Users changing IE's lan settings

Shawn

I have some users who log into our windows 2000 server
from their windows 2000 pro. - sp4 PCs. They need to access
the Internet via their PCs (we have a dsl access) as well as
a secure site via VPN software, so the users need to be able
to change their automatic configuration settings (Tools, Internet Options
...., Connection tab, Lan Settings)
freely.

In other words, they should be able to check off the "Use automatic
configuration script" box
to utlize the address that is entered and uncheck this box to access
the Internet when not using the VPN software to access the
secure site.

Unfortunately, I have not found an easy way to do this other than upgrade
their group membership from "domain users" to "domain admins."
This obviously create other security issues.

Can someone give me a solution to my problem. thanks.

> Unfortunately, I have not found an easy way to do this other than upgrade
> their group membership from "domain users" to "domain admins."
> This obviously create other security issues.
>
> Can someone give me a solution to my problem. thanks.

On the users computer try adding their domain account to the local power
user group and test. If this does not work add their domain account to the
local admin group.

Adding their domain account to the local admin group will make them
administrator over their computer when logging onto the domain, but they
will remain a domain user on the domain.

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE