Sign in with
Your question

Best matching hardware

Last response: in Site Feedback
May 16, 2011 11:18:39 PM

We get a lot and i mean a lot of threads asking about bottlenecks ( technically inaccurate) but thats a different thread all together.
What i want to ask is can Toms do an article from the lay mans point of view. I read your i 3 and Bottlenecking article and it was very good, i refer to it alot when answering posts.
However i feel an article that showed just when and where a GPU upgrade would not help as much as a CPU upgrade would be invaluable to those who need to know if they should upgrade the GPU or " will it Bottleneck"
With Toms resources im sure this would be possible and may i suggest its done on a entry level- Mainstream- Enthusiast basis.
Such as these cards will run fine with these entry level Cpu's in this band, then when upgrading to a mainstream GPU you should upgrade the CPU to X CPU and pair with these GPU's etc.

Mactronix :) 

More about : matching hardware

May 17, 2011 12:06:59 PM

I second this idea, one of the best suggestions I have seen in here!
May 17, 2011 12:44:55 PM

I have sent a link to this to Chris to bring up the concept with him. Thanks for the feedback!

Best Regards,
Related resources
May 17, 2011 7:05:43 PM

Thats great thanks, just hope the idea proves to be workable and Toms like it.

May 18, 2011 11:49:24 AM

+1, Great idea imo.
May 20, 2011 5:49:53 AM

Yes this is what I would be looking for but it could be a yearly (generation) series, similar to some of the monthly ones we have for GPU's and CPU's.
May 20, 2011 8:56:20 AM

Yes i agree it does seem to cover exactly the info i was looking for and as rolli said yearly updates or so to keep it currant would be sensible, any more frequent would be too much extra work load i would think.
Could we please put it up as a sticky on the Graphic & Displays Forum ? Or should i ask one of the resident Mods ?

May 20, 2011 10:07:07 AM

I will send the comments to the Tom's Staff and see what they can do about yearly updates to keep current.

I see where I can add a link to the article in the Graphics section today...
June 25, 2011 8:47:54 AM

Just wanted to let you know that the links have been getting great feed back in the forum, there is still support for the initial idea of having a article or chart simply based on the concept or these cards will run fine with these entry level Cpu's in this band, then when upgrading to a mainstream GPU you should upgrade the CPU to X CPU and pair with these GPU's etc.
The suggestion that Ram be included has been raised as well.

Muckle posted this,

Quote:
Thanks for the good articles. Makes me feel better about my setup. I wish there was an easier way to see how X proc will run with X video card with X amount of RAM etc to see how well an upgrade would work out as new stuff comes out... but with so many combinations thats difficult to catalog i guess. There's prob a thread on it somewhere

Keep up the good work

June 27, 2011 4:17:26 AM

Pauldh stickied? Way. I've known Paul since He was a John, George and Ringo too. Suprised Mac didn't recognize Pauldh as the author.
June 27, 2011 5:33:28 PM

This is exactly the kind of article I want to read. Many people would appreciate a chart format that educates how far computer can benefit from GPU upgrades with a certain proc.
!