Router ports keep frying. Why?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Here's my frustrating problem:

I'm now on my 3rd router (2 Netgear and now a Linksys) and for no apparant reason certain lines (ports) are going dead on me.

I have 4 ports on the back going to 4 computers and this is now the third time where one port will just go dead and become useless. On the first Netgear router, 2 ports eventually went bad. It's not a specific line either.

I have an expensive $80 surge protector for each computer and I can't think of any reason why this is happening. Ideas please?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yes actually! I should have mentioned. Two NICs have blown as well. One PCI card and another onboard blew.

What the heck is going on with me. The surge protectors are brand new...and are different ones than were on the first time a router port blew.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You are apparent getting a surge coming from somewhere. Look closely at all of your connections. AC Packs ... Have you lost a Modem? DSL or Cable? Do you have carpet generating static surges?

You may want to check the outputs on you power supply. I don't know what the voltages are suppose to be on the cat 5 cables.

I only use APC. never have lost a componet yet. I did have a few UPS units that took a direct hit and blew out compents in the ups, but did not make it to my equipment.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
A surge from somewhere...yea. But where??? I was hoping some others would have a bunch of "that happened to me" responses with easy fixes.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Do you have your router connected to a surge protector?

What is your wiring, Is it in wall or just patch cords? Can you inspect it? Does the network wiring run next to high current AC appliances, Florescent fixtures? How long are the runs?

Is there a lot of electrical storms in your area?

Kinda grasping at straws

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
How long are your patch cables? if the ethernet cables going to the computer(s) are under 3ft it may burn out the nics and ports.

Or are any cables going by high powered electric motors/devices. Impedance generated by those could put extra charge in the lines. Though you should see a lot of data curruption before it cooks anything...