v551

Last response: in Network Providers
December 3, 2004 5:07:57 PM

seems like I read a earlier post about the v551 seeing Cingular AND Att
towers as"home" where as the v400
and v600 only see the Cingular towers as home
any info will be much appreciated

More about : v551

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:36:03 AM

In article <rK2dnVUpvI0HWi3cRVn-pA@centurytel.net>,
"TIM CAMPBELL" <timcampbell@roncampbellford.com> wrote:

> seems like I read a earlier post about the v551 seeing Cingular AND Att
> towers as"home" where as the v400
> and v600 only see the Cingular towers as home
> any info will be much appreciated

If you have the new 64K Sim it wont matter. If you have an older 32K
sim, it depends whether you have an AT&T phone & Sim; or a Cingular
phopne & Sim
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 12:36:04 AM

I have Cingular phone w/32k Cingular sim
> In article <rK2dnVUpvI0HWi3cRVn-pA@centurytel.net>,
> "TIM CAMPBELL" <timcampbell@roncampbellford.com> wrote:
>
>> seems like I read a earlier post about the v551 seeing Cingular AND Att
>> towers as"home" where as the v400
>> and v600 only see the Cingular towers as home
>> any info will be much appreciated
>
> If you have the new 64K Sim it wont matter. If you have an older 32K
> sim, it depends whether you have an AT&T phone & Sim; or a Cingular
> phopne & Sim
December 4, 2004 5:37:28 AM

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:51:04 -0600, "TIM CAMPBELL"
<timcampbell@roncampbellford.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>I have Cingular phone w/32k Cingular sim

In order to use the expanded system, at this time, (according to
Cingular) you need a 64k SIM. Exactly what that means with each phone
depends on who you ask.

It's taken Verizon a few years and they still haven't finished
"integrating" all the parts, so I don't think we'll see a
single-company Cingular all that soon.
December 4, 2004 7:27:06 AM

I have a 32K Sim. How do I go about exchanging it for a 64K Sim?

"Al Klein" <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:51:04 -0600, "TIM CAMPBELL"
> <timcampbell@roncampbellford.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
> >I have Cingular phone w/32k Cingular sim
>
> In order to use the expanded system, at this time, (according to
> Cingular) you need a 64k SIM. Exactly what that means with each phone
> depends on who you ask.
>
> It's taken Verizon a few years and they still haven't finished
> "integrating" all the parts, so I don't think we'll see a
> single-company Cingular all that soon.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 6:30:42 PM

Then you will Home on Cingular, and roam freely on ATTWS when (and only when)
there isn't a usable Cingular signal, even where the ATTWS signal is better.

In <4c2dnUF7ObBaQi3cRVn-qQ@centurytel.net> on Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:51:04 -0600,
"TIM CAMPBELL" <timcampbell@roncampbellford.com> wrote:

>I have Cingular phone w/32k Cingular sim
>"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> In article <rK2dnVUpvI0HWi3cRVn-pA@centurytel.net>,
>> "TIM CAMPBELL" <timcampbell@roncampbellford.com> wrote:
>>
>>> seems like I read a earlier post about the v551 seeing Cingular AND Att
>>> towers as"home" where as the v400
>>> and v600 only see the Cingular towers as home
>>> any info will be much appreciated
>>
>> If you have the new 64K Sim it wont matter. If you have an older 32K
>> sim, it depends whether you have an AT&T phone & Sim; or a Cingular
>> phopne & Sim

December 4, 2004 7:16:52 PM

With all respect to Al, a new SIM isn't needed to get the benefits of both
networks -- all Cingular subscribers can now roam freely on ATTWS, and vice
versa. The only issue is that your Home network will always be selected when
there is a "usable" Home signal, even when the other network has a better
signal, but that's not generally a problem in practice. The new SIM addresses
the issue by treating the two networks as one virtual Home network, but only
with a handset that supports ENS.

