Wav files but no midis

I've got a new PC. It has Nero 6 installed on it. I double click on a Wav
file and it will automatically play fine with Windows MPlayer. But if I
click a midi file, although media player opens and the slide bar moves as if
it was playing, no sound comes out.

When I put in an Audio CD, CD Player opens, which I want but again, although
it looks as if it is playing, there is no sound.

I can only get sound if I run the cd with Nero ShowTime, but I far prefer CD
Player.

Any suggestions what could be wrong and how to put it right?

File Associations are correct, Wav files play fine, just no midi at all, and
only CD Audio with Nero Showtime.
Evi

"Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> I've got a new PC. It has Nero 6 installed on it. I double click
> on a Wav file and it will automatically play fine with Windows
> MPlayer. But if I click a midi file, although media player opens
> and the slide bar moves as if it was playing, no sound comes out.
>
> When I put in an Audio CD, CD Player opens, which I want but
> again, although it looks as if it is playing, there is no sound.
>
> I can only get sound if I run the cd with Nero ShowTime, but I far
> prefer CD Player.
>
> Any suggestions what could be wrong and how to put it right?
>
> File Associations are correct, Wav files play fine, just no midi
> at all, and only CD Audio with Nero Showtime.
> Evi

Double-click on the volume control in your system tray. The volume
control for Midi files is the slider labeled "SW Synth". My guess is
that it is either all the way down or Muted.

HTH,
John

> "Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> > I've got a new PC. It has Nero 6 installed on it. I double click
> > on a Wav file and it will automatically play fine with Windows
> > MPlayer. But if I click a midi file, although media player opens
> > and the slide bar moves as if it was playing, no sound comes out.
> >
> > When I put in an Audio CD, CD Player opens, which I want but
> > again, although it looks as if it is playing, there is no sound.
> >
> > I can only get sound if I run the cd with Nero ShowTime, but I far
> > prefer CD Player.
> >
> > Any suggestions what could be wrong and how to put it right?
> >
> > File Associations are correct, Wav files play fine, just no midi
> > at all, and only CD Audio with Nero Showtime.
> > Evi
>
> Double-click on the volume control in your system tray. The volume
> control for Midi files is the slider labeled "SW Synth". My guess is
> that it is either all the way down or Muted.
>
> HTH,
> John

Thanks for the suggestion John but SW Synth is neither down or muted.
Anyone got any more suggestions?
Evi

"Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:TvpYd.4544$7r6.1395@newsfe5-
gui.ntli.net:

> Thanks for the suggestion John but SW Synth is neither down or muted.
> Anyone got any more suggestions?
> Evi

Go to the control panel and look for either a "Multimedia" or "Sounds &
Audio Devices" control panel (or something close -- I'm not at a W2K
machine now). Check the Midi tab or Audio tab and make sure there is a
synthesizer loaded for Midi playback.

HTH,
John

Brilliant. That did it. It had something in the box that said MPU401
(whatever that is). As soon as I changed it to Microsoft WaveTable SW Synth.

What is MPU401?
Evi

"John Wunderlich" <jwunderlich@lycos.com> wrote in message
> "Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:TvpYd.4544$7r6.1395@newsfe5-
> gui.ntli.net:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion John but SW Synth is neither down or muted.
> > Anyone got any more suggestions?
> > Evi
> >

> Go to the control panel and look for either a "Multimedia" or "Sounds &
> Audio Devices" control panel (or something close -- I'm not at a W2K
> machine now). Check the Midi tab or Audio tab and make sure there is a
> synthesizer loaded for Midi playback.
>
> HTH,
> John

"Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:cLBYd.20586$l65.1214@newsfe5-
gui.ntli.net:

> What is MPU401?

I believe it is the model number for a sound card. This was probably
the driver that came with your sound card.

HTH,
John

> "Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote in news:cLBYd.20586$l65.1214@newsfe5-
> gui.ntli.net:
>
> > What is MPU401?
> >

> I believe it is the model number for a sound card. This was probably
> the driver that came with your sound card.
>
> HTH,
> John

Why didn't midi files play when I had MPU401 selected?
Evi

Midi player hardware or emulator that is broken or doesn't exist.

> "John Wunderlich" <jwunderlich@lycos.com> wrote in message
>> "Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote in
>> news:cLBYd.20586$l65.1214@newsfe5- gui.ntli.net:
>>
>>> What is MPU401?
>>>

>> I believe it is the model number for a sound card. This was
>> probably the driver that came with your sound card.
>>
>> HTH,
>> John
>
> Why didn't midi files play when I had MPU401 selected?
> Evi

I don't know. Synthesizers replicate instruments ( flutes, drums,
piano, etc). Not all synthesizers replicate all instruments. Perhaps
the other synthesizer did not contain the instruments needed to play
your midi file.

-- John

> >> "Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> >> I believe it is the model number for a sound card. This was
> >> probably the driver that came with your sound card.
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> John
> >
> > Why didn't midi files play when I had MPU401 selected?
> > Evi
>
> I don't know. Synthesizers replicate instruments ( flutes, drums,
> piano, etc). Not all synthesizers replicate all instruments. Perhaps
> the other synthesizer did not contain the instruments needed to play
> your midi file.
>
> -- John

That explains it. Thanks John. The main thing is that everything is working
now.
Evi