Not open for further replies.

jerryb33

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
OS=win 7 home premium
IE 8
Administrator and 1 user

http://my.msn.com/default.aspx?mypg=1

In IE8 I configure MY.MSN for my local weather,news,lotteries,sports,stock quotes etc.(http://my.msn.com/default.aspx?mypg=1
I have identical "pages" for admin. and user. I do make them current with "Tools-Internet options".
My problem is I keep losing my MY.MSN page When I am in the user. It reverts back to a generic MY.MSN page (same one every time) It randomly does this. Sometimes in one day and sometimes in three days.
My admin page is not affected.
What could be causing this?
How can I copy the MY.MSN page from Admin. to the User? They have the same address, but different screens.
I have copied shortcut from admin. folder to the user folder (http://my.msn.com/default.aspx?mypg=1). Nogo
I hope this enough info and thanks.

Solution
I'm "old school" and I don't need all these "bells & whistles" , just a plain jane computer. LOL
Is there a way to find this LIVE crap and remove it?
Is there a way to schedule a restore point every day? Last resort.

Hi Jerry,

Congrats on getting your My.MSN working properly!

Well, there are ways to accomplish these ideas.
The Windows Live Essentials 2010 or 2011 is in the Add/Remove Programs section in Win-7 called Programs and Features from the Control Panel. It should be down near the bottom, just 'remove'

Also you can schedule a daily restore point at any time you want. In Win-7 click on 'Start' 'Accessories' 'System Tools' 'Task Scheduler"
There in the Navigation Pane on the left, click on Task Schedule Library...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
HI Jerry and welcome to Tom's Hardware!

I think it has to do with the passport you use when you sign on. Used to be that IE would 'remember' your passport at logon, but doesn't seem to do that recently. I recently went to IE9 and have to 'sign in'each time to get My.MSN on hotmail vs Live mail, etc.

So if you logon to MSN without a passport, you get the generic MSN. If you log on with with a hotmail passport (either user or admin - doesn't matter) you get that passports My.Msn. IF you log on with an MSN passport or Live passport, you get the My.MSn set up for that passport.

When you find the generic My.MSN, check to see if you need to re sign in with one of your passports to get back to the page you specifically set up.

Hope that's helpful

jerryb33

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
thanks for your reply. My point is I only want to use this customized first page (my.msn). I don't want Windows Live Essentials. I don't use it and I only go to a few sites and do some shopping. I do like the first screen that I customized with my sports, weather, local news, etc.

This morning I had Windows Live screen on IE8 and could not remove it. Every time I tried the shortcut for "my.msn" it would put the LIVE sign in screen on. I look for it and can't find it to remove it from my computer.
I restored my computer yesterday to before a win 7 update and I got my IE8 screen back.
I'm "old school" and I don't need all these "bells & whistles" , just a plain jane computer. LOL

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi Jerry,

Congrats on getting your My.MSN working properly!

Well, there are ways to accomplish these ideas.
The Windows Live Essentials 2010 or 2011 is in the Add/Remove Programs section in Win-7 called Programs and Features from the Control Panel. It should be down near the bottom, just 'remove'

Also you can schedule a daily restore point at any time you want. In Win-7 click on 'Start' 'Accessories' 'System Tools' 'Task Scheduler"
There in the Navigation Pane on the left, click on Task Schedule Library, Microsoft, Windows, System Restore. There at the top double click on Multiple Triggers Defined, choose the daily trigger, click edit, and you can enable or disable it, change the time to run, etc. After you save it, should run on that schedule.
Win-7 states that it runs daily, but that is 'disabled by default' just need to 'enable' it.

You should be pretty good to go -

Solution

jerryb33

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Win live is nowhere to be found in Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall so I'm assuming I removed it before. Just wondered why I got the the LIVE screen yesterday.

Wow !!! I just went into the task scheduler and played around in there. I have 33 tasks being scheduled (some daily, some at bootup, others weekly and monthly. Is there a list of the them and a good description of them. I know some are there for a simple crash recovery, but others???

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

I don't know of a specific list of scheduled services or events that are automatically set up in Windows. It varies depending on your version of Win-7 and whether you have started a component or not & applications you have installed

In the Task Library there are sections:
■The ones Windows automatically sets up to run, like BackUp and Restore, Defrag, etc
■Ones you can add Scheduled Tasks, called My Scheduled Tasks
■Ones Office sets up
■A section for 3rd Party tasks, like Symantec Live Update.

jerryb33

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

Still happens every couple days (MY.MSN homepage reverts back to original default page)
I did make the new one my default with (use current in tools) and also at bottom of page !!!

Did not get any where with customer support at msn.com.

Lets go a different way. Is there a way to copy from my administrator page to my "user" page. It has my cusomize page there.

I'm not afraid to work in the registry. I do make an image of my drive, but my wife enters data every day.
Thanks

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Might just check when you load the MSN home at the top right, that it has signed you in through Windows Live or you Passport.
Have heard from several people with IE 8 or 9 they are not signed in automatically, and consequently Don't get their specifically configured home page, just the generic one. Must be a change in one of the recent updates.

jerryb33

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

Just signed up and customized my homepage. I will let you know if does not stick.

Just hope I don't receive all the junk e-mail from them !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.