Convert Fat32 to NTFS on one partition ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have 2 x 80Gb Hard Drives Partitioned with Partition Magic V8.01.
Drive 1 :
"C" Fat 32 - WinXP Home - 20 Gb
"C" Fat 32 - WinME (hidden) - 20 Gb
"E" Fat 32 - Data - 40Gb
Drive 2 :
"D" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
"F" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
I use "F" for CDR recording , but would like to use it for DVD as well.
To overcome the Fat32, 4Gb file limit? can I convert "F" to NTFS, and still
be able to swap files between partitions ?
(Could the NTFS partition be accessed when booted to WinME?)
(Got lost in the MS knowledge base) :-)
13 answers Last reply
More about convert fat32 ntfs partition
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Win Me, in common with all of the Win 9x operating systems, cannot
    natively either read or write NTFS volumes.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Sunny <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    > I have 2 x 80Gb Hard Drives Partitioned with Partition Magic V8.01.
    > Drive 1 :
    > "C" Fat 32 - WinXP Home - 20 Gb
    > "C" Fat 32 - WinME (hidden) - 20 Gb
    > "E" Fat 32 - Data - 40Gb
    > Drive 2 :
    > "D" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    > "F" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    > I use "F" for CDR recording , but would like to use it for DVD as
    > well. To overcome the Fat32, 4Gb file limit? can I convert "F" to NTFS,
    > and
    > still be able to swap files between partitions ?
    > (Could the NTFS partition be accessed when booted to WinME?)
    > (Got lost in the MS knowledge base) :-)
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi,

    You can convert it, but....

    - You will not be able to access it from the WinME installation without help
    from a third party tool (you'll find one at sysinternals.com).

    - Any files larger than 4GB will have to remain on the "F" volume, you won't
    be able to move them to one of the FAT32 volumes.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >I have 2 x 80Gb Hard Drives Partitioned with Partition Magic V8.01.
    > Drive 1 :
    > "C" Fat 32 - WinXP Home - 20 Gb
    > "C" Fat 32 - WinME (hidden) - 20 Gb
    > "E" Fat 32 - Data - 40Gb
    > Drive 2 :
    > "D" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    > "F" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    > I use "F" for CDR recording , but would like to use it for DVD as well.
    > To overcome the Fat32, 4Gb file limit? can I convert "F" to NTFS, and
    > still be able to swap files between partitions ?
    > (Could the NTFS partition be accessed when booted to WinME?)
    > (Got lost in the MS knowledge base) :-)

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    In news:ez28NwQ%23EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Sunny <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> typed:

    > can I convert "F" to NTFS, and
    > still be able to swap files between partitions ?

    Yes. Windows XP can use NTFS, FAT32, FAT16, and FAT12, in any and
    all combinations, regardless of what file system it itself is
    installed on.

    > (Could the NTFS partition be accessed when booted to WinME?)

    No. Windows Me can not see NTFS at all.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    If you have a file size problem on the F drive, you would need to also
    convert the XP C drive if you need to move files between F and C. As long
    as files exceeding 4GB stayed on the F drive only, you would be OK. The ME
    C drive would not be able to access the F drive after the conversion.

    I can see no reason why you can't convert the XP C drive in any case. The
    issue only exists with the drives that ME can see.

    "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >I have 2 x 80Gb Hard Drives Partitioned with Partition Magic V8.01.
    > Drive 1 :
    > "C" Fat 32 - WinXP Home - 20 Gb
    > "C" Fat 32 - WinME (hidden) - 20 Gb
    > "E" Fat 32 - Data - 40Gb
    > Drive 2 :
    > "D" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    > "F" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    > I use "F" for CDR recording , but would like to use it for DVD as well.
    > To overcome the Fat32, 4Gb file limit? can I convert "F" to NTFS, and
    > still be able to swap files between partitions ?
    > (Could the NTFS partition be accessed when booted to WinME?)
    > (Got lost in the MS knowledge base) :-)

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks Mike M,
    WinXP (Fat 32) would be able to read/write to all partitions OK?
    (Files raised in the NTFS and transferred to a Fat32 partition, or vice
    versa)
    Not too concerned about losing sight of 40Gb while In WinME, as long as I
    can retain control when in WinXP.

