Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool??????

I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
Software Removal Tool.
Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
it?
11 answers Last reply
More about windows malicious software removal tool

    If you have kept up to date with all the critical updates to this point you
    won't need this tool. If you have a good firewall and anti-virus
    application running you are also protected. It is my understanding that
    this thing will spring to life on demand. If a "malicious software"
    application tries to install itself or run, this tool is supposed to start
    up and stop it. Again, if you have a good firewall and anti-virus
    application running and updated and you have installed all previous critical
    updates, you will never need this.

    I would guess that it would be incorporated into the Windows Security applet
    in Control Panel, if you are running the SP2 update to XP.

    In news:cs4928$h5f$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Bradstock <brad@boing.me> typed:

    >I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows
    >Malicious
    > Software Removal Tool.
    > Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and
    > how do I
    > run it?

    It isn't anywhere and you don't run it. It already ran itself (it
    doesn't actually install), and presumably found nothing. You can
    find the results in the log file mrt.log in \windows\debug

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    check here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830 You will see that when the
    tool is downloaded via Windows Update it automatically runs in quiet mode

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Bradstock wrote:
    > I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
    > Software Removal Tool.
    > Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
    > it?

    It seems to run automatically when you do a Windows update. After it
    installed itself I did some poking around and discovered it left a log
    file of it's activity. Found no problems.

    Bill

    Bradstock wrote:
    > I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
    > Software Removal Tool.
    > Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
    > it?

    You need to read the KB Article that describes the use of this tool.
    The tool is updated the second Tuesday of each month, appears as a
    "Critical Update" on the Windows Update site, and runs only when
    "downloaded." Nothing is installed; there's nothing to run at a later date.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890830

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Well, yes. I got every security update plus SP2 and the rest already
    running.
    I too expected it would appear in the Windows Security applet
    in Control Panel but it doesn't.

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you have kept up to date with all the critical updates to this point
    > you
    > won't need this tool. If you have a good firewall and anti-virus
    > application running you are also protected. It is my understanding that
    > this thing will spring to life on demand. If a "malicious software"
    > application tries to install itself or run, this tool is supposed to start
    > up and stop it. Again, if you have a good firewall and anti-virus
    > application running and updated and you have installed all previous
    > critical
    > updates, you will never need this.
    >
    > I would guess that it would be incorporated into the Windows Security
    > applet
    > in Control Panel, if you are running the SP2 update to XP.
    >
    > "Bradstock" <brad@boing.me> wrote in message
    >> I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows Malicious
    >> Software Removal Tool.
    >> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I run
    >> it?

    There follows the best plain English explanation I have so far seen:

    <quote>
    Starting from January 11th, 2005, Microsoft will provide Windows
    customers with Malicious Software Removal Tools. New versions of these
    tools will be available monthly (second Tuesday of every month on the
    same schedule that Microsoft already delivers other security updates) or
    more frequently if necessary.

    These removal tools are an extension of virus or worm specific removal
    tools that Microsoft released in 2004. While tools released in 2004 have
    been specific to a single virus (and some of its variants), the new
    removal tools provide more convenience for customers by rolling up all
    viruses and variants targeted into a common removal tool.

    Microsoft will provide new versions of this tool updated to remove
    malicious software that is found to be prevalent for that month. The
    first version of the tool available in January will be able to remove
    Blaster, Sasser, MyDoom, DoomJuice, Zindos, Berweb (also known as
    Download.Ject), Gailbot and Nachi viruses / worms.

    These removal tools will be made available to customers through the
    following delivery vehicles:
    - As a download through the Microsoft Download Center
    - As a critical update through Windows Update and through Auto Update
    for those customers who have Auto Update turned on
    - As an ActiveX control also available at
    www.microsoft.com/malwareremove

    Additional Information

    For additional information about today's announcements regarding
    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware and Microsoft Malicious Software Removal
    Tools, please see the public press release located here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jan05/01-06NewSolutionsPR.asp
    </quote>

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Well, yes. I got every security update plus SP2 and the rest already
    > running.
    > I too expected it would appear in the Windows Security applet
    > in Control Panel but it doesn't.
    >
    > "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> If you have kept up to date with all the critical updates to this
    >> point you
    >> won't need this tool. If you have a good firewall and anti-virus
    >> application running you are also protected. It is my understanding
    >> that
    >> this thing will spring to life on demand. If a "malicious software"
    >> application tries to install itself or run, this tool is supposed to
    >> start
    >> up and stop it. Again, if you have a good firewall and anti-virus
    >> application running and updated and you have installed all previous
    >> critical
    >> updates, you will never need this.
    >>
    >> I would guess that it would be incorporated into the Windows Security
    >> applet
    >> in Control Panel, if you are running the SP2 update to XP.
    >>
    >> "Bradstock" <brad@boing.me> wrote in message
    >>> I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows
    >>> Malicious
    >>> Software Removal Tool.
    >>> Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do
    >>> I run
    >>> it?

    Thanks Ken
    And we're supposed to guess that?

    In news:cs4bbp$h5f$2@news8.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Bradstock <brad@boing.me> typed:

    > Thanks Ken

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    > And we're supposed to guess that?

    I'm with you. It could have and should have been made a *lot*
    clearer.

    Bradstock wrote:
    > Thanks Ken
    > And we're supposed to guess that?

    No, the KB Article announcing the tool explained it.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Bradstock" <brad@boing.me> wrote in message
    > I have just had Windows Update download & install the Windows
    > Malicious Software Removal Tool.
    > Where is it located on my PC (it's not in my Start Menu) and how do I
    > run it?

    The tool is
    Windows-KB890830-ENU.exe
    The results are in C:\Windows\Debug\mrt.log

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Start Menu Windows Update Microsoft Software Windows XP