Sign in with
Your question

behind the user names, who are we? - Page 2

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2006 9:29:38 PM

Well,

Maybe when you get out of college, get a civilian engineering job for Lockheed, submit some TCTO's to the Air Force and fix all the damn problems the Raptor is having. Great theory, bad implentation so far. But like the rest of them, I am sure they will eventually get it ironed out.

wes
December 16, 2006 9:35:03 PM

Well, the biggest problem with the Raptor is that it costs too much ($100 million apiece, I think).

Anyways, the Raptors gonna get replaced by the cheaper, more versatile, less stealthier JSF. Raptors will only be used for elite missions, like the F117 or Blackbirds were. Just too damn expensive.

They'll probably be onto the next generation of fighter planes before I have enough experience to work on one...
December 16, 2006 9:47:14 PM

I am from Serbia ( you know - where is Kosovo?) I saw F117 in action, but we manage to make on his body some extra holes but he couldn`t fly again. He crash. :roll:

Btw, the F117 was discovered with Soviet radar system from 1976!!!. It`s a shame for USAF.
Related resources
December 16, 2006 9:50:03 PM

Not only do they cost to much, but they have experienced many problems with cross galvanization, having to cut a pilot out of the cockpit, and also problems with the carbon fiber. To sum it all up, it was rushed. It's a great idea, but, they just made to many dumb mistakes. And, it's not only the inital expense that is high, but, the years and years of fixing the original mistakes will be expensive.

With my experience with LM, they have an attitude of, get in in the system, and then play fix the original problems later. We are having that problem with all of he AMP'ed C-5's. The new glass cockpit was rushed, and not tested long enough. Each C-5 has it's own set of "custom" problems. Edit: decided to remove some stuff I should not have posted on these forums....

The Raptor, if it stays in service, will be in service for quite some time. And, they will probably put you on something like that before they put you on a new design team. So, chances are, you will be working on one of the fighters. Are you planning on working on the military side of the avionics industry, or the civilian side?

wes
December 16, 2006 9:51:21 PM

I assume you are proud of this?

wes

Edit: Well, I don't think they took into mind that someone would actually be using this old equipment. But, I guess they should have thought about the countries that can't afford to upgrade.

Edit 2: And, he did fly again, just not in that plane. I think, that was the first one shot down, if I am not mistaken. And, btw, the A/C was designed about the same time the radar was built. The first one seeing service in 82 I think, so, it should be expected, that eventually, someone will find a way to take on down. It was only a matter of time.
December 16, 2006 9:58:06 PM

Hi All
I'm 20 years old, I live in the outback Australia.
I'm currently working as a System Admin.
I drink too much, smoke too much, and I'm a lead singer of a newly formed metal band.
My fav band is Tool.

I don't usually post much on the Forumz, but what can I say, I'm at work, and I'm bored.

Acoo Coo Cachoo
December 16, 2006 9:58:18 PM

No, I am not proud! I am very dissatisfied because i like new tehnologies. Make a airplane invisible is great idea. If you ask me - i will give the Nobel price to man who invented that.
December 16, 2006 10:00:10 PM

Name's Jo & I'm a 26 year-old MSc (computing science) student at UAlberta (Canada). My BSc degree is is Mechanical Engineering - I really like both mechanical devices and computers so I'm doing a degree in each.

I really liked my engineering job (downhole motor design) after I graduated 4 1/2 years ago and will be going back to do that after I finish my master's this summer. I also made software for engineering calculations at my old job and now I know the right process to making software and how to use databases properly & so forth.

Love Star Wars, computers (building, making programs...), Hockey - I'm a ball hockey goalie.

Jo
December 16, 2006 10:03:19 PM

Just so you understand my attack on this, it sounded as if you were boasting, and you are speaking of people I work with. Not that Pilot, but others I work with, in the same branch, and see every day. So, no harm no foul. I just thought you were trying to make a mockery of it. Sorry for jumping to the defense.

wes
December 16, 2006 10:10:02 PM

Quote:
I am from Serbia ( you know - where is Kosovo?) I saw F117 in action, but we manage to make on his body some extra holes but he couldn`t fly again. He crash. :roll:

Btw, the F117 was discovered with Soviet radar system from 1976!!!. It`s a shame for USAF.

Actually, F117's are stealthiest only when the radar hits them absolute head on. Otherwise, they can be seen.
December 16, 2006 10:10:32 PM

Quote:

Koji kurac, ovo je forum za hardver.

Quote:
The US gov might not be happy with you, and your traceable IP.