In <u0bsd.2963$714.2609@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004
04:27:06 GMT, "DonR" <drennard@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I have a 32K Sim. How do I go about exchanging it for a 64K Sim?
>
>"Al Klein" <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:51:04 -0600, "TIM CAMPBELL"
>> <timcampbell@roncampbellford.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>>
>> >I have Cingular phone w/32k Cingular sim
>>
>> In order to use the expanded system, at this time, (according to
>> Cingular) you need a 64k SIM. Exactly what that means with each phone
>> depends on who you ask.
>>
>> It's taken Verizon a few years and they still haven't finished
>> "integrating" all the parts, so I don't think we'll see a
>> single-company Cingular all that soon.

December 4, 2004 7:16:53 PM

John Navas wrote:

> With all respect to Al, a new SIM isn't needed to get the benefits of both
> networks -- all Cingular subscribers can now roam freely on ATTWS, and vice
> versa. The only issue is that your Home network will always be selected when
> there is a "usable" Home signal, even when the other network has a better
> signal, but that's not generally a problem in practice. The new SIM addresses
> the issue by treating the two networks as one virtual Home network, but only
> with a handset that supports ENS.

A friend rang up a while ago and asked me... "I picked up a new V551
for my wife last week, and I'm curious if it has this "ENS"
functionality? or is this something I need to deal with as a separate
issue?" I'm clueless about ENS, so maybe you or someone can offer a
better answer.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

Jer wrote:
> John Navas wrote:
>
>> With all respect to Al, a new SIM isn't needed to get the benefits of
>> both
>> networks -- all Cingular subscribers can now roam freely on ATTWS, and
>> vice
>> versa. The only issue is that your Home network will always be
>> selected when
>> there is a "usable" Home signal, even when the other network has a better
>> signal, but that's not generally a problem in practice. The new SIM
>> addresses
>> the issue by treating the two networks as one virtual Home network,
>> but only
>> with a handset that supports ENS.
>>

> A friend rang up a while ago and asked me... "I picked up a new V551
> for my wife last week, and I'm curious if it has this "ENS"
> functionality? or is this something I need to deal with as a separate
> issue?" I'm clueless about ENS, so maybe you or someone can offer a
> better answer.

Sounds like all SIMs sent out after 11/15 should have them...

http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/492681-1.html
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 9:07:38 PM

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:16:52 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>With all respect to Al, a new SIM isn't needed to get the benefits of both
>networks -- all Cingular subscribers can now roam freely on ATTWS, and vice
>versa. The only issue is that your Home network will always be selected when
>there is a "usable" Home signal, even when the other network has a better
>signal, but that's not generally a problem in practice. The new SIM addresses
>the issue by treating the two networks as one virtual Home network, but only
>with a handset that supports ENS.

They why, John, does my v551 with the new SIM, at my home, fail to
lock onto the much stronger signal that AT&T GSM has available? The
very same phone with an AT&T SIM card gets 4 - 5 bars anywhere in the
house. With the new Cingular 64k SIM it's 3 bars max when held two
feet over the 4th floor balcony.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 9:16:43 PM

In <duu3r0dhb5o3klr16bt4p4re6vg9khvj99@4ax.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:07:38
GMT, RexYBlue <rexybluezz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:16:52 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>With all respect to Al, a new SIM isn't needed to get the benefits of both
>>networks -- all Cingular subscribers can now roam freely on ATTWS, and vice
>>versa. The only issue is that your Home network will always be selected when
>>there is a "usable" Home signal, even when the other network has a better
>>signal, but that's not generally a problem in practice. The new SIM addresses
>>the issue by treating the two networks as one virtual Home network, but only
>>with a handset that supports ENS.
>
>They why, John, does my v551 with the new SIM, at my home, fail to
>lock onto the much stronger signal that AT&T GSM has available? The
>very same phone with an AT&T SIM card gets 4 - 5 bars anywhere in the
>house. With the new Cingular 64k SIM it's 3 bars max when held two
>feet over the 4th floor balcony.

