Sign in with
Your question

680i Your Killing Me

Last response: in Motherboards
December 16, 2006 3:37:06 AM

With more news and events it seems like everything is getting turned upside down with the 680i chipset. When the 680i first came out, all it got was praises from top reviewers, talking about finally a chipset that takes advantage of all the features the C2D has to offer. Now it seems that all the 680i chipset is doing is creating a huge paper weight! Apparently it seems that you have a 50/50 chance of getting a working motherboard using 680i no matter what company it’s from because I have heard complaints from both eVGA and ASUS Striker Extreme users. What really makes me mad is I’ve been waiting so long (and I know I’m not the only one) for these motherboards to come out and all we can do again is wait. It really makes me wonder if companies sent non-retailer boards to reviewers. It doesn’t make a lot of since to have all these beginning reviews saying it’s the best board to use and can do all this with out encountering these errors, but as soon as the public gets their hands on a number of them, bam tons of issues. I’m not trying to suggest anything and I understand that there will usually be issues with things when they first come out, but it still seems strange that none of these issues were caught during any of the reviews. So I guess here is my question should I wait another month (hopefully won’t take longer to fix then a month) or take my chance and buy the eVGA 680i board. What do you guys think?

More about : 680i killing

December 16, 2006 4:05:42 AM

yikes...i'll keep that in mind
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2006 4:49:13 AM

Quote:
With more news and events it seems like everything is getting turned upside down with the 680i chipset. When the 680i first came out, all it got was praises from top reviewers, talking about finally a chipset that takes advantage of all the features the C2D has to offer. Now it seems that all the 680i chipset is doing is creating a huge paper weight! Apparently it seems that you have a 50/50 chance of getting a working motherboard using 680i no matter what company it’s from because I have heard complaints from both eVGA and ASUS Striker Extreme users. What really makes me mad is I’ve been waiting so long (and I know I’m not the only one) for these motherboards to come out and all we can do again is wait. It really makes me wonder if companies sent non-retailer boards to reviewers. It doesn’t make a lot of since to have all these beginning reviews saying it’s the best board to use and can do all this with out encountering these errors, but as soon as the public gets their hands on a number of them, bam tons of issues. I’m not trying to suggest anything and I understand that there will usually be issues with things when they first come out, but it still seems strange that none of these issues were caught during any of the reviews. So I guess here is my question should I wait another month (hopefully won’t take longer to fix then a month) or take my chance and buy the eVGA 680i board. What do you guys think?

thats the first i heard of the issue?
Related resources
December 16, 2006 4:51:00 AM

I have the 680I and i love it. i Oced easily my E6400 to 3.2Ghz no problems. Ive heard this too as posted on Gotfrag hardware but so far no issues for me and its rock stable.
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 16, 2006 5:20:32 AM

Both the hardocp and eVGA websites are acknowledging problems with the 680i mobo's. Apparently about 1 in 5 boards have problems. I am concerned because I also own one. Unfortunately, I ordered one before I heard about the problems.

I work off-shore far, far away (home on vacation), and returning the motherboard will be a problem. I assembled all the new parts for testing, then broke the system down for shipment.

With hardly any tweaking, I reached 3 ghz with an e6600. So I am hopeful that my motherboard works. But I really will not know until I get back to Saudi Arabia and permanently assemble the system.

eVGA 608i, e6600, eVGA 8800GTS, 2 gb Crucial ddram, 250 gb wd sata, Samsung sata dvd writer, Antec 650 w Trio
December 16, 2006 5:23:10 AM

Quote:

thats the first i heard of the issue?
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/200612142...
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2006 4:25:32 PM

Unless you absolutely NEED SLI, just get a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 (or any of a number of other decent 965 boards) and call it a day...
December 16, 2006 8:54:04 PM

Sorry that I forgot to post the links to the articles, but as you can see above they already have been posted. I would like to hear from more people who have bought the eVGA 680i and see if they have and any trouble.
December 17, 2006 10:12:05 AM

Hi

Yes, that chipset is a pure disaster! What I mean is that I am tired that Nvidia (and others) solding untested products, mainly at so high price!

Look at the 8800 GTX issue, and now the 680SLI based mainboards!

