what's up with default sharing of hard drives?

G

I'm just wondering, what is the purpose of default shares (i.e. C$, etc)? Is there a way to disable this, because I'm not on a network with an administrator, and isn't this default sharing a security hole? Also, are there other holes I should be aware of? I don't intend on letting any remote connections go on.

Thanks all.

:wink: <i>sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken</i>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Win2000 inherits the network features of Win4.0 Workstation. A regular stand-alone user can get rid of network features and of many others as well, what I read, at least many messages are posted, and there’re special sites on that topic.
But for administering purpose, there must be default shares with full control for Administrator.

Anyway, you’re safe with the default shares, although they allow access (but no control) to users by supplying the entire filename and path (including the $).

The Internet security of your computer is another question.
The default share is not a hole, you can trust it, but don't assume that it will give you any idea of how 'secure' your computer is. First, figure out what exactly it is that you're 'securing'. Think about what it is that is secret, or what needs to be available to you, or must not be modified, etc. Then protect those things. Even portscans don't really give you an idea of how effectively you're protecting your information assets. From a more practical point of view, concentrate on good behavior; read the secure behavior guides at securityfocus for a better idea.
You can find many good ideas in books or sites on Protect Your Privacy on the Internet. Following these guidelines will protect you pretty well if you don't run any services. If you do run services, be sure that you understand them so that you can configure them to offer the least access possible while still performing their function; also stay up to date on patches to make sure that those measures are not circumvented.

Good luck.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
In addition to the interesting article including the links (unfortunately, some of them “moved or removed from the MS site”), there’re more Internet security features that home users also use.
Instead of direct Win2000 machine connection to the Internet, a proxy server (can be a cheap/old computer on home network) allows a firewall to act on behalf of Win2000 machine when it is making a connection. To the machine being accessed, the firewall would appear to be the remote user (won’t be able to tell the difference), therefore able to shield internal machine from examination by external ones. It is not big deal even to sacrifice that proxy server in cases of severe attacks.
Auto-connect-disconnect Proxy Server utility significantly reduces hack-in opportunities.
And again, upgrades, updates, switching between different manufacturers, are very important.

G

Thanks guys for all your help. I've been using Win2000 for about five months now, and for sure, I have plenty to keep learning. Heck, I finally got file sharing with Win98 users on a peer network working. But I'll definitely keep all this about security in mind. Especially since I will be returning to college (high speed connection = on all the time = bait). Thanks again

G

Well, in a stubborn attempt to turn off default shares, I stopped the Server service, only to find out it keeps restarting. What's up with that? And it says Computer Browser and RPC are somehow connected. What is RPC, and do I need it? How about if I want to share/get files from someone else on a peer to peer network? Any ideas?

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Man - that C$( or any Drive$) share goes way back to to the very first MS LAN Manager and the first DOS networking days. Primarally for Admin functions... And not particularly a security hole. Requires Admin or local system account userid and passwords. And if they've gotten in that far, your toast anyway!!!

Good ole code never dies, it just gets wraped or encapsulated....