Building an Upgradable System: AMD or Intel

chadwickvm

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2003
The Core 2 Duos are currently smoking the AMD 64 X2s. However, I was told that the AM2 platform will be able to upgrade its CPU through the AM3 series.

Considering that I only build a PC about every 4 years, that I'd prefer to swap out single parts for upgrades rather than build an entirely new machine, and that I generally like to upgrade to a hair above mainstream, what should I do?

If I got a mobo that ran a C2D E6600 I'd be happier than w/ a similar AMD currently. However, I can't figure out what the roadmap is telling me. To upgrade to whatever is next for Intel, would it require me to swap out Mobo and Ram? If I take an AM2 platform now and use a processor designed for the AM3 platform when they arrive, will the mobo and ram be a bottleneck? Does it look like AMD is going to best intel's current platform even after AM3 comes out? Or do I have the entire situation completely wrong? I'm keeping an eye on performance but I don't want to throw my money to the wind.

I'm just so confused. :cry:

Thanks,

Chad

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
You are right to be confused.

If what AMD is promising is true, then we should have a couple of years to look forward to where new processors will be backwards-compatible, so you can get the latest and greatest CPU and plug it into your AM2 socket and it will work with a few features disabled. This means you have a nice upgrade path since you can get the CPU first, and a year later get a new mobo. IF things turn out as AMD says, this is the way to go... IF. I, and I think a lot of others, haven't been too happy with the disparity between what AMD says (hopes?) and does lately.

On the Intel side, the LGA775 has been great for the last couple of years. I currently own a terribly outmoded processor (D820), but I can upgrade to the C2D on my current P5LD2 mobo. However, same socket doesn't mean total available upgrade path. If you go with the 965 chipset, it should be good for the 45nm C2D's, but I don't think you can expect it to work with Nehalem in 2008.

chadwickvm

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2003
Thank you very much HotFoot.

I think that is exactly what I needed to hear. What I am going to do is still up in the air until February but I think I'm going to start leaning toward C2D.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
The problem with AMD's roadmap, however, is that the backward compatible CPUs (an AM3 CPU in an AM2 socket) will disable key features that will drive portions of the performance curve, this is advantageous to you I as you state only swapping out one component.

Intel's current roadmap shows socket compatible through the current 65 nm quad core product line up. As the new 45 nm chips are coming out at 1333 MHz FSB, and nVidia is releasing reference desings at 1333 MHz FSB, I suspect Intel's socket 775 is good enough through Nehalem at the least -- tought to tell though because C2D necessitated a new MB due to VRM.

If you want guaranteed socket compatible and component reuse, I believe AMD is likely your best bet.
Agreed :wink:
Intel is going to change to Socket B / Socket H in 2008.

The problem isn't with the boards or cpus, it's the memory. As memory requirements change, you have to at least change boards. It's really a tossup as to whether to go with am2 or core2 duo. I would give a slight edge to Intel, as some chipsets such as via allow you to use agp and pc3200. Am2 boards don't give you those options. I just bought a spare socket 939 and agp board, so I can use up my 6 sticks of ddram for a few more years.

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I would look at what you can get now.

Intel's current offerings are hands down superior vs AMD's current offerings.

If you bought a C2D now, you could upgrade it to a Quad Core without upgrading anything else. So, at least you know that you would have an upgrade down the road.

With AMD it is pretty much just a wait and see game. Who knows, but the same could be said for Intel. Intel's offerings 4 years from now will most likely not be compatable with anything that is out right now. And really, how compatable will AMD's be?

Again, at least you would be able to plug in a Core 2 Quad core and it will work. So you would have your upgrade path already layed out for you, if you want.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
The Core 2 Duos are currently smoking the AMD 64 X2s. However, I was told that the AM2 platform will be able to upgrade its CPU through the AM3 series.

Considering that I only build a PC about every 4 years, that I'd prefer to swap out single parts for upgrades rather than build an entirely new machine, and that I generally like to upgrade to a hair above mainstream, what should I do?

If I got a mobo that ran a C2D E6600 I'd be happier than w/ a similar AMD currently. However, I can't figure out what the roadmap is telling me. To upgrade to whatever is next for Intel, would it require me to swap out Mobo and Ram? If I take an AM2 platform now and use a processor designed for the AM3 platform when they arrive, will the mobo and ram be a bottleneck? Does it look like AMD is going to best intel's current platform even after AM3 comes out? Or do I have the entire situation completely wrong? I'm keeping an eye on performance but I don't want to throw my money to the wind.

Thanks,

Chad
I'am getting used too upgrading MB, CPU and Mem ever couple of years now.

All you do is sell you used parts in the local paper and put the $ to the new components.

Or sell the hole PC and build entirely new.

There will allways be people who can't afford or won't buy new and these PC's are more than suitable for what they are going to use it for.

By doing it this way you at least get $ for your old PC and not just chuck it out in the trash :cry:

Cheaper upgrade and you keep up with current apps :D

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Thanks,

Chad
I'am getting used too upgrading MB, CPU and Mem ever couple of years now.

All you do is sell you used parts in the local paper and put the $ to the new components.

Or sell the hole PC and build entirely new.

There will allways be people who can't afford or won't buy new and these PC's are more than suitable for what they are going to use it for.

By doing it this way you at least get $ for your old PC and not just chuck it out in the trash :cry:

Cheaper upgrade and you keep up with current apps :D