December 18, 2006 12:27:08 PM

Quote:
I say, Sticky it!
anyone agree?

*nods in approval*

I agree, it's a nice topic
a c 123 à CPUs
December 18, 2006 1:00:33 PM

I too remember "Landscape" cartridges, and trying to come up with Printer Action Tables for the HP Laserjet; and Sheetfeeder Action Tables...

I'm 47. I've been doing user support of one kind or another (I include LAN and E-Mail admin as user support) since '84. I'm a lapsed CNE, which I got by doing it, not classes. I've done some consulting, but am not aggressive enough for it I think. I built enough generic boxes to have tired of it for a few years, but returned to the fold about a year ago when I wanted to build something decent for myself and started reading this forum. I've learned a lot here, I suspect most specifically from Cleeve, but generally from lots of people.

Watch out for the Georgia Bulldogs, they have a nasty habit of coming from behind. I graduated from Georgia Tech in '83.

I'm engaged to a Beautiful lady who doesn't seem to mind my probably 20-30 hour per week Guild Wars habit; she likes to crochet, sew and do other crafts, and we both research topics of interest online, so we're pretty well set for hobbies. We eat healthy foods (almost all of which she prepares), and are in decent shape. We have no monkeys, just two cats.
December 18, 2006 2:30:22 PM

I forgot to mention: I used to be a very frequent poster here; sometimes getting 50+ posts in one day. I have, however, recently tired of posting here, and because of high school's increased workload, tried to generally spend less time on my comptuer and more time doing homework and other things. I am very easily distracted; whenever I am doing work on my computer, I end up playing a game or surfing the web.
Related resources
December 18, 2006 2:31:22 PM

Ducky, whats up man. its been a while....
December 18, 2006 2:37:52 PM

Quote:
Ducky, whats up man. its been a while....

I'm trying to kick the habit of posting here. Computers in general and especially internet are a great distraction to me. It's like a drug; if I come home from school and my computer is on, I naturally sit down, log on, and it all goes downhill from there.

I got the day off of school because idiot (*cough* holy person *cough*) had the great sense to let the air out of the tires of all the school buses parked in the lot. I am eternally in their gratitude. So now I'm going to waste my day here and playing games rather than cleaning my room, folding my clothes, and catching up on some stuff for my programming class.
December 18, 2006 2:39:59 PM

You should probably at least fold your clothes and clean your room first. Just a bit of advise.
December 18, 2006 3:03:56 PM

Quote:
Cool site Boduke. I am clearly a large tool fan :D  and I read your review. I agree there is massive hype going to see them live, but to me it sounds like you unfortunately had to see them at a venue not fit for their atmosphere. I have been to 4 shows in 4 different venues and all I can say is the difference is night and day. I went to the Minneapolish show at the Orpheum (2,300 seat opera theater built in late 1800s I would guess) and it really was the "religious experience" one comes to expect by reading reviews. A show like that can change you, and that is coming from an avid concert goer. I also saw them at the Excel Energy Center (MN Wild hockey arena) and we were far away, and the atmosphere slowly dies the further you go back.

Good review, hope you get to see a better show sometime! Sorry to threadjack, if only for a moment.

/rehijack :) 

I could have seen them at the Paramount here in Seattle (3000 or so seats I think) but I wasn't going to pay $66.00 a ticket for me and my two boys to go. (Tool fans all of us!) They're coming back through I believe in '07 and I'm hoping to see them again. The downside is I actually had requested months in advance the chance to interview Danny Carey and get some onstage shots of his kits and once the emails hit their management, they just ignored me. It was a great show tho, and one of the top 5 I've ever seen - and I've seen a ton of shows... ;) 

/end hijack
December 18, 2006 4:47:44 PM

Quote:
You should probably at least fold your clothes and clean your room first. Just a bit of advise.

I have some advice for you: LERN 2 INGLISH!
December 18, 2006 5:10:17 PM

54 year old mortgage banker with not one iota of computer training. who refuses to grow up. Been building/fixing/upgrading since my last store-bought Packard Bell P100 that included my very own copy of Windows 3.11. RPG and FPS gamer who usually starts mucking about the innards or doing new builds when the latest games no longer play well on whatever I am running at the time. Most recent build inspired by Doom 3 with upgrades courtesy of Oblivion. Anticipated next build about 2 weeks prior to Crysis or Hellgate London release (whichever comes first. Nothing quite like the satisfaction of spending a few grand or so to play a $50 game. (Painful sarcasm there, but hey, I'm still pissed about Ultima 5)
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2006 5:25:55 PM

Nice post.
Long read but good and somewhat suprising who some of us are.

Names Ted, 23 years old. Hailing from Walled Lake, Michigan. Not that easy to miss at 6'2" and 180lb, I try to keep it all in shape.

