Sign in with
Your question

behind the user names, who are we? - Page 3

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2006 2:03:58 AM

That would be more than cool with me. When I get around to it, I'll send you some of the other artwork I've done.
Heres the alternative version:

December 17, 2006 2:06:54 AM

Quote:
That would be more than cool with me. When I get around to it, I'll send you some of the other artwork I've done.

that is really so cool. thank you so much, and i swear i'm a do-gooder who won't like go 'round saying its mine 'n stuff. people used to do that to me in 3rd grade, the bigger kids would steal my comic strips and say they were theirs... it sucked so bad. but i got lots of practice drawing more! :lol:  what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, huh?
December 17, 2006 2:09:23 AM

Quote:

Sure.

i'm not sure how sincere that was, but i thank you anyway.

i'll quit off-tracking everyone now, toodles
Related resources
December 17, 2006 2:09:45 AM

Quote:

that is really so cool. thank you so much, and i swear i'm a do-gooder who won't like go 'round saying its mine 'n stuff. people used to do that to me in 3rd grade, the bigger kids would steal my comic strips and say they were theirs... it sucked so bad. but i got lots of practice drawing more! :lol:  what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, huh?
That's what's cool about everyone knowing your tag. No one can say its theirs. I haven't signed my name on anything since 4th grade :D 
December 17, 2006 2:33:25 AM

Hmm, why not.

Hailing all the way from snowy Montreal (ok now it's raining in the middle of december, but thats beside the point), I'm 24 and almost ready to retire. NOT! (in Barat voice). I'm an Elec. Eng, working in telecom and embedded design. My hobbies include car mechanics, hockey, shorinjiryu karate (2nd dan), anything computer-related and RTS/MMO gaming.
I got somewhat hooked on WoW a few years back when it came out, that game is definitely too addictive and creates a great sense of virtual community amongst your fellow guildies, but that's long gone now.

Cheers
December 17, 2006 2:45:37 AM

28 years old, undergrad in Accounting and then got an MBA. I am currently employed by the US government. :D 

I read the forums and play some games on my pc and stuff. I'm not a hard-core enthusiast, but I do like to build my own stuff. I wish I had more time for it (video games, etc,) but work and family come first.
December 17, 2006 3:10:58 AM

I'm Alan. I'm an 18 year old freshman engineering physics student at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, TX. I do a little bit of everything in my spare time from my classwork: lift weights, running, basketball, football, golf, ping-pong, reading, art, writing poetry and short stories, fishing and hunting, watching movies, getting an occasional date, working at my church, and eating just about anything I can get my hands on. I'm about to start getting back into Java so that I can write programs that will check my physics homework for me. In my spare time during the summers, I go raise fruit and vegetables on my farm and tinker with antique tractors to keep them running.

That should about cover it.
December 17, 2006 3:11:33 AM

Hey, been reading longer then I've been posting but here it goes.

29, married w/ 2 kids. Manager of a computer store, like DMB for music. Playing BF2142 alot recently and Madden 07 on PS2. Been into computers for like 4 years. I will say I love Ninja's blog for the pretty ladies,

OK I am done rambling,

Peace Out.
December 17, 2006 3:19:51 AM

Quote:
http://www.aeronautics.ru/f117down.htm?
The US gov might not be happy with you, and your traceable IP.

Huh? What exactly would you expect the US government to do to him? It's not like he's revealing a state secret or anything. Besides Serbia is a sovereign state outside our jurisdiction. Not that such technicalities would deter us, but I'm sure our intelligence services and military have their hands full right now and have more important things to do than trace the communications of a dude in Belgrade expressing his opinions. :roll:
December 17, 2006 3:23:49 AM

Thanks, thats a great compliment coming from you. Maybe I will be a millionaire by 23 :)  Wouldn't be apposed to that. My book smarts come from my majors, not in the computer area though.

Quote:
The modesty that comes with old age... :p 

Beat me to it.
December 17, 2006 3:37:39 AM

Real life versus fantasy life?

I am tall, slender, the life of the party with a sharp witty sense of humor, and look better than Robert Redford. My wife still looks Miss America after 20 years of marriage and giving birth to our 7 children. And of course I have won the Nobel prize twice.

