Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5B-E Can't select all 6 drives for RAID5??

Last response: in Storage
December 16, 2006 1:58:23 PM

Hi I'm trying to setup my first Raid system and i have bought 6 Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB disks and my plan was to setup 1(one) large RAID5 array.
My current opstacle occur in the "Intel® Matrix Storage Manager" I follow a guide and I select "create Raid volume" and gives it a name and then on the next page where i can select the drives to use for the Array the problems occur. I can only choose 4 out of the 6 shown disks?? It says "Select 3-6 disks to use in the array" HMMM I hope you can help me since this is really frustrating.
Just to make it clear, the system can see all 6 disks and I can see them inside the bios too. :( 

Found this Img and it seems like it should work as advertised?
December 18, 2006 2:41:56 PM

Are they all enabled in the BIOS to run in RAID mode?
December 18, 2006 4:06:21 PM

Quote:
Are they all enabled in the BIOS to run in RAID mode?

yep. i talked to an asus tech today he din't know much but he said the board was only supposed to handle 4 disks in the array and then use the last 2 ports as normal disks, hmm
Related resources
December 18, 2006 7:24:33 PM

Maybe put the drives in a NAS.
December 18, 2006 8:41:43 PM

I have the same number & type of drives installed in an ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi/AP. The max number of drives in a RAID5 set for the intel ICH8R controller is 4. What I did is define 2 RAID5 sets of 3 drives each.
December 18, 2006 9:25:12 PM

This may not address your problem, but I just contacted Asus about the P5B-E, and it apparently is being misadvertised as using the ICH8R southbridge. Rather, it uses the ICH8 southbridge. The tech said that's not a manufacturing error--it's supposed to have the inferior chip.
!