Been surfing THG since the late 90's. Finaly got around to posting not to long ago.

My biggest hobby is computer hardware. Loved it ever since my good old Pakard Bell 486SX 25. Built my first at 12.
Cyrix 166, 32Mb EDO and a S3 Virge DX 8)
I try to keep up with current hardware but can only afford to upgrade every 2-3 Years (stuped bills)

With Michigan's economy as f'ed as it is, I do what ever it takes to keep the heat on and food in my fridge. In the past few years I have done everything from fast food, sales, manual labour and driving truck. Right now my cousin and I own a auto shop and I am trying to save up enough cash to get into school.

Durring the summer, you can usualy find me on my YZF R1.
Ain't nothin like blowin bye cops at 180+ Mph :D 

The rest of the time I am either killing my few remaining brain cells with my collage friends, or working/gaming on my computer.
December 18, 2006 6:07:50 PM

/final hijack :p 
Linked through Maynard this is somewhat Tool related. I met Billy Howerdel of A Perfect Circle at Home Depot in Minnetonka, MN. I had just gotten surgery to (re)install a couple bottom front teeth so my mouth was entirely numb and I was drinking a large chocolate shake for dinner (which was all over my shirt and face unknown to myself) but I was just following my mom around as she looked at water heaters and I saw him talking to an employee about a water heater.

I kinda walked by and acknowledged him and he nodded and when the employee walked away he came over and shook my hand and asked what happened to my mouth. I told him the best my speech would allow and he laughed and told me he had a small house on Lake Minnetonka and while he was away his water heater ravaged his basement. I mentioned my aunt was a real estate agent on the lake and he asked for her name and # so I gave it to him. He said a friend of his was looking for a place like his and he may just have to give her a call. He thanked me for the number and for approaching him politely and said he hopes my mouth gets better and that was that. Really cool experience. Aunt hasn't heard anything from him yet, but who knows. Maybe Maynard is looking for a getaway home on the lake :D .

/finalhijack ended
December 18, 2006 6:10:19 PM

The name is joshua. Im 17. In computer class right now. Thinking of opening a custom pc build shop and maybe working for Intel as a career.
Im a gameaholic always on Wow, wc3, bf2, bf2142. And i enjoy reading the forums.
December 18, 2006 6:21:50 PM

I am a man who values his privacy, and is addicted to World of Warcraft.
December 18, 2006 6:38:49 PM

Advice, advise..... meh. Calling people on minor spelling mistakes is pedantic at best.
December 18, 2006 6:45:58 PM

i couldn't agree more
(tomorrow exam English :? )
December 18, 2006 6:57:27 PM

Quote:
Advice, advise..... meh. Calling people on minor spelling mistakes is pedantic at best.
Wot? :D 
a c 471 à CPUs
December 18, 2006 7:21:40 PM

An empty shell with no substance.
December 18, 2006 8:07:59 PM

Quote:
Her name is Alice, shes about ~4' 6"ish and she loves computer gaming....no joke.

Woot..... go Alice!
Edit: messed up the qoute.
December 18, 2006 8:24:54 PM

I'm an anti-social misanthrope, depressed with life, but at least my PC listens to me as does my cat. 28yrs old and time is draggin'
I've discovered the meaning of life; 42. And everybody, everywhere, deep down is an arsehole. Including me.
I've found that IT doesn't make you a hit with the ladies. Who'd a' thought it?
Used to race Formula Vee, might do so again if I find the will to live.
I was a mechanic for a while, did mecheng in college and just bought a '97 Mini Cooper. Note to all: Buy one now.
Currently, I work for the most unappreciative company in the world fitting handsfree kits in cars, and have issued a Fatwa on the person who designed the Hummer H2. He must pay.

As for PC's my first was a 386SX-25 (still have it) and I'm on a 64 X2 4600 now with a 6800GS. Learned IT by doing, and regret not doing it professionally. Was a master of creating config.sys and autoexec.bat files to get various games running. Remember them? and how great DOS4/GW was when it appeared? I once tried to get 620K base RAM to get Overlord (flight sim) running in SVGA with a VESA driver and mouse driver, and I still regret that it beat me.
Big racing sim fan and often play flight sims and 3D shooters. Live in Ireland, where broadband is a new-fangled doo-dah. My supplier's wireless bridges are confused by the wind, rain, humidity, air, distance, and (theoretical) dark matter between them, so I seldom get more than 80kb to use. This week it's been more like 10. I resent having to keep a modem handy.
December 18, 2006 8:25:31 PM

Smalltown newspaper editor, community of about 5,000 not too far from Atlanta, Georgia. Age 39, engaged. Computer system builder as a hobby, for friends and family, mostly.

