behind the user names, who are we?

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I have only been registered on toms for a short while, however i had followed the forums for years, and i have always wondered who these people are? After awhile you kind of know how a certain personis gonna respond and who knows their stuff and who doesnt. Right off hand i know that baronmatrix and dasickninja are probably not gonna agree, so who are you guys and gals. Im 36 years old, a married father of two, i like working out, spending time with my kids, watching old movies, and on friday i get a beer and some chiops to watch my favorite show battlestar galactica. I work as a machinist and i also am a student trying to get my bachelors degree, I stress education and physical fitness to my kids. My passion is computers and i like to tinker with them ever opportunity i get . Thats me, who are you?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I have only been registered on toms for a short while, however i had followed the forums for years, and i have always wondered who these people are? After awhile you kind of know how a certain personis gonna respond and who knows their stuff and who doesnt. Right off hand i know that baronmatrix and dasickninja are probably not gonna agree, so who are you guys and gals. Im 36 years old, a married father of two, i like working out, spending time with my kids, watching old movies, and on friday i get a beer and some chiops to watch my favorite show battlestar galactica. I work as a machinist and i also am a student trying to get my bachelors degree, I stress education and physical fitness to my kids. My passion is computers and i like to tinker with them ever opportunity i get . Thats me, who are you?

Well, I'm a MechEngr, 41 years young, I am currently an Analyst Programmer in .Net. I make music, play Q4, like to party (haven't in a while).

I love advanced research and my favorite thing to do is talk about computers.

Ninja and I always agree that we disagree on some things.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
The Baron once asked if I were a MechEng, which is close. I'm close to being an Aerospace Engineer. I say close because I don't have my P.Eng yet so I can't truly call myself an Engineer. I'm fresh out of a Master's and looking for work, so I occupy a good deal of my time working with computers... mostly setting up systems for family members.

What I want to do with my career is work in aerodynamics, hence my interest in computational fluid dynamics. As with many engineering applications, raw computing power won't be anywhere near what I could use for another two hundred years even if Moore's law continues unabated. I won't be happy until I have a supercomputer in my home office.

Oh yeah, and I like playing around with computer hardware. I'm always cracking my case open to tweak something or other. I figure this is a much more affordable hobby than what was done a generation ago: cars. Also, I think blue LED's shining on a computer case are less annoying than the same lights on the bottom of cars. And giant spoilers on a Civic rub me the wrong way as an aerodynamicist.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The Baron once asked if I were a MechEng, which is close. I'm close to being an Aerospace Engineer. I say close because I don't have my P.Eng yet so I can't truly call myself an Engineer. I'm fresh out of a Master's and looking for work, so I occupy a good deal of my time working with computers... mostly setting up systems for family members.

What I want to do with my career is work in aerodynamics, hence my interest in computational fluid dynamics. As with many engineering applications, raw computing power won't be anywhere near what I could use for another two hundred years even if Moore's law continues unabated. I won't be happy until I have a supercomputer in my home office.

Oh yeah, and I like playing around with computer hardware. I'm always cracking my case open to tweak something or other. I figure this is a much more affordable hobby than what was done a generation ago: cars. Also, I think blue LED's shining on a computer case are less annoying than the same lights on the bottom of cars. And giant spoilers on a Civic rub me the wrong way as an aerodynamicist.

Yeah, I haven't gone for my PE. I have my EIT and went into programming. I still consider myself an ME though, because that test was a B I T C H. Especially when they changed the format in 97 when I took it.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

Yours is so close to what mine would be, I'll just repost yours.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

Yeah, I haven't gone for my PE. I have my EIT and went into programming. I still consider myself an ME though, because that test was a B I T C H. Especially when they changed the format in 97 when I took it.

I got a BLT while in DC. No sh.it. :cry:

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
wow, i thought most guys in here were a lot younger, i post in some forums and i can tell that a lot of the posters are lke thirteen years old. I really just browse throught gamespot pc hardware forums because of the younglings in there. Its good to know we are all in the same age range, and have more than a decade of pc or computer expreriance.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Wow, you sound alot like me. I'm 33 also a married father of 2. I work as a wire EDM operator. I like working out also. I go to TKD 3 times a week and hold a 2nd degree black belt. Sometimes I go on long runs and even completed a marathon back in 2005. I want to be a good role model for my kids and try to ensure that they complete their education at the collegiate level (something I never did.)

I also enjoy going out under the night sky with my small telescope. Don't do this near as often as I did when I was younger though.

