Win XP Pro activation

Hello! My brother in law bought a Microsoft bundled Win XP Pro + Office Pro +
Visual Studio.net original software in October 2003. He never installed it.
He bought a new pc last week and asked the pc vendor to install and activate
the Win XP pro for him. However, this was unsuccesful and message # 45092
keeps re-appearing. He has 28 days left for activation. We were referred to
phone Microsoft in Lebanon but the lines are continuously busy (apart from
the time difference!).
Our questions are:
1. Can we (from Malta) contact someone from Microsoft located closer (Italy,
UK) to solve this problem, maybe even through Internet rather than the phone?
2. Can we check whether the serial number we have affixed on the original
software was actually used by someone else, when it was activated and in
which location?
3. What are our rights in such circumstances?
Pls help and advise. Thanks in advance.
Louis Aquilina

It sounds like your brother acquired an OEM version meant to
be installed on a specific computer manufacturer's computer.
If that is the case, XP it is bios-locked to a specific computer and
can only be activated on the specific computer it was meant for.

Contacting Microsoft is not an option since Microsoft offers no
support for OEM versions of its software.

Also, Microsoft does not sell a "bundled Win XP Pro + Office Pro +
Visual Studio.net" package.

Only thing you can do is to purchase a conventional "Retail Full Version"
of Windows XP pro and perform a repair install.

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Louis Aquilina" wrote:

| Hello! My brother in law bought a Microsoft bundled Win XP Pro + Office Pro +
| Visual Studio.net original software in October 2003. He never installed it.
| He bought a new pc last week and asked the pc vendor to install and activate
| the Win XP pro for him. However, this was unsuccesful and message # 45092
| keeps re-appearing. He has 28 days left for activation. We were referred to
| phone Microsoft in Lebanon but the lines are continuously busy (apart from
| the time difference!).
| Our questions are:
| 1. Can we (from Malta) contact someone from Microsoft located closer (Italy,
| UK) to solve this problem, maybe even through Internet rather than the phone?
| 2. Can we check whether the serial number we have affixed on the original
| software was actually used by someone else, when it was activated and in
| which location?
| 3. What are our rights in such circumstances?
| Pls help and advise. Thanks in advance.
| Louis Aquilina

Hello Carey,
First of all tks for your prompt answer. Yes, Microsoft DID sell this
bundled software as part of an agreement between Microsoft and the Government
of Malta. Over 30,000 copies were sold to teachers and students in Malta. In
fact I bought one myself in 2003!
The pc my bro-in-law bought was bare (no software installed) and should not
have presented any problems. In fact we confirmed with the pc vendor that
other students who actually bought a bare pc and got the same software
installed had no problem in activating Win XP.
A question: Is there a time limit for an activation key to be used? There is
no mention of this in the literature accompanying the software, but it's good
to check.
Tks & Rgds,
Louis

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> It sounds like your brother acquired an OEM version meant to
> be installed on a specific computer manufacturer's computer.
> If that is the case, XP it is bios-locked to a specific computer and
> can only be activated on the specific computer it was meant for.
>
> Contacting Microsoft is not an option since Microsoft offers no
> support for OEM versions of its software.
>
> Also, Microsoft does not sell a "bundled Win XP Pro + Office Pro +
> Visual Studio.net" package.
>
> Only thing you can do is to purchase a conventional "Retail Full Version"
> of Windows XP pro and perform a repair install.
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Louis Aquilina" wrote:
>
> | Hello! My brother in law bought a Microsoft bundled Win XP Pro + Office Pro +
> | Visual Studio.net original software in October 2003. He never installed it.
> | He bought a new pc last week and asked the pc vendor to install and activate
> | the Win XP pro for him. However, this was unsuccesful and message # 45092
> | keeps re-appearing. He has 28 days left for activation. We were referred to
> | phone Microsoft in Lebanon but the lines are continuously busy (apart from
> | the time difference!).
> | Our questions are:
> | 1. Can we (from Malta) contact someone from Microsoft located closer (Italy,
> | UK) to solve this problem, maybe even through Internet rather than the phone?
> | 2. Can we check whether the serial number we have affixed on the original
> | software was actually used by someone else, when it was activated and in
> | which location?
> | 3. What are our rights in such circumstances?
> | Pls help and advise. Thanks in advance.
> | Louis Aquilina

No, there is no time limit for activation before installing Windows XP.

