Step 3: Claim innovation
Step 4: Profit?
Score
March 5, 2013 10:16:51 PM

Typical.
Score
Related resources
March 5, 2013 10:17:10 PM

So basically nothing changes? This iPhone has had the same damn interface, features etc for the past couple years. This is annoying as hell now and is the sole reason as to why i'm grabbing a Galaxy S4.

So damn unimaginative.
Score
March 5, 2013 10:21:00 PM

htc one X, here I come!
Score
March 5, 2013 10:28:32 PM

Quote:
The iPhone 5 features Apple's own custom built A6 chipset with a 1.2GHz dual-core CPU...

So is it built or designed? I was not aware of Apple manufacturing their own SoC.
Score
March 5, 2013 10:55:44 PM

assuming a modern day phone isnt fast enough, i really dont see the point of upgrading unless you are a isheep
Score
March 5, 2013 11:10:16 PM

happyballzSo is it built or designed? t aware of Apple manufacturing their own SoC.

It doesn't say that Apple manufactured their own processors. But Apple absolutely had a very large internal ARM processor design teams. They even acquired an entire arm design company back when the original iPhone was being designed. Apple designs the processor, then they source a manufacturing entity to crank them out. But the actual chip design resources with Apple.
Score
March 5, 2013 11:10:57 PM

Quote:
Apple's rumored to be unveiling a new in just six months' time.

"a new..." what? The editing on this site is deteriorating.
Score
March 5, 2013 11:19:15 PM

You can replace iP5>iP5S with iP3g>iP3GS, or iP4>iP4S, same stuff again...

This is getting repetitive, boring, uninspired, and so on.

Oh, surely it will come with some iOS upgrade (same old boring tired looks and functionality, though) that will be an exclusive to that model, even if the rest of iPhones will be getting the new iOS logo... and that's about it. And fans will rave about how unified iOS is.
LMFAO.
Score
March 5, 2013 11:27:12 PM

It's cool that the source of this article is Tom's Hardware LOL.

It's already been a year since the last iPhone? Weird, feels like it's been a couple weeks. Meh, it's going to look exactly like the iPhone 5 and probably have like one "big" update like more megapixels camera and then a smaller one like a new iOS version that is iPhone 5S exclusive for a couple months or something stupid like that.
Score
Anonymous
March 5, 2013 11:57:43 PM

I bet a month's pay it looks no different then the 5. Waiting on the Galaxy Note 3 around then. 6.3 inch screen 1920 x 1080p, 4 gb ram, 13mp camera 2ghz quad core. Yeh I want a 5S lol.
Score
March 6, 2013 12:09:23 AM

There's a reason why apple stocks are going down (below $400?) and the likes of Samsung and Google are going up. Their uninspiring rehashes and CEO are a couple of suggestions.
Score
March 6, 2013 12:42:34 AM

Do apple owners realise that the android crowd chuckles everytime they see someone use an iphone ?
Score
March 6, 2013 12:58:25 AM

fuzzion said:
Do apple owners realise that the android crowd chuckles everytime they see someone use an iphone ?

well do android users realize when they see a android, they chuckle?
Score
March 6, 2013 2:05:01 AM

I have completely lost interest in the iphone. I must admit I never saw that coming. I hope one day they introduce another phone that's at least interesting.
Score
March 6, 2013 2:37:19 AM

^I think you may be better served by the Nexus 10.
Score
March 6, 2013 2:42:35 AM

I'm betting they will get back to the "Summer" release schedule, so they can lock in "Back to School" kids. Since the current schedule is tailored more towards the Holiday sales, this might get them a bit more sales than waiting for the Holiday crowds.
Score
March 6, 2013 3:45:39 AM

What are they gonna change, the color hahaha?
Score
March 6, 2013 4:13:49 AM

sacreSo basically nothing changes? This iPhone has had the same damn interface, features etc for the past couple years. This is annoying as hell now and is the sole reason as to why i'm grabbing a Galaxy S4. So damn unimaginative.