    > Win Me, in common with all of the Win 9x operating systems, cannot
    > natively either read or write NTFS volumes.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Sunny <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >> I have 2 x 80Gb Hard Drives Partitioned with Partition Magic V8.01.
    >> Drive 1 :
    >> "C" Fat 32 - WinXP Home - 20 Gb
    >> "C" Fat 32 - WinME (hidden) - 20 Gb
    >> "E" Fat 32 - Data - 40Gb
    >> Drive 2 :
    >> "D" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    >> "F" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    >> I use "F" for CDR recording , but would like to use it for DVD as
    >> well. To overcome the Fat32, 4Gb file limit? can I convert "F" to NTFS,
    >> and
    >> still be able to swap files between partitions ?
    >> (Could the NTFS partition be accessed when booted to WinME?)
    >> (Got lost in the MS knowledge base) :-)

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    When running XP you will be able to both read and write to all volumes
    that are formatted using either the FAT or NTFS filing systems. There's
    also no reason why you shouldn't run a system that has both FAT and NTFS
    volumes. I have one such system here.

    As Rick has mentioned third party tools exist that can be installed on Win
    Me that will allow it to read and sometimes also to write to NTFS volumes.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Sunny <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    > Thanks Mike M,
    > WinXP (Fat 32) would be able to read/write to all partitions OK?
    > (Files raised in the NTFS and transferred to a Fat32 partition, or
    > vice versa)
    > Not too concerned about losing sight of 40Gb while In WinME, as long
    > as I can retain control when in WinXP.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks to both of you.
    Cheers

    Yes. Read my page www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm first

    >(Could the NTFS partition be accessed when booted to WinME?)

    No - that only recognises FAT

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    >I have 2 x 80Gb Hard Drives Partitioned with Partition Magic V8.01.
    >Drive 1 :
    > "C" Fat 32 - WinXP Home - 20 Gb
    > "C" Fat 32 - WinME (hidden) - 20 Gb
    > "E" Fat 32 - Data - 40Gb
    >Drive 2 :
    > "D" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    > "F" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    >I use "F" for CDR recording , but would like to use it for DVD as well.
    >To overcome the Fat32, 4Gb file limit? can I convert "F" to NTFS, and still
    >be able to swap files between partitions ?
    >(Could the NTFS partition be accessed when booted to WinME?)
    >(Got lost in the MS knowledge base) :-)

    In addition to converting the partition to NTFS you will have to align
    it properly for NTFS. Otherwise it may end up with a 512 byte cluster
    size instead of 4K and that makes the use of the drive much less
    efficient.

    Your Partition Magic will be able to align the partition boundary
    properly but I am not sure if it will do so automatically when you
    convert (assuming you use PM rather than the XP conversion utility).

    See MVP Alex Nichol's article on converting to NTFS at
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell wrote:

    >Your Partition Magic will be able to align the partition boundary
    >properly but I am not sure if it will do so automatically when you
    >convert (assuming you use PM rather than the XP conversion utility).

    The latest PM (v 8) will do the alignment as part of the conversion

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks to everyone :-)
    Will be using Partition Magic, but what I have to watch is that Boot Magic
    needs a Fat32 partition.
    Any attempt to Install BootMagic inWinXP, gets me "Boot Magic is already
    install and cannot be installed twice"

    > "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >>I have 2 x 80Gb Hard Drives Partitioned with Partition Magic V8.01.
    >>Drive 1 :
    >> "C" Fat 32 - WinXP Home - 20 Gb
    >> "C" Fat 32 - WinME (hidden) - 20 Gb
    >> "E" Fat 32 - Data - 40Gb
    >>Drive 2 :
    >> "D" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    >> "F" Fat 32 - Data - 40 Gb
    >>I use "F" for CDR recording , but would like to use it for DVD as well.
    >>To overcome the Fat32, 4Gb file limit? can I convert "F" to NTFS, and
    >>still
    >>be able to swap files between partitions ?
    >>(Could the NTFS partition be accessed when booted to WinME?)
    >>(Got lost in the MS knowledge base) :-)
    >>

    > In addition to converting the partition to NTFS you will have to align
    > it properly for NTFS. Otherwise it may end up with a 512 byte cluster
    > size instead of 4K and that makes the use of the drive much less
    > efficient.
    >
    > Your Partition Magic will be able to align the partition boundary
    > properly but I am not sure if it will do so automatically when you
    > convert (assuming you use PM rather than the XP conversion utility).
    >
    > See MVP Alex Nichol's article on converting to NTFS at
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in

    > In addition to converting the partition to NTFS you will have to align
    > it properly for NTFS. Otherwise it may end up with a 512 byte cluster
    > size instead of 4K and that makes the use of the drive much less
    > efficient.

    oh, son-of-a-....

    Is there *anything* M$ does which isn't retarded? Do they get bonuses?

    Rick
    (currently cat-herding Win2k with, yup, cute little .5k clusters on the OS
    partition)
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Rick T <plinnane3NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

    heheheheheheehhehh

    (nm)

NTFS Microsoft Windows XP