about:blank keeps replacing my users home page

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi,

I have this weird problem in both of my Domains that are completely
separate from each other.

The Users Home page is coming up about:blank on some, but not all of
my workstations regardless of Admin or regular user. The really weird
thing is the regular users are Mandatory Profiles with the Home Page
put in AND the home page is Setup in Group Policy as well.

When logging into another machine it will work fine. I am wondering
if it is a Group Policy Loopback issue. I have the homepage setup in
the Users Group Policy.

Very weird. I haven’t found anything about this on the MS website.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-blank-replacing-users-home-page-ftopict275464.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=873087

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

From: "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com>

| Hi,
|
| I have this weird problem in both of my Domains that are completely
| separate from each other.
|
| The Users Home page is coming up about:blank on some, but not all of
| my workstations regardless of Admin or regular user. The really weird
| thing is the regular users are Mandatory Profiles with the Home Page
| put in AND the home page is Setup in Group Policy as well.
|
| When logging into another machine it will work fine. I am wondering
| if it is a Group Policy Loopback issue. I have the homepage setup in
| the Users Group Policy.
|
| Very weird. I haven’t found anything about this on the MS website.
|
| Any ideas would be great.
|
| Thanks
|
| Lara
|
| --
| Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
| Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
| Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-blank-replacing-users-home-page-ftopict275464.html
| Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=873087

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)

start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> delete files

1) Download the following three items...

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend signature files.

Ad-aware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt482.zip

SYSCLEAN.COM.

2) Update Ad-aware with the latest definitions.
3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.
4) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Ad-aware, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware

* * Please report back your results * *

--
Dave

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

I don't know if this will help but it may be worth a try to configure Group
Policy for IE maintenance policy processing to reapply settings even if the
Group Policy has not changed as referred to in the KB article below. If a
gpupdate /force fixes the problem for a user then that policy setting may
work. It may be due to loopback processing if the problem does not occur
when the user logs onto another computer not in the same OU as where the
problem occurs. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316702

"lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have this weird problem in both of my Domains that are completely
> separate from each other.
>
> The Users Home page is coming up about:blank on some, but not all of
> my workstations regardless of Admin or regular user. The really weird
> thing is the regular users are Mandatory Profiles with the Home Page
> put in AND the home page is Setup in Group Policy as well.
>
> When logging into another machine it will work fine. I am wondering
> if it is a Group Policy Loopback issue. I have the homepage setup in
> the Users Group Policy.
>
> Very weird. I haven't found anything about this on the MS website.
>
> Any ideas would be great.
>

> Thanks
>
> Lara

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-blank-replacing-users-home-page-ftopict275464.html

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

You have a browser hijack and probably a lot of other spyware as well.
Follow lforbes's excellent advice but I would add a couple of things:
First, you have the CoolWeb browser hijack and AdAware/Trend Sysclean
may not clean your systems of this nasty hijack. I recommend
downloading HiJackThis from download.com and using it to clean all the
BHO that it finds as well as any references to coolweb/about:blank.

Second, your users should not be local administrators and you should
also create a GPO that prevents new additions to the following registry
key for non administrators: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE.

Since I implemented this I get ZERO spyware on my clients computers.

"taranis" wrote:
> You have a browser hijack and probably a lot of other spyware
> as well.
> Follow lforbes's excellent advice but I would add a couple of
> things:
> First, you have the CoolWeb browser hijack and AdAware/Trend
> Sysclean
> may not clean your systems of this nasty hijack. I recommend
> downloading HiJackThis from download.com and using it to clean
> all the
> BHO that it finds as well as any references to
> coolweb/about:blank.
>
> Second, your users should not be local administrators and you
> should
> also create a GPO that prevents new additions to the following
> registry
> key for non administrators: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE.
>
> Since I implemented this I get ZERO spyware on my clients
> computers.

Hi,

This is Not spyware. Two of the machines are newly installed from
reformat and on the others No one has ever had any write access to
either the registry or the Windows folder. They are all running
mandatory profiles that delete on logoff and the drives are completely
read-only. I also have an ISA server registering any traffic that is
unusual and it is showing nothing.

It is also happening in two different separate domains. I read the
info on the about:blank spyware. It said that it puts an entry in
HKLM-Software-Microsoft-WindowsNT-CurrentVersion-Windows-AppInit_DLLs
entry. I have nothing in this entry on any of the machines so I am
pretty sure this is a Windows issue not a spyware one. I haven’t ever
had any spyware on any of my machines in 5 years except the few that
the users were Admins on (which have since been reformatted)

It seems to be after I "enabled" the "IE maintenance policy
processing to reapply settings even if the Group Policy has not
changed". However turning it off didn’t seem to help. I have also
enabled "Loopback" mode recently that could have affected this. I
will check into those two.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=874666

"lforbes" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is Not spyware. Two of the machines are newly installed
> from reformat and on the others No one has ever had any write
> access to either the registry or the Windows folder. They are
> all running mandatory profiles that delete on logoff and the
> drives are completely read-only. I also have an ISA server
> registering any traffic that is unusual and it is showing
> nothing.
>
> It is also happening in two different separate domains. I read
> the info on the about:blank spyware. It said that it puts an
> entry in
> HKLM-Software-Microsoft-WindowsNT-CurrentVersion-Windows-AppIn
> it_DLLs
> entry. I have nothing in this entry on any of the machines so
> I am pretty sure this is a Windows issue not a spyware one. I
> haven't ever had any spyware on any of my machines in 5 years
> except the few that the users were Admins on (which have since
> been reformatted)
>
> It seems to be after I "enabled" the "IE maintenance policy
> processing to reapply settings even if the Group Policy has
> not changed". However turning it off didn't seem to help. I
> have also enabled "Loopback" mode recently that could have
> affected this. I will check into those two.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lara

HI,

I figured it out. I have a great program called AristoClass which is a
remote control program to remote control and view users desktops.
Works great but is the cause of the About:Blank home page as it remote
controls IE as well.

Cheers,

Lara