US gov sux!
December 16, 2006 10:12:52 PM

Quote:
Not only do they cost to much, but they have experienced many problems with cross galvanization, having to cut a pilot out of the cockpit, and also problems with the carbon fiber. To sum it all up, it was rushed. It's a great idea, but, they just made to many dumb mistakes. And, it's not only the inital expense that is high, but, the years and years of fixing the original mistakes will be expensive.

With my experience with LM, they have an attitude of, get in in the system, and then play fix the original problems later. We are having that problem with all of he AMP'ed C-5's. The new glass cockpit was rushed, and not tested long enough. Each C-5 has it's own set of "custom" problems. Edit: decided to remove some stuff I should not have posted on these forums....

The Raptor, if it stays in service, will be in service for quite some time. And, they will probably put you on something like that before they put you on a new design team. So, chances are, you will be working on one of the fighters. Are you planning on working on the military side of the avionics industry, or the civilian side?

wes

Actually, I'm thinking of working on space projects. And I'll try to stay civilian...

Who knows? Maybe I'll get free tickets to Mars :p 
December 16, 2006 10:14:27 PM

No harm. I have a younger brother and he adore fighter-jets. Recently he cross the fence on the national airport just to see a comercial airliner on landing. Of course, the pilot report him to airport security :D  :D  :D  because he was just 10 METERS FROM THE RUNWAY!!!
December 16, 2006 10:15:52 PM

Quote:
http://www.aeronautics.ru/f117down.htm?
The US gov might not be happy with you, and your traceable IP.

Lol. Serbianboy, if I were you, I'd go into hiding somewhere far away. Otherwise, you'll never see (literally) those B2's coming.
December 16, 2006 10:17:52 PM

Quote:
No harm. I have a younger brother and he adore fighter-jets. Recently he cross the fence on the national airport just to see a comercial airliner on landing. Of course, the pilot report him to airport security :D  :D  :D  because he was just 10 METERS FROM THE RUNWAY!!!

If I were airport security, I'd let him stay where he was. The first blast of jetwash from a 747's engines should wisen him up.
December 16, 2006 10:24:10 PM

Quote:
The Daily Mail is more of a problem to this country than chavs.

true, along witht the sun, daily express, news of the world etc. tabloids should not be considered newspapers. there should be a law stating that it is a tabloid so people dont believe everything that it says!
though with this article, regardless of the swing i'm pretty sure that you will get the gest of it.
oh also i'm a telegraph man myself, sometimes the Times, i hate the independent and the sun and the daily mail, and the daily express and news of the world....
December 16, 2006 10:24:48 PM

I agree with you. And i dont need to hide - my father works in US embassy. I`ts a joke :D  . Everything i said is well known in whole. There is nothing new.

How you know that i have traceable IP if you are ordinary visitor of this forum? Or you nave other intentions?
December 16, 2006 10:29:00 PM

Unless you are damn sneaky, and use proxies and IP masks, like some people I know do, your IP is always traceable.
December 16, 2006 10:29:13 PM

Aren't all IP's traceable through triangulation, like phone calls? Especially if you a static IP.
December 16, 2006 10:32:04 PM

The IP you use is specific to the country and even province or state you are in.
December 16, 2006 10:32:05 PM

SUP, kool topic. i just turned 18 on the 11th. this is my last year in high school and i wanna be a cop. My nickname BigCharb doesnt mean i'm obese, i'm 185 and hold the schools bench press record at 245, this year i'm aiming for 310. after last year EVERYONE started calling me BIG CHARB

l8er :) 
December 16, 2006 10:32:36 PM

this is cool, after awhile u feel like you kinda know each other, i must admit there have been afew surprises, i thought some of us were older and some younger, but all in all it seems like everone is a pretty cool bunch with pretty normal lives, big suprise was how many of us are involoved in acvities outside of computers.
December 16, 2006 10:33:25 PM

Maybe, i dont care about that. Well...

Good night folks, read you next time.

Greeting from Serbia!
December 16, 2006 10:41:37 PM

Yah, there are I'm sure a lot of undercover geeks that we don't know about. i like going on forums cuz no one looks at your popularity, only ur knowledge on computers.
December 16, 2006 10:47:39 PM

I’m 48 years old.
25 + years as an auto tech.
Currently building and maintaining diagnostic pc interface equipment for service stations related to computer on board diagnostics.

Originally trained by the military in electronics (computer related) and further educated to no degree of success.
I hated calculus and trig. :?