I spend most of my time lurking here and only login if I feel I have something to add to the conversation, i.e., someone has a computer problem similar to something I've fixed before or has a question about a system with components that I have used in a build.
December 18, 2006 9:03:41 PM

I am 22, architecture student, but my dream is car design,... who knows! In the past have studied electronics and self taught programming and 3D modelling.
A bit complicated to think of my path but I started as a programmer, then got interested in games and started working on one. Didn't finish the game but when I gave up, I knew enough modelling and rendering to think about architecture as my university 'sport'.
My first PC was a not so exciting Celeron 333 in 1999, then a Celeron 2G in 2003, then this 3000+ six months ago.
P.S: Here are some of my design works:
frewebs.com/multid
December 18, 2006 9:23:26 PM

Quote:

Its no worse than you telling someone over the internet to learn how to fold cloths and clean their room :roll:

Quote:
December 18, 2006 9:50:42 PM

Any thing else you want to get off your chest? You seem like a angry individual. Have you given thought to trying jasmine tea?
December 18, 2006 9:53:20 PM

I thought that ginesing tea would do that... and coupious amounts for him.
December 18, 2006 9:54:00 PM

Possibly there isn't enough tea in the world Ninja...
December 18, 2006 9:56:37 PM

The thread is a good thread in my humble opinion. The troll, I can not stand.

Edit: You finally added the bar to your sig. Nice :D 
December 18, 2006 9:58:24 PM

Quote:
Any thing else you want to get off your chest? You seem like a angry individual. Have you given thought to trying jasmine tea?

he does seem full of anger.
December 18, 2006 10:00:06 PM

Quote:
Still.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the BOTW on your Blog. You're late. Again.

Mou. Dario supposed to post it this week go bother him about it. :oops: 
December 18, 2006 10:07:54 PM

Ano... its the truth... :oops:  :oops: 
December 18, 2006 10:12:12 PM

:cries: I'll go do it....
December 18, 2006 10:24:54 PM

Hey, just now you're reading 8888 posts; congrats!
December 18, 2006 10:28:33 PM

Now he'll never post again to keep that count :lol:  .

Edit: Awww...man.
December 18, 2006 10:29:50 PM

Hah.. you feel pain just as I did moments ago... go check.
December 18, 2006 10:42:06 PM

I am a grouchy 88-year old geezer, who has forgotten more than you'll ever know.
December 18, 2006 10:56:11 PM

Nothing, and the joke would be gone if I explained it anyways....
December 18, 2006 10:58:28 PM

Quote:

hmm , I assume you still remember me ? :idea:
December 18, 2006 10:59:38 PM

Quote:

Its no worse than you telling someone over the internet to learn how to fold cloths and clean their room :roll:

Quote:

Dont try and down play it you cocky prick by highlighting the part where you said (Should probably at least)

Either way you look at it your still a bitch for saying that to someone you dont even know over the internet.

You should probably stop being an arrogant prick and stop acting like peoples dad over the internet. Just a bit of advice.

Speaking of "arrogant" and "cocky" and "prick" and "bitch", take a look in the mirror. Like what you see?

And who, exactly, are you to speak as you did? Where do you get off doing so?

Get a grip and grow up. I'm sure your parents made an effort to teach you manners and civility. Honour them by applying these concepts in reality. Otherwise, go back under your rock until you can behave in mature and civil manner.
December 18, 2006 11:01:39 PM

Quote:

No, refresh my memory if you please....
December 18, 2006 11:04:27 PM

Quote:

I will let you remember the occasion in which you directed a "traceable IP" phrase to me !
December 18, 2006 11:14:25 PM

Quote:

I will let you remember the occasion in which you directed a "traceable IP" phrase to me !
I apologize if I offended you, if thats what you want, but no... I still can't remember you.
December 18, 2006 11:22:35 PM

Quote:

I apologize if I offended you, if thats what you want, but no... I still can't remember you.

Nope ! I didn't take any offense that time .. I will just remind you with this qoute of yours :

Quote:
Speak when spoken to. That wasn't aimed at you.

did that ring a bell ?
December 18, 2006 11:24:31 PM

Oh... on that moron that asked about how to commit an act of fraud's thread
December 18, 2006 11:26:34 PM

Quote:

hmm , YES .. you seem to forget very fast !
December 18, 2006 11:29:59 PM

Quote:

I had no reason to remember.
December 18, 2006 11:32:09 PM

Quote:

I had no reason to remember.

Emm , I should take that as a fact that you always go in debates like this ? :) 
December 18, 2006 11:34:33 PM

Quote:
Emm , I should take that as a fact that you always go in debates like this ? :) 

Maybe.... *Evasive*
December 18, 2006 11:58:40 PM

you cannot evade my fly paper net surrounding your living quarters...
December 19, 2006 12:05:15 AM

That doesn't work well when your target isn't at home *Escapes once again*
!