Discrepancy between a CMD file count, and a Windows file c..

I'm exporting a bunch of images from a database, and I need to know how many
of them are on an external USB hard drive. When I run - CMD dir /s *.tif -
it shows me as having 568,132 files, when I do it by right clicking on all of
the folders inside of the G drive, which is where my images are stored, I see
508,176 files.

I decided to try it on my local computer, on my Program Files directory.

With CMD - 16,376 files and 4079 directorys
With Windows - 16,456

What in the world is going on? I've got to know how many images there
are.....

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:05:05 -0800, "NMan" <NMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm exporting a bunch of images from a database, and I need to know how many
>of them are on an external USB hard drive. When I run - CMD dir /s *.tif -
>it shows me as having 568,132 files, when I do it by right clicking on all of
>the folders inside of the G drive, which is where my images are stored, I see
>508,176 files.
>
>I decided to try it on my local computer, on my Program Files directory.
>
>With CMD - 16,376 files and 4079 directorys
>With Windows - 16,456
>
>What in the world is going on? I've got to know how many images there
>are.....

In Explorer, the Folder Options Advanced Hode options are in effect.

The CMD.EXE DIR command should be run with /a swich to retrieve files of all attributes.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

"NMan" <NMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm exporting a bunch of images from a database, and I need to know how
many
> of them are on an external USB hard drive. When I run - CMD dir /s
*.tif -
> it shows me as having 568,132 files, when I do it by right clicking on all
of
> the folders inside of the G drive, which is where my images are stored, I
see
> 508,176 files.
>
> I decided to try it on my local computer, on my Program Files directory.
>
> With CMD - 16,376 files and 4079 directorys
> With Windows - 16,456
>
> What in the world is going on? I've got to know how many images there
> are.....

dir /s, when executed from a command prompt, counts the "dotted"
folder entries that are visible at the top of each directory listing:
<DIR> .
<DIR> ..
Explorer does not count them. You can count them like so:
dir /s /ad | find /c " ."

dir /s does not count hidden files unless you add an extra switch.