windows installer starts when doing file search

Hello,

I recently uninstalled some software on my computer (Windows 2000 SP4)
because it was hanging up constantly, including all shared files. Now,
whenever I go into My Computer or Windows Explorer and use the Search
function, Windows Installer starts, then hangs (or at least seems to hang),
and I'm unable to search for files. I've tried running a repair with my
Windows 2000 CD, but it doesn't seem to help. What else can I do?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

what rights do you have? Give the user full rights (adm) for a while and see
what happens then.

mmbflyr1 wrote
> Hello,
>
> I recently uninstalled some software on my computer (Windows 2000 SP4)
> because it was hanging up constantly, including all shared files. Now,
> whenever I go into My Computer or Windows Explorer and use the Search
> function, Windows Installer starts, then hangs (or at least seems to
hang),
> and I'm unable to search for files. I've tried running a repair with my
> Windows 2000 CD, but it doesn't seem to help. What else can I do?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Michael

I have full rights. It turned out the problem was related to the software I
uninstalled. I told the uninstaller to delete all shared files. After I
re-installed the software from a clean copy, Windows Explorer (including the
search function) works normally.