Possibly connecting notebook hard drive to a PocketPC

March 17, 2005 2:25:11 PM

I'm wondering if it is at all possible to connect a notebook hard drive to a
PocketPC. With a rather slim and small footprint, the notebook hard drive
could serve as a portable, "external" storage for a PocketPC.

Has anyone tried this idea? Are there specific PocketPC brand / models
where this solution is feasible, and others not so much the case?

Thanks in advance for any guidance and consideration.

- H-
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:20:07 PM

"H Lee" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
news:o Jj3dcyKFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| I'm wondering if it is at all possible to connect a notebook hard
drive to a
| PocketPC. With a rather slim and small footprint, the notebook hard
drive
| could serve as a portable, "external" storage for a PocketPC.
|
| Has anyone tried this idea? Are there specific PocketPC brand /
models
| where this solution is feasible, and others not so much the case?
|
| Thanks in advance for any guidance and consideration.
|
| - H-

You could connect a USB drive if your device is a master socket, but
most aren't. The usual hard drives are IDE which is a totally different
interface. Another alternative is to use a ppc that has a CFII card
slot and use a microdrive- my Asus can and does.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:20:08 PM

Thanks for the info.

Would there be any sort of, say, CF to USB dongle adapter, or proprietary
PPC USB adapters, that could perhaps enable a PPC to become a master socket?

I have considered the CF-II + Microdrive implementation, but the more
storage space I have in as small of a footprint as possible, the better.

Thanks,
- H -

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 1coqh$8tp$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "H Lee" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> news:o Jj3dcyKFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> | I'm wondering if it is at all possible to connect a notebook hard
> drive to a
> | PocketPC. With a rather slim and small footprint, the notebook hard
> drive
> | could serve as a portable, "external" storage for a PocketPC.
> |
> | Has anyone tried this idea? Are there specific PocketPC brand /
> models
> | where this solution is feasible, and others not so much the case?
> |
> | Thanks in advance for any guidance and consideration.
> |
> | - H-
> |

> You could connect a USB drive if your device is a master socket, but
> most aren't. The usual hard drives are IDE which is a totally different
> interface. Another alternative is to use a ppc that has a CFII card
> slot and use a microdrive- my Asus can and does.

Related resources
March 17, 2005 11:20:09 PM

There are several Pocket PCs with USB Host capability such as the Toshiba
E8xx series. The problem is they cannot provide adequate power to run a USB
hard drive. Therefore you need a source of power for the drive plus the
connecting wires to the ppc. The whole thing becomes ungainly and anything
but portable. Plus the interface is 1.1 so even initializing a large disc
can take forever. Stick with the microdrives or cards.
Terry

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Would there be any sort of, say, CF to USB dongle adapter, or proprietary
> PPC USB adapters, that could perhaps enable a PPC to become a master
> socket?
>
> I have considered the CF-II + Microdrive implementation, but the more
> storage space I have in as small of a footprint as possible, the better.
>
> Thanks,
> - H -
>

> "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 1coqh$8tp$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> "H Lee" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
>> news:o Jj3dcyKFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> | I'm wondering if it is at all possible to connect a notebook hard
>> drive to a
>> | PocketPC. With a rather slim and small footprint, the notebook hard
>> drive
>> | could serve as a portable, "external" storage for a PocketPC.
>> |
>> | Has anyone tried this idea? Are there specific PocketPC brand /
>> models
>> | where this solution is feasible, and others not so much the case?
>> |
>> | Thanks in advance for any guidance and consideration.
>> |
>> | - H-
>> |

>> You could connect a USB drive if your device is a master socket, but
>> most aren't. The usual hard drives are IDE which is a totally different
>> interface. Another alternative is to use a ppc that has a CFII card
>> slot and use a microdrive- my Asus can and does.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:20:59 AM

I think that 4 Gb may be the current maximum size, you'll need to check
retailers in your country (?), but check out and compare price to
normal flash memory before committing-
in the uk from one supplier (scan) the flash is less expensive than the
microdrive at 4Gb.
Also magicstor is less expensive than the IBM at around 2Gb. Usual
thing really- price checking.

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
| There are several Pocket PCs with USB Host capability such as the
Toshiba
| E8xx series. The problem is they cannot provide adequate power to run
a USB
| hard drive. Therefore you need a source of power for the drive plus
the
| connecting wires to the ppc. The whole thing becomes ungainly and
anything
| but portable. Plus the interface is 1.1 so even initializing a large
disc
| can take forever. Stick with the microdrives or cards.
| Terry
|
| "H Lee" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
| > Thanks for the info.
| >
| > Would there be any sort of, say, CF to USB dongle adapter, or
proprietary
| > PPC USB adapters, that could perhaps enable a PPC to become a
master
| > socket?
| >
| > I have considered the CF-II + Microdrive implementation, but the
more
| > storage space I have in as small of a footprint as possible, the
better.

| > Thanks,
| > - H -
| >

| > "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| > news:D 1coqh$8tp$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
| >>
| >> "H Lee" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
| >> news:o Jj3dcyKFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| >> drive to a
| >> drive
| >> |
| >> models
case?
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

| >> You could connect a USB drive if your device is a master socket,
but
| >> most aren't. The usual hard drives are IDE which is a totally
different
| >> interface. Another alternative is to use a ppc that has a CFII
card
| >> slot and use a microdrive- my Asus can and does.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:35:45 PM

Alan, appreciate all the help

I've definitely seen the microdrives. Didn't know a bout MagicStor- will
look into them. I'm trying to play with ideas of data growth scalability on
the PocketPC for our business application. Worse comes to worst, I'll be
crossing my fingers that the microdrive capacity limit would fit our needs
for now, but scale as our application needs grow (I know, you're probably
thinking I'm crazy for needing any more storage on a PocketPC...)