I guess that must be the fantasy version.

Real Life?

I am 40 pushing 50, short and not slender. Dull boring and the complete opposite of my fantasy life. Oh well.

I work for the family business for the past too many years. Technically I am the Vice-President of Sales and Operations. With less than 50 employees I am also the janitor when needed.

On the serious side, my background in computers dates from high school when we programmed in Basic and stored our programs on audio cassette tapes. My first computer class in college required the use of punch cards and an automatic "F" if you wrote an infinite loop in your program.

By the way, not a computer or engineering degree, and only took a second programing class. I was an accounting major.

Never worked as an "Accountant". My first job was working for a civil engineering firm during a summer break as a project auditor. With two computer classes, the ability to do basic math, basic understanding of science and the williness learn higher technical information, I was hired after graduation as a technical advisor.

Setting up spread sheets and chasing computer errors became my forte.

My first personal computer that I actually bought was an IBM PS/2, 8086 processor with 20MB HD and builtin 10" color monitor and one of those new hard floppy drives. Also had that great HP Deskjet with an optional landscape cartridge.

I bet half the viewers of this forum have never seen a landscape cartridge or even know that in the old days landscape cartridges were required.

As the VP of the family firm and with excellent computer background I am responsible for "technical" decisions in the business.

Basically I am the company IT person among my many other tasks.

Fortunately we don't need all that many computers, and what we do use don't have to be workstations.

That said, I am slowly designing my personal super computer. Something that I won't have to upgrade any time soon. And HD's big enough to handly my p_rn collection. Being VP of the family business does have it benefits. I can search for p_rn while on company time. And being the company IT person.... who is going to tell on me and to whom? Shhh, don't tell the wife.
December 17, 2006 3:41:07 AM

Quote:
http://www.aeronautics.ru/f117down.htm?
The US gov might not be happy with you, and your traceable IP.

Huh? What exactly would you expect the US government to do to him? It's not like he's revealing a state secret or anything. Besides Serbia is a sovereign state outside our jurisdiction. Not that such technicalities would deter us, but I'm sure our intelligence services and military have their hands full right now and have more important things to do than trace the communications of a dude in Belgrade expressing his opinions. :roll:

It was a JOKE.
December 17, 2006 3:41:57 AM

Quote:
Hey, been reading longer then I've been posting but here it goes.

29, married w/ 2 kids. Manager of a computer store, like DMB for music. Playing BF2142 alot recently and Madden 07 on PS2. Been into computers for like 4 years. I will say I love Ninja's blog for the pretty ladies,

OK I am done rambling,

Peace Out.

Bet your wife doesn't know.
December 17, 2006 3:48:45 AM

I will not tell your wife that you look at pern or pirn or parn or whatever p_rn is!

:wink:
December 17, 2006 3:51:49 AM

Quote:
It was a JOKE.

Yeah, right. Stop sniffing Ninja's jock. He can take care of himself.
December 17, 2006 3:52:04 AM

Put enough lead into the sky and even a blind man can get lucky and hit a flying bird.

Seriously, first one down is freak chance. Second one down in luck. Third one down is skill. Fourth one down is manufacturing defect.
December 17, 2006 3:56:27 AM

Your close to my class on the old computer tech days.
8 meg of memory would would be a down payment on a car these days.
I still have an old pentax scanner that actually still works.
all 70 pounds of it.
the 8086 was a screamer.
nothing could ever be more powerfull than that :lol: 
December 17, 2006 3:58:05 AM

Quote:
It was a JOKE.

I am not sniffing anyone's jock. I am simply stating the obvious.
December 17, 2006 4:06:42 AM

Quote:
Your close to my class on the old computer tech days.

Remember our Screen Savers?

My PS/2 came with a Screen Saving software package. I would spend "hours" programming and reprogramming the settings.

I had a neighbor littel kid (who went onto Georgia Tech and got an EE) that would come over the house to watch me program my screen saver.

Oh how things have changed.
December 17, 2006 4:07:10 AM

Quote:
It was a JOKE.