Careful, the 4 is old news. Shouldn't be long till the Galaxy 5 is announced.
Score
March 6, 2013 4:16:03 AM

Same iphone home screen from 2006 coming in 2013 woooooooo!!! mmm sarcasim
Score
March 6, 2013 4:22:14 AM

This phone will look so pathetic when placed in the shadow of the Galaxy S4!
Score
March 6, 2013 5:23:12 AM

Report: April due one month after March

Just seems a bit obvious at this point.
Score
March 6, 2013 5:37:03 AM

tiretThis phone will look so pathetic when placed in the shadow of the Galaxy S4!

To me the S4 looks just like the S3, but I'm not going to take the piss out of you because of this. I guess Samsung like Apple have finally stumbled on a form factor that works for them and suck to it. Many iPhone customers don't want a drastic change in design as some will argue its the best looking phone on the market. A new CPU and GPU is a big deal in the world of Apple. Keeping ahead of devices with double the ram and 50% higher clock speeds in the Open GL benchmarks is really what Apple does best. Their CPU's are simply better than the opposition at the same clock speed.
Score
March 6, 2013 5:44:34 AM

Au_equusThere's a reason why apple stocks are going down (below $400?) and the likes of Samsung and Google are going up. Their uninspiring rehashes and CEO are a couple of suggestions.

I laugh at you with your tablet wannabe! While your struggling to get 30fps in Real Racing 3 rendering pixels you can't even see I will be running at a smooth 60fps with high detail, reflections and shadows... Seriously, what is the point of such high DPI? I've just bought a 11.6" Windows 8 tablet running the same resolution and in Desktop mode it's overkill as everything is too small! I can understand why a 10" tablet would need this kind of resolution, but not a 5-6" phone, not when it's at the expense of render quality and speed.
Score
March 6, 2013 6:38:03 AM

Unless they bring the price down from what the 5 costs now there is really no point in upgrading to the 5s. The 4s is good enough for now unless ios 7 requires more computing power but considering the 3GS can run ios 6 I doubt that will be likely.
Score
March 6, 2013 7:30:49 AM

Please make it with new power connector, I want to charge with even more style.
Score
March 6, 2013 8:49:49 AM

Apple really needs to consider a new product. Even the ipad mini was made because they had nothing better to release.
Score
March 6, 2013 11:29:37 AM

Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice... Samsung and friends are rejoicing over this release as it will reassure them that they sell even more mobiles devices.
Score
March 6, 2013 11:30:49 AM

The added 'S' will be an upgrade that Siri will now respond to giggling and belching.
Score
March 6, 2013 11:39:48 AM

pacomacTo me the S4 looks just like the S3, but I'm not going to take the piss out of you because of this. I guess Samsung like Apple have finally stumbled on a form factor that works for them and suck to it. Many iPhone customers don't want a drastic change in design as some will argue its the best looking phone on the market. A new CPU and GPU is a big deal in the world of Apple. Keeping ahead of devices with double the ram and 50% higher clock speeds in the Open GL benchmarks is really what Apple does best. Their CPU's are simply better than the opposition at the same clock speed.
Pfft. My Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 can give an iPad (3? Retina? whatever) a run for it's money in speed and responsiveness. I'll agree with you on the OpenGL though, Apple's kit is undeniably rather nippy in the graphics department. If I played games on my tablet I'd probably care or something. As it is, games seem to run great on this old thing anyway.

As for the CPU... you do realise their design is not dissimilar to every other ARM-based phone on the market? Albeit with a bit of rummaging around to change some things (which most high-end SoC developers do these days) there really isn't much to differentiate them. If there are tangible performance differences where the processors are concerned, they would be primarily due to software.
Score
March 6, 2013 2:46:56 PM

They are going to need to make some drastic changes soon, the competition has caught up, having the same UI for so many years and basically almost the same design can only work for so long eventually they will start losing users in significant numbers, if they want to retain a position of dominance they will have to make sure the iPhone 6 is truly innovative.
Score
March 8, 2013 4:49:49 AM

I'm curious as hell how long Apple can kep this up.
Score
March 8, 2013 8:29:28 AM

Dear Jane, in the first line's "Apple's rumored to be unveiling a new in just six months' time." shouldn't new be capitalized if it's meant as a noun or be followed by a noun if it's not? I know being intelligent and attractive can be a tiring combo and can lead to such oversights.
Score
!