Unfortunately for me, I bought about 3 weeks ago, 2 XFX 8800GTX, one core2duo, one 1000W PSU, 2GB of ram, and one eVGA NF68 mainboard.

My first impression was WOW when I ran 3Dmark06, but then random crashes started, with sometimes loss of data forcing you to reinstall everything. This is totally UNACCEPTABLE.

The minimum that NVIDIA / EVGA should do is to propose the immediate replacement of those mainboard with sending you a new one before you return the defective one. At that price, this is really the minimum they can do. And if, as they say, only few mainboard are concerned, it should not cost them a lot...

Let's see if they care about their customers!

Phil
December 17, 2006 10:32:29 AM

I've never had any problems with my board, and I'm still glad I got it.

I'm sure alot of people are having problems, however I think the problems are being quite over exaggerated by the OP, I mean the OP states that "Apparently it seems that you have a 50/50 chance of getting a working motherboard". I mean come on... thats a completley false and absurd statement.
December 17, 2006 2:19:39 PM

Hi

you might be right, however, reading a lot of forums/newspaper around the world in different countries, it is says that, depending of the source, that between 20 up to 50 per cent of the borad are impacted. This is enormous compare to "the few mobo concerned" admitted by the manufacturer.

They for sure have a big issue there that customers have one more time to suffer with.

So, I agree with you that 50% is high, but...

Kind regards

Phil
December 17, 2006 4:26:33 PM

As of midnight last night EVGA/Nvidia released a new bios - Bios P23 (beta) - that is reported to fix the SATA issues many were having with the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR board. A non-beta version of P23 will be released shortly. A full report of the bios fixes will be posted tomorrow on EVGA's community site. If nothing else, EVGA really seems to have their team working to resolve the problems quickly. Maybe they should have done this more before release, but I am still happy to see they are trying to fix their mistake. Let's hope this level of support continues and the 680i reaches its full potential! Initial responses to the Bios update seem to be generally very positive.

EVGA Community Forum - P23 Bios Released
December 17, 2006 5:15:57 PM

Man

I really hope that you are right and that this can be solved via software!

Wait and see!!!

Cheers!

Also, as I am still thinking about it, if this is not an hardware issue with some weak component, how come not all the cards being impacted? If this was a firmware issue, we should all have the same issues...

Anyway, just my 2 cent.
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2006 8:48:20 PM

Quote:
...Also, as I am still thinking about it, if this is not an hardware issue with some weak component, how come not all the cards being impacted? If this was a firmware issue, we should all have the same issues...
Maybe true if it were a Macintosh.
There are so many possible configurations one can build that some work and some don't. Otherwise the board would have never been released. A BIOS fix means that there is hope that all will be well soon.
December 18, 2006 6:35:25 AM

Good point! But most of the people who bought that one at that price installed on them about the same confi based on Core2Duo and 8800 cards...

Hope you are right

Cheers
December 18, 2006 12:35:27 PM

Most of the responses on the EVGA message board look positive. Good news!

I wonder if Asus is having the same problem, and when their fix will be released?
December 18, 2006 2:08:38 PM

Allright,

Just replaced my P5b Deluxe wifi board with this one.

RMA'd 1st one, second fired right up, only one freeze so far, mouse cursor would not move.

BUT-

3dmark06 with my e6600, and 8800 GTX was ~11,400 on the asus board, and barely hit 10k with the evga board?

What gives?

Stock evga board hit 8696 and then the 10k after runing the ntune tuning app.

Hard to believe the 680i does not rperform as well out of the box as the P5B does.
December 20, 2006 1:42:24 AM

For those who are interested, I'm posting below a link to an article over on [H] Enthusiast that contains some Q&A with a Drew Henry from NVIDIA. My paraphrased summary of it would be that NVIDIA 1) apologizes, (2) admits they should have caught this during their internal QA process, and (3) thinks they have now fixed the problem with their latest (beta) BIOS update.

And then there's also this ....
Quote:

Q: Are there “bad” 680i MCPs/chipsets out there?
A: No. This is not a MCP issue. It's really a board issue, and in this case, only with the motherboards that were designed and manufactured by NVIDIA. In fact, boards built by other manufacturers that use the same MCPs, including the ASUS Striker Extreme, ASUS P5N32-E SLI, and the ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboards, are not affected. When you hear of customer issues, your first thought is "how widespread is this," but it was pretty clear early on that it related only to the boards that we designed and manufactured. Talk about embarrassing!

