Max WoW Computer.

Anvel

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Hi,

Im looking for a build to max out world of warcraft. Ive been playing casually on my very old shitty laptop since it was released and with the release of the expansion im ready to upgrade. I will be using this computer for gaiming almost exclusivley and would love any suggestions on components. I plan on building it myself and I want absolute max settings on a 20.1" 1600x1200 LCD. My budget is between $1000-1500.
I'm very interested in keeping it upgradable friendly. Thanks to any posters I really appreciate it.

Anvel

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Oh i forgot I've never overclocked a system before but I plan on overclocking this one as much as possible to get the most bang for my buck.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Get what DaClan member rwaritsdario got:

Asus P5B deluxe
Intel Xeon 3050
Diamond X1950XT
SuperTalent 800CL4 2GB
Seagate 7200.10 320GB
XClio GreatPower 650W
Silverstone FM121 (or fans of your choosing)
NZXT Apollo black (or a case of your choosing)
Tuniq-120.

That'll run World of Warcraft at max settings with ease and it's entirely within your budget.

Best of luck

OFF TOPIC (...kinda)Questions:
Do you play Horde or Alliance?
On what server?

Anvel

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Alliance on Scarlet Crusade

Anything components will net me a greater gain by dropping in more money and maybe skimping on another. I.E. Im thinking the bulk of my money should go towards Video card but I dont wanna skimp to much that I bottle neck it with inferior parts in other parts of the build.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
no no no

A gaming sys is so simple.

C2D, 2 gigs RAM, 8800 vid card, P965 or 680i mobo

NO NUBCAKE DONT DO THAT....

...if you do that then we get hundreds of threads with people asking "What 8800 card is good for me?" or "Is this build good for DX10?" or "G80 or r600?" or "Will this card hold me over?" or "Is the e6600 worth paying more than a e6400?" or "What chipset is better for my needs?" or "What is the difference between pc2-6400 and pc2-8000 memory?" or "What is a good motherboard?" or "What is the best aftermarket heatsink for my build?" or "Should I buy or build?" or "Will this fit in my case?" or "What is a good case for my build?" or "Help my system isn't starting!" or "Did I do this right?" or "How do you like this setup?" or "Getting this system tonight plz hlp" or my personal favorite "What is the best computer I don't know absolutely anything?".....UGH the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on......and it's all pointless fud.

In the end all he wants is a computer that is the absolute best "Bang for the buck within $1000-1500." He wants to make sure that he can run Wow and TBC at max settings on his 20.1" 1600x1200 LCD. So don't ever do that again Asusman. I make his job and everyone else' job ezier.

He can even overclock like a madman with this build if he wants to sometime in the future. Micron D9 memory, ~550fsb on the P5B DLX, the modular psu is a favorite among people that like a clean case, and the 3000series Xeons outperform the standard Core 2 Duo's by creating less heat and running more efficiently thus allowing for higher overclocks.

Never do that again Asusman...ever.

SO AGAIN I SAY

Get what DaClan member rwaritsdario got:

Asus P5B deluxe
Intel Xeon 3050
Diamond X1950XT
SuperTalent 800CL4 2GB
Seagate 7200.10 320GB
XClio GreatPower 650W
Silverstone FM121 (or fans of your choosing)
NZXT Apollo black (or a case of your choosing)
Tuniq-120.

Best of Luck Anvel
~3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
LOL, nah, I've just been on these forums long enough to realize mistakes like the one you made and I have since learned from it. 8)

MarkPatterson

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
why would U buy a Xeon chip for WoW? - Xeon CPU's are designed so that u can have two of them (or more).

as u will not be buying two Xeon CPUs then go with C2D CPU and u can install what I would call 'normall' ram, instead of the Fully un-buffered Xeon stuff.

WoW, Unless im not mistaken, does not use more then 2 cores, and thus a Xeon chip is pointless. U only buy Xeons when u want to double CPU system and have the advantage of 2Xthe N CPU

Even if WoW does use more then two cores in the future, its not a CPU heavy game, GPU speed is more important here. WoW doesnt have loads of physics going on so why bother?

