Sign in with
Your question

22" vs. 20"

Last response: in Components
December 16, 2006 4:10:48 PM

Hey guys I was looking for advice between the Acer 22" ws vs. the Samsung 20". I play cs and watch some movies on my comp but im not sold on ws. You guys think its a good idea or what? Any input is good and if those suck tell me know. Oh btw im going to get it at best buy or circuit cit because I dont want dead pixels.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-22-Widescreen-Monit...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=146...

More about : question

December 16, 2006 4:46:43 PM

Smart move in getting the LCD locally. I would hate to have dead
pixels. Just know the return policy of the store. I never have a
problem with Best Buy. Comp USA, on the other hand, is a bitch
sometimes.

As far as what LCD to get. I'll let someone else answer that, who
has experience with either one.
December 16, 2006 10:18:44 PM

I have 2 19" standard aspect LCDs and a 22" widescreen. I love the 22". The GREAT thing about it is that it basically matches the height of a standard 19" LCD. So if you ever want to add a 2nd monitor, you can just use a cheapo 19" and you're set. The 22" would be your primary and the 19" would be for everything else.

Also depends what type of games you play. The 22" is great for shooter games. The 20" might be better for RPG, RTS, etc. The 20" @ 1600x1200 has more overall pixels and therefore higher resolution. But the wide aspect is more flexible in my opinion for a variety of uses and pairing with a standard aspect 19".

Either way, the higher rez is GREAT.
Related resources
December 16, 2006 11:20:12 PM

I tried ACER AL2216WBD. That is the 22" widescreen that Circuit City sells. It was amazingly good.

I ended up returning my ACER and bought a Sceptre X22WG instead. It is a 22" widescreen. And it has HDCP built in. Plus HDMI. You will need HDCP on you monitor if you are planning to watch HD movies in the future. HDMI is good for playstation 3 and dvd players.

I am very pleased with my Sceptre. Games looks awesome. I highly recommend it. Check out the reviews at Newegg. There is a lot of happy owners.
December 17, 2006 12:21:19 AM

I have the Samsung 21.5" 215tw monitor (WS) and the 20" 204B. The 204B is 5ms response and the 215tw is 8ms. I'm not sure on the contrast ratio, but I'm thinking it's 1000:1.

I really appreciate the extra jacks on my larger monitor as my Xbox's can both plug into them. I like the stands and how easily they adjust. On the smaller monitor, it has only analog and DVI inputs, but it has no speakers. Most older games (not that old) seem to support standard 4:3 format the best, and without the crappy monitor speakers, this monitor is great for lugging to lan parties. It's big, but not too big, and it's lightweight. The WS model is great for not only the jacks, but obviously the WS format, it's nice when watching DVD's. Samsung makes quality monitors. I ordered both online using pricegrabber.com and have no dead pixels at all after 5 months or so. Hanns-G monitors seem to be the best priced monitors I can find, and they appear to be quality. You might want to check them out too. Even a 19" monitor might make you happy, as an inch or two doesn't always make that big of a difference to some people. I'd just as soon have a nicer set of speakers as another inch on my monitor. :-D
December 17, 2006 1:12:11 AM

Coming from an owner of a Black Friday special Westinghouse 22" (1680 x 1050) 5ms Widescreen 16:10...

I say go for the 22". It is bigger. Enough said :p  I really like mine and widescreen grows on you :D  Who needs 1284309 internet windows open? Apparently I do!

I like being able to read a source for a paper and cite it directly by just looking and paraphrasing it at the same time without having to switch windows.
December 17, 2006 1:28:13 AM

i have that acer mkoniter and i play bf2 and all the new games and lemme tell u...its insane i love that moniter
December 18, 2006 12:54:46 AM

yea I have a 15" right now so....I think im gonna go with the 20" because of its nice res and size. You think I should spring for something that can play hd dvds?
December 18, 2006 2:15:39 AM

Quote:
yea I have a 15" right now so....I think im gonna go with the 20" because of its nice res and size. You think I should spring for something that can play hd dvds?

Yeah, 15" is pretty pathetic.

Are you really going to watch a 2 hour movie on a 20" screen?
December 18, 2006 3:16:26 AM

ok bro trust me once you go widescreen, you will NEVER EVER GO BACK. i got a widescreen lcd monitor and i love it. anyway thats my 2 cents
December 18, 2006 4:27:50 AM

What do you mean "spring for something that can play HD DVD's"? You mean a HD DVD recorder or something? LCD monitors that have DVI are pretty much all capable of displaying HD. If you don't get one with DVI you're buying old junk.

Widescreen IS nice for watching movies.