I am not sniffing anyone's jock. I am simply stating the obvious.
Serbianboy didn't think it was a joke. He left.
December 17, 2006 4:07:47 AM

I was either not alive or crawling around looking for my rattle at that point:p 
December 17, 2006 4:08:16 AM

Quote:
I will not tell your wife that you look at pern or pirn or parn or whatever p_rn is!

:wink:

I think it is spelled purn, but I was not sure so I left out that all important vowel.
December 17, 2006 4:09:45 AM

my favorite was afterdark.
windows 3.11 was a gift from the gods
December 17, 2006 4:17:46 AM

I remember afterdark. It has the flying toasters and that motorcycle stunt guy. My favorite was the trivia one you could play. Getting smashed by the hammer was so much fun.
December 17, 2006 4:23:27 AM

Quote:
No, I am not proud! I am very dissatisfied because i like new tehnologies. Make a airplane invisible is great idea. If you ask me - i will give the Nobel price to man who invented that.

Well, you can award it as Serbia is much closer to the mans home than the states are.
His name is Pyotr Ufimtsev, he is a Russian Mathmatician, or was as he very well may be deceased by now. His work was expanded on by Lockheed mathmatician Bill Schroeder, to become the basis for the F117's design.
December 17, 2006 4:24:55 AM

im going to college

going to hopefully open my own gaming Cafe

-i like indie music

im a health nut, i like to eat healthy, becuase i dont exercise

and i work at Geek Squad

-green tea rocks

December 17, 2006 4:25:39 AM

If someone told me I'm 45682x smarter than they are, I'd say "Damn right, that."

But then again, I'm only 17.
December 17, 2006 4:29:36 AM

Quote:
If someone told me I'm 45682x smarter than they are, I'd say "Damn right, that."

Therefore it will not happen for at least 21 years.

Jack: I noticed you don't post as much lately as you often have, you still hang around though? I know I haven't seen wusy very much possibly due to his frustration with the forums and time constraints.
December 17, 2006 4:33:50 AM

I stop by from time to time to see who is on top AMD or INTEL, ATI or Nvidia. 51 yrs. old. The battles continue........................HACK

Well nothing has changed much. 1. Gee my fan isnt big enough.
2. Gee my fan has stopped.
3. Gee my fan burned up.
4. Gee where is my fan?
5. Gee do I need a new fan?

and on, and on........................................................
December 17, 2006 4:38:48 AM

Quote:
I stop by from time to time to see who is on top AMD or INTEL, ATI or Nvidia. 51 yrs. old. The battles continue........................HACK

Finally
someone older than me
I felt like grampa for awhile :lol: 
December 17, 2006 4:43:26 AM

My grandpa just learned email...
December 17, 2006 4:46:19 AM

be carefull.
you could have created a monster
December 17, 2006 4:52:15 AM

Quote:

Therefore it will not happen for at least 21 years.

Jack: I noticed you don't post as much lately as you often have, you still hang around though? I know I haven't seen wusy very much possibly due to his frustration with the forums and time constraints.Wusy's busy with his studies.
a c 87 à CPUs
December 17, 2006 4:52:42 AM

Wasn't sure I'd do this, but what the hell...

27yo, married, two munchkins (both boys). Live in northern cali where I got my BS degree from a certain famous former *#1* school. Degree is in Acct/MIS. MIS gave me what I know of computer programing. (enough to know I don't want to do that.) Classes were in VB, HTML, JAVA, and the one I do love, SQL. (I absulotly love debugging oracle scripts, I wish I could have a job doing that...)

My dad ran his own tax office, and upgraded his machines every year or so. The oldest ones came home, where I got to tinker with them. I am the only 9yo that I know of who replaced his 286 motherboard with a new 386 one. (the 286 was my first one.) I've played on 286s, 386, 486, p120s, PII233, K6-2, K7, P3, etc. My dad was a gaming nut earlier in his life, and I've played games on his Coleco vision, Intelevision, C64, Amiga. Due to growing up playing on the C64, I have 3 emulators on my machine. (Lords of conquest, M.U.L.E., and Spacetrader are awesome games.)

