Sign in with
Your question

How do I know what kind os SATA HD can my Mobo SUpport?

Last response: in Storage
December 16, 2006 3:34:55 PM

I haven an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo

I know there are like SATA I, II and III

I want to buy one but not buy one that wont work.

Upon reading the manual, the only thing I could find is that is says, up to 150mb/s data transfer rate.

Anyone knows this Mobo and know what kind of SATA it can accept?

More about : kind sata mobo support

a b G Storage
December 16, 2006 7:29:28 PM

Actually there is no SATA III, and technically there is no SATA II either. The so called SATA II devices are the same generation as SATA I, with only a faster interface speed, which makes no difference unless you're RAID'ing multiple drives (more than 3).

Officially the terms are SATA150 (or SATA 1.5Gbps), and SATA300 ( or SATA 3.0Gbps). Your motherboard only supports the SATA150 interface. Therefore, if you buy a SATA300 drive (which I would.... they also have additional features, like Perpendicular recording on most Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 models), you will simply have to move a jumper on the hard drive to force it to use the slower interface. Some drives will automatically detect the fastest interface speed and use it, some need jumpers... but all SATA300 drives can be configured to run as a SATA150 drive.
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 17, 2006 11:42:22 PM

Wouldn't have been my pick, but it's not bad. I'm not a fan of WD hard drives, because Seagate's Barracuda 7200.10 drives have better data throughput because of the perpendicular recording on the disk platters. Seagate also offers 5 year warranties on their drives, where WD I believe only offers 3 years.
December 18, 2006 12:48:19 AM

Thanks for reply.

One other question, where do I attack theWD SATA cable with secureconnect? the instructions are not very clear.
I know the wide end goes into the drive, but what about the other end, the small one?? it doesnt say where to plug that.
December 18, 2006 2:43:48 PM

anyone?
December 18, 2006 5:09:35 PM

thanks
!