Essentially WoW is a video game, it doesnt have special specs or anything, a fast GPU, fast ram and quick HD will proivde u with a decent FPS rating.

Xeons have no place here unless u plan on getting a dual CPU system.

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
WoW, even at max details/aa on 1600*1200 is not demanding.
It doesnt need a particularly powerful CPU, GPU, or more than 1gig of memory.

I won't go and pick out components for you, but I can guarantee that a system that satisfies these minimum requirements will play WoW at any settings your heart desires.

1Gb RAM (obviously the more the merrier)
7900GS card or higher (x1950Pro, 7900GT, etc ... any card of that category)

CPU

E6300 (or any Pentium D/Pentium 4 3Ghz+, but these are hard to recommend now that C2D is out)
OR

AMD 3500+ (although a slower 3000+ will probably do fine too) or X2 3800 or higher.

Although at this point it certainly makes more sense to go with a Core2, any p965-based budget motherboard will do if you're not planning on heavy overclocking.

Like I said, this game is NOT demanding relative to a lot of games released in 2006. You should be able to squeeze everything into a 1K budget easily (assuming you have your monitor already).

CHeers

mabaty

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I used to play WoW @ 1920x1200 with a Pentium M @2.0ghz, 1GB of ram, and nvidia 6800, had an average of about 19-35 fps.....so with that said a core 2 or AMD x2 proc will do fine, at least 1gb of ram (try for 2) and at least a 7900GS or GT if you bought a 8800GTS you would put WoW on its knees and your internet connection would prolly be your bottleneck. get a P965 or 680i mobo and atleast a 600-650watt psu.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
why would U buy a Xeon chip for WoW? - Xeon CPU's are designed so that u can have two of them (or more).

LOL, NO....do some research next time before blurting flase information. The xeon3000 series are single processor server solutions that are manufactured the exact same way as the Core 2 Duo counterparts and manufactured on the same machine. Then they are tested, and the Core 2 Duos that outperform the others get rebranded as a xeons because they handle stress better.

There is no need for a xeon for WoW, i would go with Core 2.

There is a huge need if you want top performance for bottom dollar. The xeon3000 series are Core 2 Duos that can handle more stress, use less voltage, and generate less heat.....the xeons are the smarter choice.

============

Hey noobs I'm back, next time plz do your research. I said xeon 3000series. They are the exact same thing as there core 2 duo bothers. They are dual core processors and they do not run alongside another xeon like the old ones did. Never speak false information in these forums....do your research first everytime.

The xeon 3050 is the same exact processor as the e6400 but it was relabled as a xeon because it can handle more stress, generate less heat and therfore overclock higher which is perfect for workstations.

The xeon 3060 is the same exact processor as the e6600 but it was relabled as a xeon because it can handle more stress, generate less heat and therfore overclock higher which is perfect for workstations.

xeon3050 compared to a e6400

Now compare the xeon3060 to the e6600

You'll see they are the same exact processors, the xeons are just made to handle more stress, generate less heat and operate at lower voltages....and therefore the xeons are a much smarter option.

They are a little more expensive...but worth it if you have the money and want a solid machine that can handle more stress.

I hope you guys all learned something,
~3lfk1ng

mabaty

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I'm sorry i am such a "noob". anyway he can go xeon if he wants but its just a WoW pc he could run the game however he wants with just an x2 3800, I thought the xeon just had more cache?? 4 instead of 2 for those models i dunno maybe i am wrong, whatever.

