Moving System Tray

I like to have a vertical task bar with the system tray at the bottom. I
have just done a new installation of Win2000 and the system tray is at the
top of the task bar, next to the start button. I can't figure any way to
move it to the bottom although in another Win2000 installation, that is where
it is. Any thoughts?

Rocky

Go to a blank portion of the task bar, pick it up with the left mouse button,
and drag it to where you want it, and release the button.

"NDeL" wrote:

> I like to have a vertical task bar with the system tray at the bottom. I
> have just done a new installation of Win2000 and the system tray is at the
> top of the task bar, next to the start button. I can't figure any way to
> move it to the bottom although in another Win2000 installation, that is where
> it is. Any thoughts?

Its not moving the task bar which is the problem (I have, obviously, done
that by having made it vertical), it is the location of the system tray on
the task bar once the task bar has been moved. The system tray does not seem
to be movable by traditional (grab and move) means.

On my Win2000 office machine, from which I write now, the system tray starts
at the top of the vertical task bar on initialization, but jumps to the
bottom (where I want it) as Windows loads up after login. It is that jump to
the bottom which does not happen on my new install which I am trying to have
occur.

"Rocky" wrote:

> Go to a blank portion of the task bar, pick it up with the left mouse button,
> and drag it to where you want it, and release the button.
>

> "NDeL" wrote:
>
> > I like to have a vertical task bar with the system tray at the bottom. I
> > have just done a new installation of Win2000 and the system tray is at the
> > top of the task bar, next to the start button. I can't figure any way to
> > move it to the bottom although in another Win2000 installation, that is where
> > it is. Any thoughts?

Quite by happenstance, I have solved the problem: The location of the system
tray on the vertical task bar is dependent on the width of the task bar. If
the space taken-up by the system tray icons is less than the task bar width
minus the Start button width, then the system tray is at the top adjacent to
the Start button; if not, it moves to the bottom (where it will have more
room to try to be on a single line). That was only about two hours of
searching and experimenting down the rat hole!