I’ve been uninvolved in forum activity until recently but have lurked in the background for more years than I care to admit. :wink:

I started overclocking after the DX4 100 was introduced and never looked back.
This being my only passion I have no life that I am aware of.
Normally I would say I liked cars but after working on them for half my life the thrill is gone.
8)
December 16, 2006 10:56:50 PM

Quote:
Normally I would say I liked cars but after working on them for half my life the thrill is gone.

no kidding :lol: 
December 16, 2006 11:02:49 PM

I was hesitant to admit this for fear of the dreaded what’s wrong with my vehicle pm :lol: 
December 16, 2006 11:09:16 PM

Quote:
I was hesitant to admit this for fear of the dreaded what’s wrong with my vehicle pm :lol: 

Does that mean you prefer "what's wrong with my PC" pm's?
December 16, 2006 11:12:59 PM

nuts, i was gonna post earlier thisafternoon before everything got so big. then i wouldn't be a tag-along. oh well, better late then never...?

i'm Isaiah, aka Zauh, aka Zazey aka Ike aka any number of things that are easier to spell/pronounce/whatever than Isaiah. i'm 16, a sophomore in highschool, and the member of various clubs and organizations including the Cross Country team, Soccer team, academic team, beta club, fbla, blah blah blah.

i love music, play guitar and bass and saxophone and violin, dl like a fiend, play in a band (and the school band), dabbled in graffiti as an outlet for my art, draw and read alot, play vid games, post on the forum, hang out with friends, you know, that kinda stuff.

i wanna be something medical when i grow up, b/c its helpful and entertaining. never a dull day, or a repetitive day, you know? well, i guess it depends on what you do, but you know.

i have and (probably) always loved computers, i used to mess around with our ancient Mac when i was like 7, and password-lock my parents out :lol:  good times. i've always wanted to build a sweet rig for the time, but never had the money, so my friends helped me scrounge some recycled parts (thank you friends, so much!). i try to animate and be creative on my computer so my parent's don't get pissed that i just "shoot people" all the time online. its workin out pretty well, i guess. but i do loves me some computers! i like to come here and listen to people who know exponentially more than myself, and try to help people when i can.

so now i've written way too much and nobody'll probably read it as i'm near the end, but there's my addition to the THG unmasking party.
December 16, 2006 11:15:47 PM

Quote:

didnt think of that. ssshhhh :lol: 

i would tell them to buy a modis scanner, it has a windows c.e. op sys.
December 16, 2006 11:27:58 PM

Quote:

Does that mean you prefer "what's wrong with my PC" pm's?

that I can still handle :) 
December 16, 2006 11:42:35 PM

I'm 33, married, father of two. Did a bachelor and master of engineering, and have spent 11 years in the software development industry as a contractor. Most recently doing complex Java applications for large (in this part of the world) corporates.

I spend a fair bit of time at toms at the moment while I wait for JBoss to restart every time I have to redeploy my app (takes about 2 mins on my E6600). Been coming off and on for 6 or so years.

I've been playing with computers since the venerable Sinclair ZX81 with 1kB of RAM (went to 16kB with a RAM Pack that used to cause the machine to re-boot if it was touched because of a loose connection). You probably won't have heard of one of these outside of the UK.

Outside of work, I spend time with my family, and I sleep. Every now and again I manage to get a game of DotA in, but that's about all. Oh, and we are in the throws of planning the re-building of our house (loosely called a renovation, but if we are removing the roof and most of the walls, I think re-build is a bit more accurate).
December 17, 2006 12:11:51 AM

That's pretty much a re-build MacDuff. I would almost argue that just demoing the whole thing would be easier but there's the whole part about it being your home and all lol.

I'm a 19yr old pursuing a Bachelors or even Masters as an Architechtural Designer. I work at Wal-Mart to pay for school, am my family's resident computer guru, and I enjoy the simple pleasures of hunting, fishing, and trap shooting (if anyone out there has wierder tastes than I let me know).

The thing that got me involved with computers was being contracted by my school do to work with 3 other people (my best friend and my co-department heads) on designing and reasearching the new workstations for the school. I was good with the software (i.e. how many people will learn this the fastest), my friend did hardware, and our department heads argued on our behalf for more money for the project (our budget was around $2500 for hardware and $15k for each PC for software)

That sums me up.
December 17, 2006 12:26:39 AM

Quote:
That's pretty much a re-build MacDuff. I would almost argue that just demoing the whole thing would be easier but there's the whole part about it being your home and all lol.

Yeah I know - it's note *quite* as bad as it sounds - the house is on a slope, and has 1.5 stories - so the bottom half of a story will remain intact. Also, there's some great native timber for the floor that we want to keep. The architect reckons that we'll save $NZ100,000 by not bulldozing (that's around $US70,000 at the current exchange rate), so I'd say it was worth it. Fortunately, we won't be living there while the "renovation" is going on.
December 17, 2006 12:41:36 AM

Quote:
Oh, and we are in the throws of planning the re-building of our house (loosely called a renovation, but if we are removing the roof and most of the walls, I think re-build is a bit more accurate).