I started computers as a hobby back in 1994 when I took the lid off that old packard bell 486SX 25 for the first time. Havent really looked back since. I worked as a tech at a mom and pop computer store for a while and while I enjoyed working with all the new hardware as it came out, I just simply found dealing with the public too frustrating. So now I just do my computers as a hobby other than a bit of CAD drawings and G code programming I do in my job.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I feel humbled. I'm a 17 year-old student who has 37 degrees(showing my immaturity right off the bat, I guess) living in South Africa, even though I'm Taiwanese. My interests mostly revolve around Computers, and, strangely enough for this generation, books.

As you may have already guessed, I am single.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
@op: nice reaching out to other users.

I know that most people here are honest and well informed about tech stuff. I do enjoy the forum and learning some new stuff here. But I can't say I feel comfortable sharing details of my personal life to strangers.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006

Guys, not everybody here is American.. how are we supposed to know what's EIT, PE, BLT, etc etc.. :?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I worked as a tech at a mom and pop computer store for a while and while I enjoyed working with all the new hardware as it came out, I just simply found dealing with the public too frustrating. So now I just do my computers as a hobby other than a bit of CAD drawings and G code programming I do in my job.

Wow, we have something in common. I used to have my own PC consulting business and that was exactly why I closed it. People don't listen to instructions.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I am a 21 year old, and have just finished a degree in Criminology at the University of Southampton, computers are my hobby and I love doing the whole thing on a shoestring!

Other than that, I go travelling to crazy places (which is why you wont see me around for several months at a time), work many different jobs to fund said travelling, and have lots of friends who party loads. My preferred narcotic is "Bob Marley", which I love to do whilst watching The Shield and listening to Brand New and Bright Eyes with some close friends.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

Guys, not everybody here is American.. how are we supposed to know what's EIT, PE, BLT, etc etc.. :?

Well here in the UK a BLT is a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwich, so I can only assume he eat a sandwich in Washington DC. :D

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Well here in the UK a BLT is a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwich, so I can only assume he eat a sandwich in Washington DC. :D

I love being English! But reading that you just made me want a BLT. :(

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is a nice topic :D , get tho know the person behind the nickname.

I am only 16 years old (youngest one of this topic i see :p ), im from holland (you know, the small cold country :lol: ). Im am still on school, i have no idea how its called in english the sector im in, but it has to do with computers 8) ... and i just love driving with my zundapp :D

Keep this topic going!! :D

Sup, its me. The Ninja. Legally known as Juan. Hailing from the island known as St. Lucia. I'm one of the young guns here, just breaking the legal barrier at 18. I am a computer science/engineering and IT major at UConn. When I'm not in computers, you can find me being dragged around the mall, being emasculated by my girlfriend, working on my cars, lusting after cars, practicing capoeira, meditating, drawing and or reading various manga.

I respect those that came before me, try to avoid most Forumz fights, and irking my friends but am not above telling someone where they can go shove it. I actually respect Baron, even if his positions and mine differ greatly, Jack, Pippero, Spud, TabisDarkPeace, and the rest who know far more about CPU u/arch than I ever will, and Wusy who's like a OC mentor to me. I'm here to constantly learn, help other learn, chill and shoot the breeze with my crew DaClan.... and find the perfect cup of coffee.

You can always find me arguing with rawritsdario, 3lfk1ng or Prozac26 on some inane topic.

Thats me in a nutshell.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

EIT - Engineer In Training
PE - Professional Engineer

yquo

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I own a cybercafe with 17 computers, liked computers since 286, learned how to assembly one in 2000 and then sell some. Studied to become a system analyst until 2004.

13 x Geforce FX5200 = 1.6 Gb DDR memory, 3250 Mhz core, 4329 Mhz memory, 832 bits bus, that's better than a 8800 GTX right ? :lol:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
To be perfectly honest I think it's a good thing that people have 'screen-names' rather than their real selves. Sure you'll get a couple of people pretending to be Bill Gates, 20 years older than they are or whatever, but I'd still rather not know about you guys past a screen name.

Not in an offensive way, but it's sorta like putting everyone on a level playing field - without needing to know people's race, gender, age, whatever...just sorting the people who know from the people who don't (and then the folks in the middle who just want to learn a lil bit more).

Although some details found out here are interesting, for example I'd now like to hear BM's music if he'd care to provide a link to somewhere.

Just my opinion, but obviously I'm not going to stop anyone!