Weird and ANNOYING Internet Problem

Hitman84

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
My internet has been cutting out on me lately. The weird thing is anything thats already running that REQUIRES the net works fine.

Example Being.
I'm Playing World of Warcraft with no problems what soever. I alt tab out to pull up thottbot.com or ala or some other site and it wont work. AOL won't connect and any messaging services wont connect. but anything already connected is FINE. I close the game and IT won't reconnect. Reset the router/modem and now stuck for about 5-10 minutes with no internet at all. but again, anything already connected is working fine.

The other thing is it's only my computer. The PC in the other room is fine and so are the PC's up stairs.

riser

Illustrious
You'll have to contact your ISP on this one after you do standard troubleshooting.

When it won't connect, are you able to ping out past your router? Ping a website.

If you can, it's probably an ISP issue and not something with your own computer.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to make sure you have a recent version of your router's firmware (granted, you are using a router).

Goronok

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
I am having the EXACT same problem with my new MSI Notebook. (I have had it for 2 months now, first month I had no issues.. the problem has just recently shown up) I also play World of Warcraft and experience the same issue your describing, although this problem occurs regardless of what Im doing. I'll be playing WoW and be on Ventrilo talking to people just fine, if I tab out to open a browser, most times I'll get nothing. (This page cannot be displayed) If I disconnect from Ventrilo or WoW at this point, I will be unable to reconnect until the computer feels like firing up the internet again.

It's not my ISP, as this happens at work, home, anywhere really. Also, I've put my Mini-PCI 2200BG wireless card in a friend laptop, and he doesn't have the same problem at all. Also, Operating systems don't seem to be the issue, as I have run Windows XP and Vista Beta 2 and had the same exact issue.

I'm pretty sure it has to be a hardware issue of some sort, either that or the Wireless card driver itself. (I'm using the recommended Intel Wireless 2200BG driver and have tried different versions) I'm at a complete loss as to what is wrong.. and this problem is annoying as HELL. Does anyone have any thought as to what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Your LT is not overheating is it ????

This may be a shot in the dark.

I have found more an more sites that are requiring a smaller MTU. Adjust to 1400 and see it it helps.