Syaoran04

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
wow that guy seriously needs to get off the estrogen.... a C2D or a X2 is fine.... not to mention its NOT WORTH IT. FB-DIMM more expensive then regular DDR2 so there is absolutely no point.. the guy wants to overclock not be as secure as the pentagon (ok bad metaphor) but seriously a E6400 or 6600 if you want to go intel and a 5000+ or 5200+ if you want to go AMD. as for video card if you like Nvidia go with the 8800GTX if you like ATI get like a x1950GT and wait for the R600's to come out. as for ram.... 2gb of DDR2-800 is recommended. DDR2-1000 would be nice if its in your budget but 800 is fine too. but 2gb to be future proof. and everything else is pretty much your preference. also think about a creative labs X-Fi to offload some work from the CPU. i'm assuming you dont have a screen yet otherwise you would have told us. so you have to budget in another maybe 300-400 bucks for a screen.

for my preference i would go something like this

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
DFI Infinity CFX3200
2x1024mb OCZ plat. DDR2-800
X1900XTX ( or if you want to wait X1900GT)
creative labs X-fi
dell 20.1" flat screen

something like that is fine...

if anyone else has a C2D based system go ahead and post it.. i'm not too up to date on C2D/mobo prices so eiya...

i have a x2 4400+ with 2gb of ddr1 and a x1900GT and it runs 1280x1024 fine and my friend has a Pent. D 820 with 1gb ddr2-533 x1900GT and he runs at 1600x1200 fine as well.

i'm sorry but anyone that tells you to go buy a xeon chip to play WoW is either smoking too much pot or is a complete retard. if he was going to go out and buy a Xeon why the hell doesnt he just buy the socket 1207 quad FX. but i'm not here to flame i'm here to help so those are some of my suggestions. especially since your a first time overclocker those are some good ways to start getting your hands dirty and still be able to run a good system the xeon might be a little too advanced for you still (maybe)

MarkPatterson

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Im fully aware of what a Xeon chip is - but the No.1 main point to a Xeon CPU is so you can have two of them.

And this is WoW you do not need two of them - so instead of buying the Xeon chip buy a C2D that will still be more then capable at running a game, which lets face it, is hardley Oblivion level graphics.

The argument placed here for the Xeon chip essentially means that every single person on earth who has bough a C2D - well, your all stupid because the Xeon blah blah blah is better at staying slightly cooler? yeah, what ever.

Lets not mention the fact u need different ram or anything....

what a load of rubbish.

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
You never read what he said. The Xeon 30x0 series is THE SAME AS THE CORE 2's. They both use socket 775, both use regular old DDRII Ram. So let me reiterate; THEY ARE IDENTICAL CHIPS JUST BINNED DIFFERENTLY

MarkPatterson

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Ok my bad on the Ram I didnt realise they used normall ram so to speak - im still not sure why I would want to spend the extra bucks on the xeon tho.

All this talk of 'it can handle more stress' is a very loose statement to make - Whats the suggestion here? that the xeon can cope with more? more what exactlly? and compared to what? a C2D?

whats being asked here? the statement doesnt make any sense.it reads as if C2D might pull to many CPU cycles, and erm, over stress itself?

they are both the same chip, they do the same job, the C2D actually overclocks faster - according to the links provided - and costs less money then the Xeon.

If the talk about stress, is related to reliablity then thats another issue, but I highly doubt that C2D breakdown due to stress if you play WoW to much...

so in short.

C2D and the Xeon chips mentioned here are in fact the same chip but the Xeon was designed for server use and working with other Xeon chips - u pay for that.

Will you ever work the C2D to the point of failure ie, over stress it, as the man calls it?

I doubt it.

Save some $, buy a C2D - overclock it beyond the Xeon, spending your extra $ you save from not buying the Xeon, and voila - faster CPU to play WoW... not that U needed it.

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Hi,

Im looking for a build to max out world of warcraft. Ive been playing casually on my very old shitty laptop since it was released and with the release of the expansion im ready to upgrade. I will be using this computer for gaiming almost exclusivley and would love any suggestions on components. I plan on building it myself and I want absolute max settings on a 20.1" 1600x1200 LCD. My budget is between $1000-1500.
I'm very interested in keeping it upgradable friendly. Thanks to any posters I really appreciate it.