Probably because the phone doesn't see the Cingular signal as weak.

December 4, 2004 11:07:51 PM

In <L9qdnVoN4IeQhS_cRVn-vQ@comcast.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 14:04:01 -0600,
Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:

>> A friend rang up a while ago and asked me... "I picked up a new V551
>> for my wife last week, and I'm curious if it has this "ENS"
>> functionality? or is this something I need to deal with as a separate
>> issue?" I'm clueless about ENS, so maybe you or someone can offer a
>> better answer.
>
>Sounds like all SIMs sent out after 11/15 should have them...
>
>http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/492681-1.html

The handset must also support ENS for ENS to work.

December 5, 2004 1:17:29 AM

John Navas wrote:

> In <L9qdnVoN4IeQhS_cRVn-vQ@comcast.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 14:04:01 -0600,
> Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
>

>>>A friend rang up a while ago and asked me... "I picked up a new V551
>>>for my wife last week, and I'm curious if it has this "ENS"
>>>functionality? or is this something I need to deal with as a separate
>>>issue?" I'm clueless about ENS, so maybe you or someone can offer a
>>>better answer.
>>
>>Sounds like all SIMs sent out after 11/15 should have them...
>>
>>http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/492681-1.html
>

> The handset must also support ENS for ENS to work.

The subject of this thread is v551.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 6:11:59 AM

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 04:27:06 GMT, "DonR" <drennard@earthlink.net> said
in alt.cellular.cingular:

>I have a 32K Sim. How do I go about exchanging it for a 64K Sim?

In a V551? You should have been given a 64k SIM. Talk to whomever
you bought the phone from. (Some dealers were shipped 32k SIMS with
new phones. Those who didn't complain got stuck with them.)
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 7:00:30 PM

In <XumdnRSS7qQuFi_cRVn-tw@comcast.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:17:29 -0600,
Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:

>> The handset must also support ENS for ENS to work.
>
>The subject of this thread is v551.

1. I was responding to material that wasn't specific to the V551:

"Sounds like all SIMs sent out after 11/15 should have them..."

2. Do you know for a fact that the V551 does support ENS?

December 5, 2004 8:05:27 PM

To avoid this situation how can I, as a soon to be customer, determine which
phones have a 64k SIM vs. a 32k one?

> In article <rK2dnVUpvI0HWi3cRVn-pA@centurytel.net>,
> "TIM CAMPBELL" <timcampbell@roncampbellford.com> wrote:
>
> > seems like I read a earlier post about the v551 seeing Cingular AND Att
> > towers as"home" where as the v400
> > and v600 only see the Cingular towers as home
> > any info will be much appreciated
>
> If you have the new 64K Sim it wont matter. If you have an older 32K
> sim, it depends whether you have an AT&T phone & Sim; or a Cingular
> phopne & Sim
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 8:05:28 PM

The 64k sims say "SmartChip" on them and will even say 64k on them,
mine does.

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:05:27 GMT, "Bob K." <bob1030@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>To avoid this situation how can I, as a soon to be customer, determine which
>phones have a 64k SIM vs. a 32k one?
>

>"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> In article <rK2dnVUpvI0HWi3cRVn-pA@centurytel.net>,
>> "TIM CAMPBELL" <timcampbell@roncampbellford.com> wrote:
>>
>> > seems like I read a earlier post about the v551 seeing Cingular AND Att
>> > towers as"home" where as the v400
>> > and v600 only see the Cingular towers as home
>> > any info will be much appreciated
>>
>> If you have the new 64K Sim it wont matter. If you have an older 32K
>> sim, it depends whether you have an AT&T phone & Sim; or a Cingular
>> phopne & Sim

December 5, 2004 8:05:29 PM

M. D. Borca wrote:
> The 64k sims say "SmartChip" on them and will even say 64k on them,
> mine does.

My Cingular V551 also has "SmartChip" and 64K imprinted on the label
side of the SIM. As to whether the V551 itself is ENS compliant, I am
clueless. If I knew what the ENS acronym meant, I might could Google up
something.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

Thanks M.D.

