Event ID 681

Recently I began noticing Event ID 681 errors in the security logs of our
Microsoft ISA Server 2000. These errors are only occuring on 2 specific
workstations/user accounts. The event log reads as follows:
Date: 3/3/2005
Time: 8:33
Type: Failure
User: NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM
Computer: SERVERNAME
Source: Security
Category: Account Logon
Event ID: 681

The logon to account: USERNAME
by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
from workstation: WORKSTATIONNAME
failed. The error code was: 3221225572

This error message is being generated atleast every minute, if not 2 or 3
times a minute and has been occuring since last week sometime. I made several
changes on our ISA server last week so that ISA would log user names rather
than IP addresses. It seems that these error messages began appearing after
that. I find it strange, however, that only 2 users are experiencing this. We
have approximately 50 users total and all other accounts seem fine. I have
verified that the firewall client is installed and configure properly on
these 2 workstations. I have also tried renaming these workstations.

The changes made to ISA last week were as follows:

>Open SCPFIRE properties>incoming web requests, check the box ?Ask unauthenticated users for identification?.

>Access policy>Site & Content rules>Change proxy rule to apply to Accounts:Everyone as opposed to any request (eliminates anonymous access).

Any ideas how to eliminate this problem from recurring?

I've also obtained a hotfix from MS, which did not work (KB837142).

Thanks in advance - Wayne

Did you take a look here:

http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=681&eventno=3&source=Security&phase=1

Might be something there that can help.