Well if all you want is to run WOW. I will sell you my computer. I can run it maxed out at 1280x1024 at over 150fps.

P4 3.4 with H/T
2Gig DDR 2 400
160GIG HDD
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
ATI X850xt
CDRW/DVDRW

I paid a toal of 800 for this over the course of 3 years. It will do ya just fine for WOW.

G

I a sick of this 3lfk1ng guy calling everybody with a different opinion a noob. Seems like he was raised with liquid wisdom...scheeesch... /ignore

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
The point of going with the Xeons is that they cost just a little bit more (about 20$) but they come from better bins.
This because they're sold to be used 24/7 doing services which can results in millions of dollars of losses if interrupted due to a failure.
So coming from better bins, they run cooler, possibly at lower voltages and possibly reaching maximum higher overclocks than their comparable desktop parts.
Same goes for Opterons VS Athlon X2.

absolute512

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
Here it goes:

*A medium/ High end GPU (Radeon X1900/X1950 or GF 7900GS) with at least 256MB Ram - right now there is no need to spend the extra bucks on a GF8800 since I don't see WoW becoming DX10-only for quite some time.

*As for Ram the old story applies, the more is better, so go for 2GB Kingston HyperX or Corsair XMS

*As for the debate over the Processor C2D is cheaper and will fit your budgt nicely, a 6400 should do fine. There is no use going for the Xeon 3000 on a regular P965 board since it would be overkill.

*Mainboard - your choice between Asus, Gigabyte & MSI. Personally i'd recommend the P5B deluxe.

*HDD a Seagate or Maxtor 320GB drive SATA or look for those bargain 160 drives & set 2 of them up in raid 0 this should give u a nice speedup (you will need a Floppy drive to set this up)

*Optical drive, any DVDR/RW drive should be fine. LG offers great bang per buck

*Case Lian Li PC-G50B one of the best alu cases around there w/ great cooling management.

OS WinXP Pro

Price
CPU - ca.220
MB - ca. 180
RAM - ca. 250
GPU - ca. 270
HDD - ca. 90
Optical Drive - ca. 25
Case ca. 125
OS - ca. 140 (oem)

Total 1300

Now to the Xeon Debate: Cchips are made on wafers those parts that came from the center of the wafer usually are of better quality than those from the outer parts - for example the venerable i875 was exactly the same chip as the i865 (as asus prooved by enabling performace boost on the i865 chipset). I know those are chipsets , but it's the same thing with CPU's, i used that example to proove a point. Since the parts in the center are better they CAN HANDLE MORE STRESS & actlually work better than C2D & ARE ACTUALLY MORE STABLE OVERCLOCKERS than their c2d Counterparts. And everybody that says workstation CPU's aren't good gaming CPU's should complain with AMD for developing 4x4, make fun of profeccional gamers than go to the LAN-Party with heir Opteron/Xeon Rigg...

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Xeons are optimized for shunting data back and forth over networks, not for doing physics calculations and such.

You're doing to same thing as recommending a FireGL for gamer. C2D's are built specifically with gaming in mind, and would work far better for WoW.

In reality though, just get a cheap Athlon for WoW, because it runs smoothly on any CPU these days.
-cm

G

Xeons are optimized for shunting data back and forth over networks, not for doing physics calculations and such.

You're doing to same thing as recommending a FireGL for gamer. C2D's are built specifically with gaming in mind, and would work far better for WoW.

In reality though, just get a cheap Athlon for WoW, because it runs smoothly on any CPU these days.
-cm

Go with this advice I'd suggest.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
No, not at all.
Xeon 3000 are EXACTLY the same as C2D from an architectural point of view.
Clock for clock they are exactly as fast, they don't have any kind of special optimization.
The only difference is that they are from better bins, so they run cooler and potentially overclock better.
Different is the case for Netburst based Xeons, which are *not* recommended here.

FireGL card usually share the GPU with their desktop counterparts, but have special drivers to suit workstation usages.
This is not true for Xeon CPUs (there's no driver to tell what they can do and how).