I was going to add to my question the same for ENS. How do I know which
have it and which don't?

"M. D. Borca" <marius@deuteronomy.us> wrote in message
> The 64k sims say "SmartChip" on them and will even say 64k on them,
> mine does.
>
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:05:27 GMT, "Bob K." <bob1030@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >To avoid this situation how can I, as a soon to be customer, determine
which
> >phones have a 64k SIM vs. a 32k one?
> >

> >"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Att

> >> If you have the new 64K Sim it wont matter. If you have an older 32K
> >> sim, it depends whether you have an AT&T phone & Sim; or a Cingular
> >> phopne & Sim

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 12:58:27 AM

Well before I asked I looked at these sites and couldn't find it.

http://www.cellphones.ca/resources/glossary.cfm
http://www.mobiledia.com/glossary/
http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> M. D. Borca wrote:
> > The 64k sims say "SmartChip" on them and will even say 64k on them,
> > mine does.
> >

> My Cingular V551 also has "SmartChip" and 64K imprinted on the label
> side of the SIM. As to whether the V551 itself is ENS compliant, I am
> clueless. If I knew what the ENS acronym meant, I might could Google up
> something.
>

> --
> jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:29:28 AM

John Navas wrote:

> In <XumdnRSS7qQuFi_cRVn-tw@comcast.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:17:29 -0600,
> Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:
>

>>John Navas wrote:
>

>>>The handset must also support ENS for ENS to work.
>>
>>The subject of this thread is v551.
>

> 1. I was responding to material that wasn't specific to the V551:
>
> "Sounds like all SIMs sent out after 11/15 should have them..."

If you read that entire page, it talked about both the SIMs and the v551.

> 2. Do you know for a fact that the V551 does support ENS?

Yes.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:50:41 AM

In article <6wLsd.141329$V41.105883@attbi_s52>,
"Bob K." <bob1030@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well before I asked I looked at these sites and couldn't find it.
>
> http://www.cellphones.ca/resources/glossary.cfm
> http://www.mobiledia.com/glossary/
> http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/
>

> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> > M. D. Borca wrote:
> > > The 64k sims say "SmartChip" on them and will even say 64k on them,
> > > mine does.
> > >

> > My Cingular V551 also has "SmartChip" and 64K imprinted on the label
> > side of the SIM. As to whether the V551 itself is ENS compliant, I am
> > clueless. If I knew what the ENS acronym meant, I might could Google up
> > something.
> >

> > --
> > jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

I called Cingular, and in addition to the 4 different answers I got
regarding sims, one thing I was told that sounded credible is that "all
the phones sold now by Cingular have 64K sims in them."

I went to an ATTWS store (supposed to be Cingular on Nov. 15 according
to a press release some know it all falsely claimed didn't exist), and
looked at a Razr v3, the sales person insisted he was employed by ATTWS
even though his shirt said Cingular on it, and didnt want to show me the
phone anymore when he found out I was a "Cingular" customer. "This is an
AT&T store" he told me on Dec. 4, 2004.
December 6, 2004 2:50:42 AM

And your point is?

___________________
Ann
Motorola V551
iPAQ 4355

> I called Cingular, and in addition to the 4 different answers I got
> regarding sims, one thing I was told that sounded credible is that "all
> the phones sold now by Cingular have 64K sims in them."
>
> I went to an ATTWS store (supposed to be Cingular on Nov. 15 according
> to a press release some know it all falsely claimed didn't exist), and
> looked at a Razr v3, the sales person insisted he was employed by ATTWS
> even though his shirt said Cingular on it, and didnt want to show me the
> phone anymore when he found out I was a "Cingular" customer. "This is an
> AT&T store" he told me on Dec. 4, 2004.
December 6, 2004 2:50:43 AM

