Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool??????

January 13, 2005 1:41:07 AM

I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
Software Removal Tool.
Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
it?
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:41:08 AM

If you have kept up to date with all the critical updates to this point you
won't need this tool. If you have a good firewall and anti-virus
application running you are also protected. It is my understanding that
this thing will spring to life on demand. If a "malicious software"
application tries to install itself or run, this tool is supposed to start
up and stop it. Again, if you have a good firewall and anti-virus
application running and updated and you have installed all previous critical
updates, you will never need this.

I would guess that it would be incorporated into the Windows Security applet
in Control Panel, if you are running the SP2 update to XP.

"Bradstock" <brad@boing.me> wrote in message
> I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
> Software Removal Tool.
> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
> it?

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:41:08 AM

In news:cs4928$h5f$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk,
Bradstock <brad@boing.me> typed:

>I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows
>Malicious
> Software Removal Tool.
> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and
> how do I
> run it?

It isn't anywhere and you don't run it. It already ran itself (it
doesn't actually install), and presumably found nothing. You can
find the results in the log file mrt.log in \windows\debug

Please reply to the newsgroup
January 13, 2005 1:41:08 AM

check here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830 You will see that when the
tool is downloaded via Windows Update it automatically runs in quiet mode

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Bradstock" <brad@boing.me> wrote in message
>I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
>Software Removal Tool.
> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
> it?

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:41:08 AM

Bradstock wrote:
> I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
> Software Removal Tool.
> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
> it?

It seems to run automatically when you do a Windows update. After it
installed itself I did some poking around and discovered it left a log
file of it's activity. Found no problems.

Bill
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:41:08 AM

Bradstock wrote:
> I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
> Software Removal Tool.
> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
> it?

You need to read the KB Article that describes the use of this tool.
The tool is updated the second Tuesday of each month, appears as a
"Critical Update" on the Windows Update site, and runs only when
"downloaded." Nothing is installed; there's nothing to run at a later date.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890830

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:03:27 AM

Well, yes. I got every security update plus SP2 and the rest already
running.
I too expected it would appear in the Windows Security applet
in Control Panel but it doesn't.

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o oTkUmP%23EHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> If you have kept up to date with all the critical updates to this point
> you
> won't need this tool. If you have a good firewall and anti-virus
> application running you are also protected. It is my understanding that
> this thing will spring to life on demand. If a "malicious software"
> application tries to install itself or run, this tool is supposed to start
> up and stop it. Again, if you have a good firewall and anti-virus
> application running and updated and you have installed all previous
> critical
> updates, you will never need this.
>
> I would guess that it would be incorporated into the Windows Security
> applet
> in Control Panel, if you are running the SP2 update to XP.
>
> "Bradstock" <brad@boing.me> wrote in message
>> I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
>> Software Removal Tool.
>> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
>> it?

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:08:36 AM

There follows the best plain English explanation I have so far seen:

<quote>
Starting from January 11th, 2005, Microsoft will provide Windows
customers with Malicious Software Removal Tools. New versions of these
tools will be available monthly (second Tuesday of every month on the
same schedule that Microsoft already delivers other security updates) or
more frequently if necessary.

These removal tools are an extension of virus or worm specific removal
tools that Microsoft released in 2004. While tools released in 2004 have
been specific to a single virus (and some of its variants), the new
removal tools provide more convenience for customers by rolling up all
viruses and variants targeted into a common removal tool.

Microsoft will provide new versions of this tool updated to remove
malicious software that is found to be prevalent for that month. The
first version of the tool available in January will be able to remove
Blaster, Sasser, MyDoom, DoomJuice, Zindos, Berweb (also known as
Download.Ject), Gailbot and Nachi viruses / worms.

These removal tools will be made available to customers through the
following delivery vehicles:
- As a download through the Microsoft Download Center
- As a critical update through Windows Update and through Auto Update
for those customers who have Auto Update turned on
- As an ActiveX control also available at
www.microsoft.com/malwareremove

Additional Information

For additional information about today's announcements regarding
Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware and Microsoft Malicious Software Removal
Tools, please see the public press release located here:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jan05/01-...
</quote>

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Well, yes. I got every security update plus SP2 and the rest already
> running.
> I too expected it would appear in the Windows Security applet
> in Control Panel but it doesn't.
>
> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o oTkUmP%23EHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> If you have kept up to date with all the critical updates to this
>> point you
>> won't need this tool. If you have a good firewall and anti-virus
>> application running you are also protected. It is my understanding
>> that
>> this thing will spring to life on demand. If a "malicious software"
>> application tries to install itself or run, this tool is supposed to
>> start
>> up and stop it. Again, if you have a good firewall and anti-virus
>> application running and updated and you have installed all previous
>> critical
>> updates, you will never need this.
>>
>> I would guess that it would be incorporated into the Windows Security
>> applet
>> in Control Panel, if you are running the SP2 update to XP.
>>
>> "Bradstock" <brad@boing.me> wrote in message
>>> I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows
>>> Malicious
>>> Software Removal Tool.
>>> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do
>>> I run
>>> it?

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:20:22 AM

Thanks Ken
And we're supposed to guess that?

> In news:cs4928$h5f$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk,
> Bradstock <brad@boing.me> typed:
>
>>I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
>> Software Removal Tool.
>> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I
>> run it?
>

> It isn't anywhere and you don't run it. It already ran itself (it doesn't
> actually install), and presumably found nothing. You can find the results
> in the log file mrt.log in \windows\debug

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:20:23 AM

In news:cs4bbp$h5f$2@news8.svr.pol.co.uk,
Bradstock <brad@boing.me> typed:

> Thanks Ken

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> And we're supposed to guess that?

I'm with you. It could have and should have been made a *lot*
clearer.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:cs4928$h5f$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk,
>> Bradstock <brad@boing.me> typed:
>>
>>>I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows
>>> Malicious Software Removal Tool.
>>> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and
>>> how do
>>> I run it?
>>

>> It isn't anywhere and you don't run it. It already ran itself
>> (it
>> doesn't actually install), and presumably found nothing. You
>> can
>> find the results in the log file mrt.log in \windows\debug
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 3:41:03 PM

"Bradstock" <brad@boing.me> wrote in message
> I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows
> Malicious Software Removal Tool.
> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I
> run it?

The tool is
Windows-KB890830-ENU.exe
The results are in C:\Windows\Debug\mrt.log

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com