Make sure the Windows XP Product Key is the correct one by re-entering it:

How To Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892&Product=winxp

How to activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

[Read the section titled: "How to activate Windows XP by phone]

Microsoft Activation Centers Worldwide Telephone Numbers
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Louis Aquilina" wrote:

| Hello Carey,
| First of all tks for your prompt answer. Yes, Microsoft DID sell this
| bundled software as part of an agreement between Microsoft and the Government
| of Malta. Over 30,000 copies were sold to teachers and students in Malta. In
| fact I bought one myself in 2003!
| The pc my bro-in-law bought was bare (no software installed) and should not
| have presented any problems. In fact we confirmed with the pc vendor that
| other students who actually bought a bare pc and got the same software
| installed had no problem in activating Win XP.
| A question: Is there a time limit for an activation key to be used? There is
| no mention of this in the literature accompanying the software, but it's good
| to check.
| Tks & Rgds,
| Louis

Tks Carey. I'll try to phone Lebanon again tomorrow. Best Regards, Lou

"Louis Aquilina" <Louis Aquilina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello! My brother in law bought a Microsoft bundled Win XP Pro + Office Pro +
>Visual Studio.net original software in October 2003. He never installed it.
>He bought a new pc last week and asked the pc vendor to install and activate
>the Win XP pro for him. However, this was unsuccesful and message # 45092
>keeps re-appearing. He has 28 days left for activation. We were referred to
>phone Microsoft in Lebanon but the lines are continuously busy (apart from
>the time difference!).
>Our questions are:
>1. Can we (from Malta) contact someone from Microsoft located closer (Italy,
>UK) to solve this problem, maybe even through Internet rather than the phone?
>2. Can we check whether the serial number we have affixed on the original
>software was actually used by someone else, when it was activated and in
>which location?
>3. What are our rights in such circumstances?
>Pls help and advise. Thanks in advance.
>Louis Aquilina

What is the actual error message that he gets? I can find no
references to an error message containing the value 45092 in the
Microsoft Knowledge or on a Google search.

What was the source where he purchased the software originally? Are
you satisfied that it is a legitimate software supplier or is there a
possibility that he was sold a counterfeit copy?

See
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx
for validation checking.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Hello Ron,
Tks for your reply. The software is genuine Microsoft (bundled and supplied
as part of a special agreement between MS and the Government of Malta in 2003
for students and teachers: about 30,000 copies were sold locally).
45092 is actually quoted as a message number rather than an error. A comment
is also printed on the activation screen stating that the activation code
(serial number 5 fields of 5 digits each) has already been used for too many
times! The problem is that there is no local Microsoft support office where
we can take this issue up and so we have to rely on support via Internet.
Tks & Rgds,
Louis

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Louis Aquilina" <Louis Aquilina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello! My brother in law bought a Microsoft bundled Win XP Pro + Office Pro +
> >Visual Studio.net original software in October 2003. He never installed it.
> >He bought a new pc last week and asked the pc vendor to install and activate
> >the Win XP pro for him. However, this was unsuccesful and message # 45092
> >keeps re-appearing. He has 28 days left for activation. We were referred to
> >phone Microsoft in Lebanon but the lines are continuously busy (apart from
> >the time difference!).
> >Our questions are:
> >1. Can we (from Malta) contact someone from Microsoft located closer (Italy,
> >UK) to solve this problem, maybe even through Internet rather than the phone?
> >2. Can we check whether the serial number we have affixed on the original
> >software was actually used by someone else, when it was activated and in
> >which location?
> >3. What are our rights in such circumstances?
> >Pls help and advise. Thanks in advance.
> >Louis Aquilina
>
> What is the actual error message that he gets? I can find no
> references to an error message containing the value 45092 in the
> Microsoft Knowledge or on a Google search.
>
> What was the source where he purchased the software originally? Are
> you satisfied that it is a legitimate software supplier or is there a
> possibility that he was sold a counterfeit copy?
>
> See
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx
> for validation checking.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

