notebook memory question

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
im looking at getting a laptop for my dad, but ive been kinda outa the computer loop for a while and i never really knew much about notebooks in the firstplace

Right now im looking at either an alienware or a dell. The thing is one of the dells im looking at has shared memory. I know with desktops thats a red flag because it makes upgrading difficult and its usually slower, but whats that really mean for a notebook? Upgrading obviously isn't an issue but is it slower than regular memory? The memory issue is between 2 dell models, one in the XPS series and one in the inspiron series

also any sugetsions for brands on a notebook? its kinda between Dell and Alienware, but im not sure which is more reliable. The alienware that im looking at has an ati raedon x1800 with it, while the dell has a geforce Go 7900 GS. which of those is a better card? when i kinda stoped following computers ATI was on top but i know that changes all the time. it seems the geforce one is a little higher end

Mondoman

Splendid
...The thing is one of the dells im looking at has shared memory. I know with desktops thats a red flag because it makes upgrading difficult and its usually slower,
It doesn't affect upgrading at all. All it means is that the video chip is taking some of the main memory for its use, instead of having separate dedicated video memory.
This (1) saves money, (2) reduces the amount of main RAM that Windows can use, so may slow down the overall system, (3) slows down graphics performance, because main memory is typically slower than specialized dedicated video memory designs.
I'd stay away from shared memory mainly for reason (2).

However, in order to give suggestions, we need to know what your father will be using the notebook for. 3D shoot-em-up gaming will require much fancier graphics hardware (and a better processor) than anything else. Alienware as a brand tends to specialize in high-end gaming, while Dell has a range of models (but isn't really up to the Alienware level for gaming).

What models are you looking at? What kind of budget do you have?

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
right now im looking between the alienware area 51 m5750, and the dell xps m1710

the initial inspiron i was looking at was too meh. He wont be using it for gaming, mostly data managment, some graphics stuff, and multiple application running, ect. I however will probably be borrowing it to play warcraft and stuff so its gotta be decent for gaming too

it looks like the dell is pretty much top of the line but its quite pricy, looking at 4k for the configuration i set up, the alienwares a bit cheaper, but has a slower gfx card.. the alienware has a raedeon X1800 while the dell has an option for the geforce go 7900 which has more memory and benchmarks seem better. i was looking to spend about 3K but looks like i'll be more in the mid 3k-4k category

just not sure if its worth the extra money for the dell or not, plus im not finding as many reviews for the alienware as i am for the dell.. im also not a big fan of all the extra bloatware that dell throws on their computers, i really dont feel like picking through and deleting it all or formating and reinstalling because i dont know much about wireless networking, ect. Alienware is pretty bloatware free.. hrmm.

oh ya, do you guys think the t7600 is worth the 300 dollar price diffrence from the 7400? it doesn't seem that faster only real difference is 2.16ghz vs 2.33 ghz