Here's the link to the complete article.
[H] Enthusiast - NVIDIA nForce 680i Solutions

-john
December 20, 2006 3:16:43 AM

Good post, thanks!
December 20, 2006 3:21:30 AM

You can add me to the list of working 680i. Every issue that I have had was quickly addressed in BIOS revisions. I respect how fast NVIDIA and motherboard manufactures have been to correct the problems so far. They seems involved and attentive to their consumers.

I can understand how painful this can be. I was unable to play in sli for the first few days after launch due to corrupted sound. Several others and I voiced our woes on the EVGA forum. A BIOS was quickly produced that fixed our problems.

I am still waiting for better VGA drivers, but with Vista upgrade around the corner it's not a huge concern of mine. The speed and visual quality I have now far surpasses anything I had on my Opty 165 and 7900GTX.

I have been a PC gamer since I built my first system 10+ years ago (Warcraft anyone?). These current revisions and patch upgrades are nothing new to high end "bleeding edge" tech.

They're fixing it, I'm happy. I could be a lot worse.
December 20, 2006 7:52:56 AM

Quote:
For those who are interested, I'm posting below a link to an article over on [H] Enthusiast that contains some Q&A with a Drew Henry from NVIDIA. My paraphrased summary of it would be that NVIDIA 1) apologizes, (2) admits they should have caught this during their internal QA process, and (3) thinks they have now fixed the problem with their latest (beta) BIOS update.

And then there's also this ....
Q: Are there “bad” 680i MCPs/chipsets out there?
A: No. This is not a MCP issue. It's really a board issue, and in this case, only with the motherboards that were designed and manufactured by NVIDIA. In fact, boards built by other manufacturers that use the same MCPs, including the ASUS Striker Extreme, ASUS P5N32-E SLI, and the ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboards, are not affected. When you hear of customer issues, your first thought is "how widespread is this," but it was pretty clear early on that it related only to the boards that we designed and manufactured. Talk about embarrassing!

Here's the link to the complete article.
[H] Enthusiast - NVIDIA nForce 680i Solutions

-john

Thanks for the post, i guess that explains why I havn't had any problems.
December 20, 2006 9:54:38 AM

phil, as far as i know, in order to use the 8800 gtx graphics card successfully on a 680sli motherboard. you must have a core2duo extreme processor.
December 20, 2006 10:25:31 AM

Hi

You are right, but the MoBo was the only one doing SLI at that time... However, I am about to regret buying it, except if they can find a real universal fix for it, better than that P23 bios that, even if an improvement, looks to not fix all the issues, and reduce the performances a little bit more...

Also, does any owner tried the Ntune on that eVga mainboard? I am using the default voltages and everything in Auto, but the monitoring tool in Ntune is showing some of the voltages in yellow or even in red, what is worrying me.

Cheers
December 20, 2006 12:24:25 PM

Quote:
After looking at this review http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/12/19/intel_or_nvidi... the Evga looks like the worst mobo you can buy! It only wins a few benches. Considering its price it should win everything.

I believe the editors rated the evga board the best because of its features and overclocking potential. The benchmarks are at stock speeds and do not reflect the overclocking potential. Furthermore, the benchmarks actually show very little difference between any of the motherboards at stock speeds.
a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2006 7:24:54 AM

Quote:
phil, as far as i know, in order to use the 8800 gtx graphics card successfully on a 680sli motherboard. you must have a core2duo extreme processor.

pffftttt ever heard of overclocking?
December 23, 2006 2:27:40 PM

I downloaded the hotfix, even though my system was entirely stable beforehand, and it started to give me problems. It told me it would keep my BIOS settings as they were, but my PC started to crash about one minute after booting into Windows. I was really worked up and fearful that something was wrong with it, but it was something very simple! It kept my Ram timings of 4-4-4-12, but it reset the voltage to 1.8V instead of 2.1V. I'm not overclocking my cpu until I get a better HSF or water cooling kit than the stock intel HSF.
!