Try this, run the activation wizard but when you do, instead of using the
activate over the Internet option, use Activate by Phone, it should present
you with a phone number. Then explain the situation to the operator when
you call.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Louis Aquilina" <LouisAquilina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> >Pls help and advise. Thanks in advance.
>> >Louis Aquilina
>>
>> What is the actual error message that he gets? I can find no
>> references to an error message containing the value 45092 in the
>> Microsoft Knowledge or on a Google search.
>>
>> What was the source where he purchased the software originally? Are
>> you satisfied that it is a legitimate software supplier or is there a
>> possibility that he was sold a counterfeit copy?
>>
>> See
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx
>> for validation checking.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

Hello Mike. I did this. I phoned the number (in Lebanon in my case) but the
service rep said that he could not help. Is there any other MS customer rep I
can turn to? Tks again. Louis

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Try this, run the activation wizard but when you do, instead of using the
> activate over the Internet option, use Activate by Phone, it should present
> you with a phone number. Then explain the situation to the operator when
> you call.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Louis Aquilina" <LouisAquilina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Ron,
> > Tks for your reply. The software is genuine Microsoft (bundled and
> > supplied
> > as part of a special agreement between MS and the Government of Malta in
> > 2003
> > for students and teachers: about 30,000 copies were sold locally).
> > 45092 is actually quoted as a message number rather than an error. A
> > comment
> > is also printed on the activation screen stating that the activation code
> > (serial number 5 fields of 5 digits each) has already been used for too
> > many
> > times! The problem is that there is no local Microsoft support office
> > where
> > we can take this issue up and so we have to rely on support via Internet.
> > Tks & Rgds,
> > Louis

> >> What is the actual error message that he gets? I can find no
> >> references to an error message containing the value 45092 in the
> >> Microsoft Knowledge or on a Google search.
> >>
> >> What was the source where he purchased the software originally? Are
> >> you satisfied that it is a legitimate software supplier or is there a
> >> possibility that he was sold a counterfeit copy?
> >>
> >> See
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx
> >> for validation checking.
> >>
> >> Good luck
> >>

> >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> >> --
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> On-Line Help Computer Service
> >> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >>
> >> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

Well, I see by your earlier post, the problem is that the number has already
been activated. No, there is no means of finding who and where. By the
same token, since you are the legitimate owner of the product, I'm surprised
they didn't offer you a new activation number assuming the product you have
has proper certificates of authentication. If you have the "certs," you
might try calling them back because those would at least show you are the
legitimate owner.

Beyond that, there's not much I can offer.

--

> Hello Mike. I did this. I phoned the number (in Lebanon in my case) but
> the
> service rep said that he could not help. Is there any other MS customer
> rep I
> can turn to? Tks again. Louis
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Try this, run the activation wizard but when you do, instead of using the
>> activate over the Internet option, use Activate by Phone, it should
>> present
>> you with a phone number. Then explain the situation to the operator when
>> you call.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Louis Aquilina" <LouisAquilina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Hello Ron,
>> > Tks for your reply. The software is genuine Microsoft (bundled and
>> > supplied
>> > as part of a special agreement between MS and the Government of Malta
>> > in
>> > 2003
>> > for students and teachers: about 30,000 copies were sold locally).
>> > 45092 is actually quoted as a message number rather than an error. A
>> > comment
>> > is also printed on the activation screen stating that the activation
>> > code
>> > (serial number 5 fields of 5 digits each) has already been used for too
>> > many
>> > times! The problem is that there is no local Microsoft support office
>> > where
>> > we can take this issue up and so we have to rely on support via
>> > Internet.
>> > Tks & Rgds,
>> > Louis

Tks Mike. I'll try calling them again. Rgds, Louis

You're welcome, good luck.

--

> [...]

>>> Pls help and advise. Thanks in advance.
>>> Louis Aquilina
>>
>> What is the actual error message that he gets? I can find no
>> references to an error message containing the value 45092 in the
>> Microsoft Knowledge or on a Google search.
>>
>> What was the source where he purchased the software originally? Are
>> you satisfied that it is a legitimate software supplier or is there a
>> possibility that he was sold a counterfeit copy?
>>
>> See
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx
>> for validation checking.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

With that error message that the activation code has been used too many
times you will not be able to activate it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hello All!
Tks for the support and feedback. I really appreciate it. Today I called MS
Lebanon and confirmed that my product key was used by someone else. They
stated that the product was activated sometime in November 2004 but no exact
date/time/IP address was quoted. How can I proceed to get this info? Is there
any place on the WWW where I can check at least the date & time my product
key was used?
Tks in advance & Best Rgds,
Louis

TRENDING THREADS