I picked up my sig after watching a thread go bad in the other forum I talk on. I decided that although it might not be popular, not everyone needs to be riding the edge of technology. There is nothing wrong with hanging back and waiting for bugs to get removed before jumping on the band wagon. Some people might call me an idiot, but thankful I realise that I don't need these people to like me. I just hope that my point is reached by the person/people who need to here it.
December 17, 2006 5:09:06 AM

I can understand that. That is what I meant by the time constraints portion of the post. Hopefully once he is less busy and has time for Tom's again he will have the desire to be here again and not feel obligated.
December 17, 2006 5:23:31 AM

Quote:
Maybe when you get out of college, get a civilian engineering job for Lockheed, submit some TCTO's to the Air Force and fix all the damn problems the Raptor is having. Great theory, bad implentation so far. But like the rest of them, I am sure they will eventually get it ironed out.

Hey, I worked on the Raptor windscreen a few years ago and fixed some problems! Amazing tech, no wonder they have struggled with it. I'm trained as a chemist but have spent most of my career doing materials science. Lots of polymeric materials research, image processing and image analysis. I worked in the electronic materials business for five years to develop dielectric materials and polymeric LEDs. That was a blast. I'm so old, I have a social security number with only four digits in it. I got into computers to interface them to in-house-developed instrumentation back in the dark ages of automation. I've used them as tools in the workplace for a long time but my interest got rekindled when my kids needed more graphics power for gameing. I've done a bunch of thermal management development for reaction vessels, polymer curing research, accelerated aging studies, you name it and enjoy fiddling with cooling technology. I've been into the recording tech side of music for a while and want to upgrade the home studio soon because the kids are developing a decent rock/folk/blues band and we need to make some demos. Supporting their interests cuts way into the time I have for mine but at least life isn't boring!
December 17, 2006 5:29:39 AM

Quote:
My grandpa just learned email...

I got my dad into the Internet when he was in his mid-60s. He's all over computer stuff now and probably spends 4 to 8 hours a day online. He's made a ton of friends and it makes him happy. He's way into music and for his Christmas present this year, I got him a 250GB external HD, put 200GB of MP3 tunes on it and put it on his PC. I gave it to him at Thanksgiving and he's having a blast with it. I get a couple of emails a week about stuff he's discovered. I told him to delete what he doesn't like and I'll fill in from the TB or so I have in reserve.
December 17, 2006 5:33:20 AM

I actually did the same for my dad. He loves photography and is just getting into digital. I got him a 250GB (internal) drive and loaded it with Pink Floyd and some sweet digitals I had on my PC. I bought the Pink Floyd "Pulse" DVD and it is amazingly well put together, looks sweet on my screen :)  He wants to come to my school and watch it on here lol.
December 17, 2006 5:47:37 AM

Quote:
I actually did the same for my dad. He loves photography and is just getting into digital. I got him a 250GB (internal) drive and loaded it with Pink Floyd and some sweet digitals I had on my PC. I bought the Pink Floyd "Pulse" DVD and it is amazingly well put together, looks sweet on my screen :)  He wants to come to my school and watch it on here lol.

Yea, old dogs really can learn new tricks.
December 17, 2006 6:26:14 AM

35, Wife with 3 step kids, Security System Integrator and company owner for 12 years from 8 zone panels to Face Detection System. I love tinkering with electronics since 10 when father help me build my first 3 way speaker system.

I can't remember much of my first computer build but if someone remember the 32 sockets for 32 RAM with 6 sockets for ROM with 14.7 MHz vacuum tube display internal clock generator (this is before the PC XT or maybe the same I think?). With Norton DOS 5.5 on Double Density Floppy Disc and No Hard drive.

