Users changing IE's lan settings

I have some users who log into our windows 2000 server
from their windows 2000 pro. - sp4 PCs. They need to access
the Internet via their PCs (we have a dsl access) as well as
a secure site via VPN software, so the users need to be able
to change their automatic configuration settings (Tools, Internet Options
...., Connection tab, Lan Settings)
freely.

In other words, they should be able to check off the "Use automatic
configuration script" box
to utlize the address that is entered and uncheck this box to access
the Internet when not using the VPN software to access the
secure site.

Unfortunately, I have not found an easy way to do this other than upgrade
their group membership from "domain users" to "domain admins."
This obviously create other security issues.

Can someone give me a solution to my problem. thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about users changing settings

    > Unfortunately, I have not found an easy way to do this other than upgrade
    > their group membership from "domain users" to "domain admins."
    > This obviously create other security issues.
    >
    > Can someone give me a solution to my problem. thanks.

    On the users computer try adding their domain account to the local power
    user group and test. If this does not work add their domain account to the
    local admin group.

    Adding their domain account to the local admin group will make them
    administrator over their computer when logging onto the domain, but they
    will remain a domain user on the domain.

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "shawn" <shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have some users who log into our windows 2000 server
    > from their windows 2000 pro. - sp4 PCs. They need to access
    > the Internet via their PCs (we have a dsl access) as well as
    > a secure site via VPN software, so the users need to be able
    > to change their automatic configuration settings (Tools, Internet Options
    > ..., Connection tab, Lan Settings)
    > freely.
    >
    > In other words, they should be able to check off the "Use automatic
    > configuration script" box
    > to utlize the address that is entered and uncheck this box to access
    > the Internet when not using the VPN software to access the
    > secure site.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I have not found an easy way to do this other than upgrade
    > their group membership from "domain users" to "domain admins."
    > This obviously create other security issues.
    >
    > Can someone give me a solution to my problem. thanks.

Internet Explorer Windows