dbphase

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Hello. Got a problem with a network setup we are using, wonder if anyone can offer any advice. The network is wired feeding two pc's on the ground floor and another on the first (via 'Safecom' router/modem). We've also connected a Belkin wireless g router to the main router to allow the network signal to be wireless to a laptop. Everything works fine except the wired pc on the first floor. I imagine the problem is the length of cable as it goes up and across the length of the floor, but probably totals no more than about 10m. I was wondering if there is anyway I can boost the wired signal to this PC, i've tried plugging the cable into the router and the wireless router in case one was stronger than the other, but can still get nothing on the pc. Can anyone confirm which of the two is the strongest option and if theres anything else I can do to get the maximum signal to upstairs??? Any help appreciated.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Have problem decifering your setup. Modem to Route (3 pc's) to Router (belkin Wireless). PC's connected to the first router, 2 on bottom, 1 on first floor. I would return the Belkin and get something good. They are not reliable. In you setup you only need a AP.

The problem is more likely a bad cable or port. I've used cat5 patch cables in 100' (33m) with out any problem.

Just remember if you chain routers, you can go up, but not backwards. The NAT will bock incoming. Other wise use a Hub or switch.

dbphase

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I agree its its sounds like you might have a bad cable, try another one and see if you get the same problem.

I've got a couple of laptops and one of them works on the cable, but the other one and the pc don't. I'm assuming this rules out a faulty cable. I thought maybe the network card in the working laptop might be better (hence the reason for boosting the signal for the pc). Forgive me, Im a complete novice, but could the plug be the problem? It goes in ok, but doesn't seem to click/lock in the pc.