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 1ddun$ddn$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I think that 4 Gb may be the current maximum size, you'll need to check
> retailers in your country (?), but check out and compare price to
> normal flash memory before committing-
> in the uk from one supplier (scan) the flash is less expensive than the
> microdrive at 4Gb.
> Also magicstor is less expensive than the IBM at around 2Gb. Usual
> thing really- price checking.
>

> "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> | There are several Pocket PCs with USB Host capability such as the
> Toshiba
> | E8xx series. The problem is they cannot provide adequate power to run
> a USB
> | hard drive. Therefore you need a source of power for the drive plus
> the
> | connecting wires to the ppc. The whole thing becomes ungainly and
> anything
> | but portable. Plus the interface is 1.1 so even initializing a large
> disc
> | can take forever. Stick with the microdrives or cards.
> | Terry
> |
> | "H Lee" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> | > Thanks for the info.
> | >
> | > Would there be any sort of, say, CF to USB dongle adapter, or
> proprietary
> | > PPC USB adapters, that could perhaps enable a PPC to become a
> master
> | > socket?
> | >
> | > I have considered the CF-II + Microdrive implementation, but the
> more
> | > storage space I have in as small of a footprint as possible, the
> better.
> | >
> | > Thanks,
> | > - H -
> | >

> | > "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> | > news:D 1coqh$8tp$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

> hard
> hard
> | >> |
> case?
> | >> |
> | >> |
> | >> |
> | >> |

> but
> different
> card

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:05:25 PM

The advantage of using removable storage is you could put suite 1 of
programs onto one CF, suite 2 onto another CF and swap them over as
needed. The disadvantages include storing them where they won't get
lost, and security, but single card capacity could be increased later
when/if larger memory cards becomes available.

| Alan, appreciate all the help
|
| I've definitely seen the microdrives. Didn't know a bout MagicStor-
will
| look into them. I'm trying to play with ideas of data growth
scalability on
| the PocketPC for our business application. Worse comes to worst,
I'll be
| crossing my fingers that the microdrive capacity limit would fit our
needs
| for now, but scale as our application needs grow (I know, you're
probably
| thinking I'm crazy for needing any more storage on a PocketPC...)
|
| "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| news:D 1ddun$ddn$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
| > I think that 4 Gb may be the current maximum size, you'll need to
check
| > retailers in your country (?), but check out and compare price to
| > normal flash memory before committing-
| > in the uk from one supplier (scan) the flash is less expensive than
the
| > microdrive at 4Gb.
| > Also magicstor is less expensive than the IBM at around 2Gb. Usual
| > thing really- price checking.
| >

| > "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
| > | There are several Pocket PCs with USB Host capability such as the
| > Toshiba
| > | E8xx series. The problem is they cannot provide adequate power to
run
| > a USB
| > | hard drive. Therefore you need a source of power for the drive
plus
| > the
| > | connecting wires to the ppc. The whole thing becomes ungainly and
| > anything
| > | but portable. Plus the interface is 1.1 so even initializing a
large
| > disc
| > | can take forever. Stick with the microdrives or cards.
| > | Terry
| > |
| > | "H Lee" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message

| > proprietary
| > master

| > more
| > better.

| > hard
| > hard
PocketPC.
| > | >> |
| > case?
| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > but
| > different
| > card

| > |
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 1:37:02 AM

Hi,

If you own a PPC with a USB Host adapter, like the Toshiba E830 for example,
you can connect any USB external hard disk to it.
You will need a driver for this, Ratoc ( www.ratocsystems.com ) and Deje (
www.deje.gmxhome.de ) both make a driver that works.

For most external USB hard drive, the PPC won't be able to provide enough
power, so you could use a powered USB hub to connect your drive to it.

I personnaly use an Apricorn EBM-40 which is a 1.8" 40 GB hard disk in a
USB enclosure, without an external power supply and that works perfectly
with my Toshiba E830.

If your PPC doesn't have a USB Host adapter, Ratoc makes a Compact Flash
Type II card that gives you USB host capabilities.

Rikus

"H Lee" <anon@anon.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
OJj3dcyKFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> I'm wondering if it is at all possible to connect a notebook hard drive to
> PocketPC. With a rather slim and small footprint, the notebook hard drive
> could serve as a portable, "external" storage for a PocketPC.
>
> Has anyone tried this idea? Are there specific PocketPC brand / models
> where this solution is feasible, and others not so much the case?
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance and consideration.
>
> - H-

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:43:41 PM

"news" <rikusmNO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<5e6%d.70236$sC5.1859542@weber.videotron.net>...
> Hi,
>
> If you own a PPC with a USB Host adapter, like the Toshiba E830 for example,
> you can connect any USB external hard disk to it.

I'm looking for a USB Host adapter cable for my Toshiba Pocket PC.
Toshiba sells one for only 5 $ in the USA:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=242764...

(Compatible with Toshiba Pocket PC e330, e335, e350, e355, e740, e750
and e755 series)

Unfortunately they don't ship to Europe and I can't get one over here.
It's a tiny little 8" cable that would fit into a letter envelope - If
I only knew someone who could send it to me ;-)

BTW, I was thinking of buying a Cassiopeia instead of a Toshiba
because it has a built in USB Host adapter in the cradle. But the
multimedia performance of the Cassiopeia really didn't convince me.

Best Regards,
Dieter
!