Also, I was just looking at speakers and sound cards. If anyone wants to know what the best ones are to buy right now for the price, PM me.

Actually, I'll tell you what you they are.

Sound card: Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty
http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Creative_Creative_XFi_70...

Or this one-
http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Creative_Creative_Labs_S...

The difference is the module for your 5.25" bay. If you want REARoptical out to go with the optical input on the speakers below, you'll have to buy this as well:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Creative_Sound_Blaster_D...

Arguably the best speakers (not the best out there, but the best for price!): Logitech's Z-5500's
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid...

Now, some might disagree with these choices, some might try to say that the wireless 5400's are a better choice. They aren't, wireless fidelity isn't what you think it might be, and speakers can "drop"

My choice would be get the i/o module with the cheapest Fatality card, and these speakers. Why buy a kickass monitor for gaming and DVD's if you're just going to have crappy sound? :-D
December 18, 2006 12:31:54 PM

It doesn't matter what LCD panel you get and what hookups you have. If you buy a LCD panel without HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) you will not be able to watch HD Movies in full HD resolution. It will Limit it self to a lower resolution. Do a Google search about HDCP.
December 18, 2006 1:05:00 PM

I have the samsung 205bw, I wish I had spent the extra $100 on the 225bw, both are 1680x1050 so that that makes the dot pitch on the 20 around 100dpi vs 85dpi on the 22.

I would prefer the 22 in, 'cuz of my old tired eyes :) 
December 18, 2006 10:27:45 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what LCD panel you get and what hookups you have. If you buy a LCD panel without HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) you will not be able to watch HD Movies in full HD resolution. It will Limit it self to a lower resolution. Do a Google search about HDCP.

I know about HDCP. High-Def depends on how you classify it. 720p is still considered HD.
December 18, 2006 11:45:41 PM

Quote:

I know about HDCP. High-Def depends on how you classify it. 720p is still considered HD.

True it is considered HD. But If you read what I wrote I said "full HD resolution" . 720p is not considered full hd resolution.

Why buy a monitor that is limited to 720p when there is monitors that can do 1080i and 1080p for the same money?
December 19, 2006 12:08:47 AM

Quote:

If your monitor isn't HDCP it won't display at 720p. It will display at 480p.......
December 19, 2006 12:14:42 AM

so eh can you guys recommend a cheap but good 20" or 22" with hdcp?
December 19, 2006 12:48:28 AM

I got a 20" LG L204WT (1680*1050) at Future Shop and I love it. Actually, the first one had an annoying red dead pixel but they let me have another one in exchange and even tested it on the spot to make sure it had no dead pixels. If you've got a BestBuy in the neighborhood it's probably got the same policies, I understand it's actually the same company.

I considered the Acer model too but the reviews were not that good. Another model you may want to look at is Viewsonic VX2025WM. It's also 20" 1680*1050 and it got great reviews. I use one at work and it's very good but I have no idea how it would behave for games. The LG has a 5 ms response time, the Viewsonic 8 (I think). Some people say 8 ms response is fine for movies and games, some say you absolutely need 5 ms or better.

You can find some reviews here:
http://www.zdnet.com/
http://www.cnet.com/

Another thing I got from my research: Samsung seems to be considered the best, but the prices are also higher. For example I wanted a 215TW just because it has an S-Video input and it would have allowed me to have a dual-monitor setup, but I gave up because it was about twice as much money as the LG.
December 19, 2006 12:48:53 AM

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:14 pm Post subject: Re: 22" vs. 20"
so eh can you guys recommend a cheap but good 20" or 22" with hdcp?

The Samsung 205bw can be found for $200
December 19, 2006 12:59:29 AM

This is the one I bought. It has all the bells and whistles. Analog input, DVi, HDMI, 2USB, built in speakers (good for webcam phone conversations). The speakers are hidden.

I tried ACER AL2216WBD and Samsung 225BW. They are both good. But The Sceptre was my final choice based on features and HDCP. I'm very satisfied.

Sceptre X22WG
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

$359 - $20 mail in rebate - Free shipping with Paypal checkout = $339 total. Enter promo code: PAYPALFREE
December 19, 2006 1:40:34 AM

Quote:

If your monitor isn't HDCP it won't display at 720p. It will display at 480p.......

exactly. Get one with HDCP if you think you might want to watch movies on your computer. Personally, I don't like to watch movies on my computer, thats what I have a big TV for.

