Is this a good psu to buy

G

While it does seam like a nice unit and is top quality, for 3$ more (not counting MIR), you can grab that corsair.

The one you linked has 'only' 36Amps on the 12v where as the Corsair has 50Amps, big difference!
You might/might not like the corsair cale, I think they're pretty neat and work well

BoomBatz

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
It is to weak in the rails, you need to get something like the ultra v 500 watt. This way you will have good solid rails with plenty of headroom. Plus the ultra v doe not have the pfc. (Pricey Fan clutch) so it will be far cheeper, and will last much longer.

Magnificent

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
well what i am planning is to get the new dfi intel crossfire mobo and get a c2d e6400 and as soon as the r600 comes out pop one of those in there and then when i get some more money crossfire then and reason for this board is the insane overclockability so i hope that helped you.

G

If you plan to go Xfire at some point no 620W will cut it(from what we know of the R600).

The minimum would probably be a PC power & cooling silencer 750W and even then we are not quite sure.

If you want 1 R600+RD600+Oced, I still suggest the Corsair HX620W, really nice PSU

Magnificent

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I would like to know exactly what the rails are on the enermax and then reason why the r600 and rd600 are not able to run on the ps, i heard that it could get by even on 600 but it was a tank of a psu

G

Guru3d
http://www.guru3d.com/admin/imageview.php?image=6505

as opposed to:
WEB_PS_3-TABLE.gif

Notice how even the 520 gives more power where it's important

BoomBatz

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
If you want to know how strong your rail is, strip down to your knickers, stuff tin foilf into the front of your knickers, and stick a fork into your electric outlet.

G

It has 2 X 22 Amps rail, these cannot be used at 100% at the same time, the maximum it will output on the 12V is 36Amps or 432W(combined)

If you look at the Corsair it have 50Amps or 600W on the 12V.

12V is key because almost all components use it, the biggest sucker are CPU and GPU.

G

I did not mentioned it, I pushed it down his throat tank you very much
:D

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
It is to weak in the rails, you need to get something like the ultra v 500 watt. This way you will have good solid rails with plenty of headroom. Plus the ultra v doe not have the pfc. (Pricey Fan clutch) so it will be far cheeper, and will last much longer.

There is a reason it is cheaper... because the Ultra psu's suck (to put in language you will understand).

Please don't recommend a product with little to no knowledge on the subject of psu's. Just because you own a computer doesn't make you an expert.

tim851

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
If you plan to go Xfire at some point no 620W will cut it(from what we know of the R600).

Ok, so far, all we know about the R600 is some Inquirer spread bs, which means it's almost guaranteed to be wrong.

But those rumors actually hint to dedicated PSUs for the graphics card. So "from what we know of the R600", any 300W PSU will do, because the new Radeon allegedly won't be charging it anyways...

Ruger384

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I have a question about the power supplies. On the back were there is a switch to select "combined" or "split" what do you select & what do they mean?

Thanks in advance

G

Well better safe then sorry. Still from what we know it should at least be comparable to the G80 if not more, the G80 doesn't need it's own PSU, so it's a safe to assume the R600 won't.

I was just putting some perspective so he doesn't buy a 620 and think he's all set!