Ann wrote:
> And your point is?
>
> ___________________
> Ann
> Motorola V551
> iPAQ 4355

Jack is also a fashion critic.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

In <TdWdndprmoaRcy7cRVn-qA@comcast.com> on Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:29:28 -0600,
Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>>
>> In <XumdnRSS7qQuFi_cRVn-tw@comcast.com> on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:17:29 -0600,
>> Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:

>>>The subject of this thread is v551.
>>
>> 1. I was responding to material that wasn't specific to the V551:
>>
>> "Sounds like all SIMs sent out after 11/15 should have them..."
>
>If you read that entire page, it talked about both the SIMs and the v551.

Again, I was responding to material that wasn't specific to the V551.
You responded to me, not the entire page.

December 6, 2004 11:37:36 PM

In <covt6p$hh0@library2.airnews.net> on Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:06:38 -0600, Jer
<gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>M. D. Borca wrote:

>> The 64k sims say "SmartChip" on them and will even say 64k on them,
>> mine does.
>
>My Cingular V551 also has "SmartChip" and 64K imprinted on the label
>side of the SIM. As to whether the V551 itself is ENS compliant, I am
>clueless. If I knew what the ENS acronym meant, I might could Google up
>something.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=cingular+ens

ENS stands for Enhanced Network Services, which extends GSM by making it
possible for the handset to effectively treat two different networks (ATTWS
and Cingular) as one combined Home network, so that the other network can be
selected even when the real Home network has a usable signal. (Without ENS,
the handset will only select the other network when the real Home network
doesn't have a usable signal, even when the other network has a better signal
or when the real Home network has run out of capacity.)

December 6, 2004 11:37:37 PM

John Navas wrote:

> In <covt6p$hh0@library2.airnews.net> on Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:06:38 -0600, Jer
> <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>

>>M. D. Borca wrote:
>

>>>The 64k sims say "SmartChip" on them and will even say 64k on them,
>>>mine does.
>>
>>My Cingular V551 also has "SmartChip" and 64K imprinted on the label
>>side of the SIM. As to whether the V551 itself is ENS compliant, I am
>>clueless. If I knew what the ENS acronym meant, I might could Google up
>>something.
>

> http://www.google.com/search?as_q=cingular+ens
>
> ENS stands for Enhanced Network Services, which extends GSM by making it
> possible for the handset to effectively treat two different networks (ATTWS
> and Cingular) as one combined Home network, so that the other network can be
> selected even when the real Home network has a usable signal. (Without ENS,
> the handset will only select the other network when the real Home network
> doesn't have a usable signal, even when the other network has a better signal
> or when the real Home network has run out of capacity.)

The answer I got from my Cingular buddy today was exactly the same,
except for the nit pick of "Enhanced Network /Selection/"

So, I'm happy to know that the new Moto V551 comes from Cingular with a
64K SIM, has xxxxxAB firmware, and is ENS compliant. I'm all set.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

On 2004-12-06, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
> http://www.google.com/search?as_q=cingular+ens
>
> ENS stands for Enhanced Network Services, which extends GSM by making it
> possible for the handset to effectively treat two different networks (ATTWS
> and Cingular) as one combined Home network, so that the other network can be
> selected even when the real Home network has a usable signal. (Without ENS,
> the handset will only select the other network when the real Home network
> doesn't have a usable signal, even when the other network has a better signal
> or when the real Home network has run out of capacity.)

ok, so practically speaking, is there really a difference between the older
and newer SIMs.

I got my v551 on Nov 22. This discussion got me to look at the SIM I was
given. I have a 32K SIM. The phone was purchased from a Cingular owned
store. Should I go back and complain? If so, what am I complaining about?
Just that I got an old SIM, or can I give a legitimate reason for wanting
the new one? Will it make a difference? The fact is, my phone works well.
I haven't had any connectivity problems. But I've only been in my home
area since I've gotten it. I do travel quite a bit normally, but no travel
is in my immediate future to test it before my 30 days are up. I'm not
about to complain for no reason. I have better things to do with my time
than run back and forth to a Cingular store. But if it will make a
difference when I'm on the road, I don't want to be stuck later on.

