windows 2000 logon shares

we have a setup of PDC and BDC as windows 2000 advanced server.

i find the following folders as shared folders in both the
server
SYSVOL
NETLOGON

As i am concerned that hackers should not tamper these folders.

is it required to have these folders as shared for users to access the
server or can i remove the sharing on these folders.

there are logon scripts in the PDC. more important the users should not to
be affected by this action

Do not remove those shares. SYSVOL is responsible for group policies stuff
and NETLOGON is where member workstations go to check for a default user
profile. (Not to mention logon scripts and such if your site uses them.)

"sridhar" <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> we have a setup of PDC and BDC as windows 2000 advanced server.
>
> i find the following folders as shared folders in both the
> server
> SYSVOL
> NETLOGON
>
> As i am concerned that hackers should not tamper these folders.
>
> is it required to have these folders as shared for users to access the
> server or can i remove the sharing on these folders.
>
> there are logon scripts in the PDC. more important the users should not to
> be affected by this action

I was asking if i can remove the sharing in the folders , not the folders
themselves.

"sridhar" wrote:

> we have a setup of PDC and BDC as windows 2000 advanced server.
>
> i find the following folders as shared folders in both the
> server
> SYSVOL
> NETLOGON
>
> As i am concerned that hackers should not tamper these folders.
>
> is it required to have these folders as shared for users to access the
> server or can i remove the sharing on these folders.
>
> there are logon scripts in the PDC. more important the users should not to
> be affected by this action

You need not worry about the unsharing the folders and those are required and
used by OS for working properly. These folders are shared because the
information in these folders should be accessible and is used over domain.
For example, if a user changes his password, the changed password information
needs to be replicated to the server and this happend through these folders.

"sridhar" wrote:

> I was asking if i can remove the sharing in the folders , not the folders
> themselves.
>

> "sridhar" wrote:
>
> > we have a setup of PDC and BDC as windows 2000 advanced server.
> >
> > i find the following folders as shared folders in both the
> > server
> > SYSVOL
> > NETLOGON
> >
> > As i am concerned that hackers should not tamper these folders.
> >
> > is it required to have these folders as shared for users to access the
> > server or can i remove the sharing on these folders.
> >
> > there are logon scripts in the PDC. more important the users should not to
> > be affected by this action

thanks for the info. but then how do i secure these folders, i dont want them
to be seen when some one tries accessing the server by giving \\servername
i dont want these folders to be seen.
otherthan making them hidden , is there any other way ?

"Ikram" wrote:

> You need not worry about the unsharing the folders and those are required and
> used by OS for working properly. These folders are shared because the
> information in these folders should be accessible and is used over domain.
> For example, if a user changes his password, the changed password information
> needs to be replicated to the server and this happend through these folders.
>
> "sridhar" wrote:
>
> > I was asking if i can remove the sharing in the folders , not the folders
> > themselves.
> >

> > "sridhar" wrote:
> >
> > > we have a setup of PDC and BDC as windows 2000 advanced server.
> > >
> > > i find the following folders as shared folders in both the
> > > server
> > > SYSVOL
> > > NETLOGON
> > >
> > > As i am concerned that hackers should not tamper these folders.
> > >
> > > is it required to have these folders as shared for users to access the
> > > server or can i remove the sharing on these folders.
> > >
> > > there are logon scripts in the PDC. more important the users should not to
> > > be affected by this action

TRENDING THREADS