Reminds me of something I once read. It goes something like:

This axe has been in my family for generations. Its head has been replaced 4 times and its handle 7 times.
December 17, 2006 12:55:52 AM

Got lost in the replies Sir.

I have fought at 240 before, I am blessed with being very strong for my weight (205) but with a slight shift in diet and more large muscle group workout I can add weight fairly easily and maintain quickness.

I am a striker with a little Jiu Jitsu background, not much but I can choke opponents out if I get a chance. I have only won by anything other than chokes and K.O./T.K.O./Referee stoppage once and that was an armbar that the kid rolled right into.
December 17, 2006 1:02:07 AM

goodluck in your next fight.
hope you win by trianglechoke. or the cro cop kick to the head.

when you are televised pm me and ill watch.
December 17, 2006 1:07:48 AM

Thanks! I may be fighting on "Showtime" if I win decisively or in a "fan friendly" manor. Friend of mine is going to be fighting so would be cool to take a trip to L.A. with him.

Triangle is probably my least skilled move behind ankle lock or wrist lock. I just never had the knack of rolling from guard and getting my legs up that high. I'd prefer to stand toe to toe with this guy, he has a weak chin and was a wrestler through high school. I predict he falls victim to an inside jab or knee when he drops to try and take my legs.
December 17, 2006 1:22:17 AM

Jack is nearly 2x my age (20) and at least 38238x as smart.
December 17, 2006 1:22:52 AM

You tag too?
December 17, 2006 1:27:00 AM

Do you always have to be an ass?
December 17, 2006 1:27:49 AM

Hehe, Okay I'm about a few hours late but .. here it goes.

I'm 17 and I'm in 12th grade, it's supposed to be my final year but am staying 1 extra year till 2008 to get into University for Computer Engineering
or Computer Science(can't decide what's better). And you know the regular type of nerdys on these forums. =Former President of Photography, Student head of Technology(President of Technology Club) and Head Tech Of Video Club(- Am a Total Dweeb and 185lbs 5'7" On the chubby side but am working out to replace with some muscles.
I'm Indian, That's why Computers, Science and Engineering are all IMP :p 
But wanting to Either do University B Eng of Computer Engineering or Go to collage and do Computer Engineering technology and final year go to University get a double (Applied B Eng Diploma/ Bachelor of Technology Degree) at York University in Toronto*I'm SO CONFUSED!!:cry: 
:(  Gary Jules: "It's a Very, Very MAD World!" (this apply to my options of my future :( 
December 17, 2006 1:47:33 AM

You've been reported. Thats the last I'll say to you.
December 17, 2006 1:48:02 AM

The modesty that comes with old age... :p 
December 17, 2006 1:51:00 AM

Quote:
Jack is nearly 2x my age (20) and at least 38238x as smart.

Hey, that is not fair.... there is a huge difference between book smart and street smart. Who knows, you may become a millionaire (it not already) by 23, in which case we may ask 'who is smarter now :) ', on top of that... you're posts are quite intelligently presented.

Jack

Jack, whether it may be book smart or street smart you're just plan genius.
December 17, 2006 1:51:14 AM

Quote:
You tag too?

i tried my hand for a while.... banksy's masterpieces went to my head and all. i really do love banksy so so much. he's such an amazing cultural figure. anyway, i moved, and i'm playin it cool here in my new town....
December 17, 2006 1:52:06 AM

Ah, what was your best bomb?

Edit: Heres the tag I use:
December 17, 2006 1:57:48 AM

Quote:
Ah, what was your best bomb?

Edit: Heres the tag I use:

woah that is so cool! ah! i really like it a lot!

i had some friends, older than me, they wouldn't let me tag along (no pun intended) with them on their... nights out.... so i uh... y'know... may have altered some of their stuff.... heh. i've got no pics, but a good ole fav was a nice biohazard stencil i've still got hidden in my room (so my folks don't find it).

i was stupid enough to do it on my neighbor's house for starters :oops:  .... true, it was small and out of sight and not really vandalistic (whether or not thats a word, thats the kind of graffiti i hate).. but it was still terrible! i was young.....

do you mind if i save your's? i'm starting a file of cool images i find on the net, and i'd love to be able to look back on that if its okay with you.
December 17, 2006 2:03:06 AM

Quote:
You've been reported. Thats the last I'll say to you.

OOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! such an interweb tough guy! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

come on, man, is that kind of inflamatory remark even worthwhile? really. you've been around a while. you've got some posts under your belt. i know that not everyone likes everyone else, but can't you just play nice?
!