HDCP still sucks though, I don't mind buying HD-DVDs but hope someone hacks it so i don't have buy a new monitor and video card. Kind of a pathetic way to make a few bucks "screw everyone including the honest people", almost makes me not want to watch any more movies.
December 19, 2006 1:41:06 AM

I just bought the samsung 22" from circuit city and am very happy with it. I spent a little time tweaking it and I think the red right now is not red enough. Its a little pinkish. But that is probably because I am not an expert at tweaking these things yet. Its a great monitor. I ran my old 19" crt at 1600x1200, so I spent a large amount of time researching these things. I also bought at CC because I wanted to be able to easily return it. And so far, its working great. I think once you get up to 22" and above, you should definitely go widescreen. Any smaller and I think the vertical height is too small. The monitor is very large looking and very bright. Its a great choice. The only monitor I thought of ordering online is the BenQ 22", because no one sells that around here.

If it wasn't for newegg, where would anyone buy enthusiast level parts???
December 19, 2006 1:51:38 AM

I bought a westinghouse 20.1" from bestbuy.. Perfect.

on sale 219$, no ghosting @ 8ms. its bad ass.

This was after I returned my samsung because of there resolution glitch
December 19, 2006 2:34:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but it's still a westinghouse...:-P

Samsung rules.

My 215tw is HDCP. I checked. I also found out my 204B isn't.
I'm still relatively new to figuring out all this damn High Def and DRM crapola. Why can't everything just use the same kind of I/O and use adapters for go between? Don't put a freakin' analog connection on my monitor. Just include a cheap-o adapter for the DVI port. More choices isn't always better, as it drives up the cost of items. I also don't like to have speakers on my monitors. It's just stupid. They suck and it adds to my cost. I'd rather have another inch on my screen.
December 19, 2006 2:37:30 AM

Quote:

Samsung rules.

I'm still relatively new to figuring out all this damn High Def and DRM crapola. Why can't everything just use the same kind of I/O and use adapters for go between? Don't put a freakin' analog connection on my monitor. Just include a cheap-o adapter for the DVI port. More choices isn't always better, as it drives up the cost of items. I also don't like to have speakers on my monitors. It's just stupid. They suck and it adds to my cost. I'd rather have another inch on my screen.

/agree
December 19, 2006 2:49:33 AM

Not to mention the added weight and bulk when I lug it around and when it's on my desk. Even shipping could be a bit cheaper. More landfill junk someday, and more gas and wear and tear on vehicles to transport it...

Some day humans will understand efficiency, and think through the finer details. Until then...I'll have outdated PS/2 ports on my computer and analog jacks on my monitor. :-(
December 19, 2006 4:09:05 AM

Quote:

Samsung rules.

Are you sure that your Samsung 215tw has HDCP. In some countries it has it and in some it doesn't. It has been added in the markets where Samsung thinks they need it to sell their monitors.

As far as I could see on Samsung Americas website they do not sell their 215tw with HDCP. If they do then that is really good. I like Samsung.

I'm just making sure that you are not saying the wrong thing by mistake. I would hate to hear that someone bought their monitor based on what you said and it wasn't true. If you could post a link for us then that would be great. We would then know for sure to put that monitor on the HDCP list.
December 19, 2006 6:39:10 AM

In America is precisely where they added it. Yes, I checked out other forums and reviews. It has it, but Samsung didn't post it on their site.
December 19, 2006 11:02:19 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the info. :D 
December 19, 2006 11:14:50 AM

I managed to find the info on Samsung USA web site. They don't make it easy to find but here it is.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which Samsung LCD Monitors With DVI Connectors Are HDCP Compliant?

Attached File

Answer
The following Samsung LCD monitors with DVI connectors are HDCP compliant:

204Ts
214T
242MP
244T
930MP
931MP
932MP
940MW
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 19, 2006 12:20:17 PM

The Second Monitor is The SGI 1600SW 17.4" 16:10 Its My Second Monitor In My Dual-Monitor Setup It Used It As My Monitor For The Last 3 Years Before I Got My New 22" Sceptre
December 19, 2006 4:58:23 PM

I've read on several sites that they are though. I wonder if Samsung just failed to update the list? They have newer large monitors out that I'm sure are, like the 214BW, and it's not on there either. Perhaps all their newer ones are and that list is old.
December 20, 2006 12:49:06 AM

I just bought a samsung 225bw and I love it some people are saying to much backlight bleed but I hardly notice. 22" with no dead pixels 5ms response time 700/1 contrast. it is hdcp the only downside is it only has dvi and vga connections, but i got 50 off of it at office max with brought it down to 350 including tax and I got to see my specific monitor hooked up in the store. I love it and am thinking I might get another one. it replaced a 17" crt. and I still have more room left over than that piece.
December 20, 2006 2:04:17 AM

Ok im def gonna get the 225bw. Thanks a lot for the advice guys!
August 28, 2009 2:31:10 PM

Lol, keep the post GOING
!