Thanks.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695

In <9z9td.40133$Uf.23956@twister.nyroc.rr.com> on Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:36:37
GMT, Larry Moss <moss@airigami.com> wrote:

>On 2004-12-06, John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> http://www.google.com/search?as_q=cingular+ens
>>
>> ENS stands for Enhanced Network Services, which extends GSM by making it
>> possible for the handset to effectively treat two different networks (ATTWS
>> and Cingular) as one combined Home network, so that the other network can be
>> selected even when the real Home network has a usable signal. (Without ENS,
>> the handset will only select the other network when the real Home network
>> doesn't have a usable signal, even when the other network has a better signal
>> or when the real Home network has run out of capacity.)
>
>ok, so practically speaking, is there really a difference between the older
>and newer SIMs.

Like with so many other things, it all depends, not only on your
circumstances, but also on who you ask. For one perspective, see
<http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/492681-1.html...;.

December 11, 2004 6:25:09 AM

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:00:16 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> said in
alt.cellular.cingular:

>So, I'm happy to know that the new Moto V551 comes from Cingular with a
>64K SIM

Actually it doesn't. Cingular ships phones and SIMs separately but,
as someone else said, since about 11/15 (I didn't note down the exact
date) they've been shipping 64k SIMs. But a dealer (or company store
employee) with a large stock of 32k SIMs might have sold ENS phones
with 32k SIMs until he used up his stock.
December 11, 2004 9:59:34 AM

Al Klein wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:00:16 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> said in
> alt.cellular.cingular:
>

>>So, I'm happy to know that the new Moto V551 comes from Cingular with a
>>64K SIM
>

> Actually it doesn't. Cingular ships phones and SIMs separately but,
> as someone else said, since about 11/15 (I didn't note down the exact
> date) they've been shipping 64k SIMs. But a dealer (or company store
> employee) with a large stock of 32k SIMs might have sold ENS phones
> with 32k SIMs until he used up his stock.

I recall when I stopped by the Cingular store to pick it up, the clerk
did swap the SIM - so presumably, this was an in-store effort to do the
right thing. Oh, and it *is* equipped with the subsidy lock, which may
have been applied at the same time, but I don't care.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

>Oh, and it *is* equipped with the subsidy lock, which may
>have been applied at the same time, but I don't care.

The subsidy lock is applied at the factory by the manufacturer.

--
John S.
December 11, 2004 6:01:18 PM

John S. wrote:

>>Oh, and it *is* equipped with the subsidy lock, which may
>>have been applied at the same time, but I don't care.
>

> The subsidy lock is applied at the factory by the manufacturer.

I really have no clue how a subsidy lock is accomplished, so I suppose
that's the typical methodlogy, is there no way this can be done in the
field, given the necessary equipment is at hand? The reason I ask is if
the subsidy lock can be removed in the field, it seems reasonable to
presume it can also be applied in the field.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:08:04 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> said in
alt.cellular.cingular:

>I really have no clue how a subsidy lock is accomplished, so I suppose
>that's the typical methodlogy, is there no way this can be done in the
>field, given the necessary equipment is at hand? The reason I ask is if
>the subsidy lock can be removed in the field, it seems reasonable to
>presume it can also be applied in the field.

It can, but most stores don't have the necessary equipment.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 8:42:23 AM

The V551 I bought on the 10th at the old ATT wireless store, now
Cingular, came with a 64KB SIM.

Don't know if it is unlocked or not.

--
kevink
December 12, 2004 8:05:30 PM

>Don't know if it is unlocked or not.

If it came from an AT&T store it is locked.

--
John S.