No PhD. just 1 yr of Electrical and 1 year Civil Engineering and 2 and half years Computer Technician graduate. English is not my native language and now I live in Canada.
December 17, 2006 7:11:55 AM

You still here 8O
us old people need our sleep.
good night :wink:
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2006 7:47:46 AM

Computers by day, ladies by night - who gives a fcuk bout your AMDs Baron, i got ladies ;) 

I work in a small computer store, im 20. When they employed me they they said they'd teach me things, i ended up teaching them the ways, works too easy. Before i was there THEY DIDNT EVEN SELL AMD's, if anyone dare call me a fanboy, you can eat my foot.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2006 7:54:58 AM

Quote:
You still here 8O

I am about to go to bed --- I just purchased and installed an EVGA 8800GTX --- Quake 3 Arena 700 FPS, at 1600X1200, about 680 FPS at 2048x1536. It is insanely fast.... woowwwser. :) 

i was checking the benchmarks, my 7900GT vs the 8800GTX and in the THG benchmarks it didnt show much of a leap to me atleast in there selection at 1024x768, but ill wait to see what all the fuss is bout this new ATi card comin out - ill either get one of them or a 2nd gen geforce 8, im usually a nvidia person tbh.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2006 7:58:40 AM

I'm 53, a propellor head and a sailor. My computer's primary mission is Flight Simularor X, and I live aboard my sailboat in Fort Lauderdale. I'm a licensed Captain, a veteran Naval Aviator, and a Medical Imaging Engineer.

I specialize in MRI and CT Scanners, and troubleshoot a wide variety of hardware, including Silicon Graphics computers, Sun Micro's, and PC's. I build, overclock and modify computers for my family and friends.
December 17, 2006 1:03:03 PM

Forgot to tell what I do for a living.

LAW ENFORCEMENT 35 YRS.

SO WATCH YOUR SPEED ON THESE FORUMS..........................HACK
December 17, 2006 1:47:40 PM

Quote:
You still here 8O

I am about to go to bed --- I just purchased and installed an EVGA 8800GTX --- Quake 3 Arena 700 FPS, at 1600X1200, about 680 FPS at 2048x1536. It is insanely fast.... woowwwser. :) 

that new gpu probably has too much power for you, since your
pushin 40 :lol:  . you might as well give to me.

oh wait im also pushin 40 8O , nevermind :lol: 
December 17, 2006 1:50:50 PM

Quote:
I'm a propellor head and a sailor. My computer's primary mission is Flight Simularor X, and I live aboard my sailboat in Fort Lauderdale. I'm a licensed Captain, a veteran Naval Aviator, and a Medical Imaging Engineer.

I specialize in MRI and CT Scanners, and troubleshoot a wide variety of hardware, including Silicon Graphics computers, Sun Micro's, and PC's. I build, overclock and modify computers for my family and friends.

i'm 16 with good vision. i'm not too keen about killing people. what are my chances of ever flying a jet? like a fighter? slim to none? jeeze thats a life goal of mine. what kinda stuff did you get to fly in the navy?
December 17, 2006 2:04:27 PM

I'm 55 years old, trained as a computer electrician by the USAF, which means I know a few things, but not a lot. Got any 20 year old computers around? I did a few other things in the Air Force, getting into recon and Aerospace Audio Visual. For fun, I used to race cars on weekends, fly something other than jets, and worked as an ambulance medic when off regular duty.

I left the Air Force the hard way with a medical retirement, took up sailing as a way to get rid of tension, and later got in with personal computers. Had to do something since I flunked my flight physical and lost the ability to race cars, fly planes, etc. My ex-wife left 17 years ago with a guy she met at work, so I raised our kid. He's a senior in college studying economics and getting a cpa. Now I dink around with computers, play games a bit, and overclock for fun and excitement.
December 17, 2006 2:11:47 PM

I'm glad you put this topic up.....I work for southeastern freightlines and I'm a floater....I work in the office and in the field. I'm 35 years old and some of my hobbies include riding my 200mph machine called a Hayabusa....I'm an avid boater....I have lots of guns and enjoy shooting at the range....My last hobby is computers.....I've been tinkering with them ever since they came out....My favorite memory was the Commodore 64.......wow that was awesome in that day...... :lol:  Funny how time changes

Oh and for the best part of me......I have a pain in the neck wife.....3 dogs....a 20lb cat too.....

Happy holidays to all and Have a happy new year

I don't get to post much due to being busy all the time
December 17, 2006 2:22:32 PM

Quote:
My computer's primary mission is Flight Simularor X

thats what my computer is for, but with a 6800gt and the
resolutions and settings i like to play at,
well lets just say im playing at just over stall speed or
mustering about a half a knot :lol: 
!