Streaming Video, Various

Hi,

I already run a streaming webcam from my pub in the UK, it's using webcam32
and the analogx www server to push the jar files due to the recent java
incompatibilities of webcam32, all works fine there and am quite happy with
the results, (url is www.thetophouse.com click the webcam page from there)
Anyways, I've just ordered a trackerpod (details here
http://www.cyberwalker.net/gizmos/eagletron-trackerpod.html ) To make things
a little more exciting for the viewers, they are practically unheard of in
the UK so it should prove exciting.

Right, onto business, like I said, I have webcam32 working with analogx, but
it complicates things, especially when the trackerpod will be install since
it, means starting up 3 apps to get everything going. I informed that the
trackerpod software (trackercam) does the time set ftp still image upload
but doesn't do streaming, (a shame really since the trackercam interface is
REALLY nice) the best it can do, from what I've read is 1 second intervals,
which isn't great. So, has anyone any ideas for a better solution? Does
using a java 'pull' work as well as using analogx to 'push' the java? ie
running trackercam to work the pan & tilt & webcam32 to serve the image but
removing analogx and using a 'pull'.

Any other options? Is anyone running anything similar and can pass on a URL
that I can take a look at? How about the windows media encoding route? I've
seen one working but it kept pausing about every 10 seconds which I don't
really want. I want everything to be as fluid as bandwidth permits.

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:07:22 -0000, "Dion L Heap"
<NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I already run a streaming webcam from my pub in the UK, it's using webcam32
>and the analogx www server to push the jar files due to the recent java
>incompatibilities of webcam32, all works fine there and am quite happy with
>the results, (url is www.thetophouse.com click the webcam page from there)
>Anyways, I've just ordered a trackerpod (details here
>http://www.cyberwalker.net/gizmos/eagletron-trackerpod.html ) To make things
>a little more exciting for the viewers, they are practically unheard of in
>the UK so it should prove exciting.
>
>Right, onto business, like I said, I have webcam32 working with analogx, but
>it complicates things, especially when the trackerpod will be install since
>it, means starting up 3 apps to get everything going. I informed that the
>trackerpod software (trackercam) does the time set ftp still image upload
>but doesn't do streaming, (a shame really since the trackercam interface is
>REALLY nice) the best it can do, from what I've read is 1 second intervals,
>which isn't great. So, has anyone any ideas for a better solution? Does
>using a java 'pull' work as well as using analogx to 'push' the java? ie
>running trackercam to work the pan & tilt & webcam32 to serve the image but
>removing analogx and using a 'pull'.
>
>Any other options? Is anyone running anything similar and can pass on a URL
>that I can take a look at? How about the windows media encoding route? I've
>seen one working but it kept pausing about every 10 seconds which I don't
>really want. I want everything to be as fluid as bandwidth permits.
>
>Any help on this would be really appreciated.
>
>regards,
>
>Dion L Heap
>www.thetophouse.com

If you can solder, you can make your own pan/tilt cam setup and
an analog cam switcher fairly cheaply. The below links show the
setup. Media encoder usually has a ~15 second delay between the
frame grab and it being seen by the client. This makes it poor
for interactive setups like pan/tilt and cam switching. FTP uses
up bandwidth all the time, wether anybody is watching or not. I
suggest you switch from analogx to apache, as apache will run as
a service and will start on its own when the computer is booted.
It also has better cgi support for interactive cam setups. You
can make simple setups controlled by the viewers that can blink a
light or ring a bell telling the customers to wave at the cam and
such.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo1.htm
http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo.htm
http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher.htm

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:07:22 -0000, "Dion L Heap"
> <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote:
>
> If you can solder, you can make your own pan/tilt cam setup and
> an analog cam switcher fairly cheaply. The below links show the
> setup.

Trackerpod is already ordered so that's no longer an option.

Media encoder usually has a ~15 second delay between the
> frame grab and it being seen by the client. This makes it poor
> for interactive setups like pan/tilt and cam switching.

So that's out then

>FTP uses
> up bandwidth all the time, wether anybody is watching or not. I
> suggest you switch from analogx to apache, as apache will run as
> a service and will start on its own when the computer is booted.
> It also has better cgi support for interactive cam setups. You
> can make simple setups controlled by the viewers that can blink a
> light or ring a bell telling the customers to wave at the cam and
> such.

The URL's are familiar to me, have read a lot on the webcam32 forum, I
really want to keep the 20 second ftp update for people on dialup. So do you
think that webcam32 and apache is the way to go? Do you know anything about
the newer software by the webcam32 people? If apache is the way to go,
could you please give me more info, is it as easy to set up as analogx?

thanks

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:32:38 -0000, "Dion L Heap"
<NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote:

>"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:07:22 -0000, "Dion L Heap"
>> <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote:
>>
>> If you can solder, you can make your own pan/tilt cam setup and
>> an analog cam switcher fairly cheaply. The below links show the
>> setup.
>
>Trackerpod is already ordered so that's no longer an option.
>

> Media encoder usually has a ~15 second delay between the
>> frame grab and it being seen by the client. This makes it poor
>> for interactive setups like pan/tilt and cam switching.
>
>So that's out then
>
>>FTP uses
>> up bandwidth all the time, wether anybody is watching or not. I
>> suggest you switch from analogx to apache, as apache will run as
>> a service and will start on its own when the computer is booted.
>> It also has better cgi support for interactive cam setups. You
>> can make simple setups controlled by the viewers that can blink a
>> light or ring a bell telling the customers to wave at the cam and
>> such.
>
>The URL's are familiar to me, have read a lot on the webcam32 forum, I
>really want to keep the 20 second ftp update for people on dialup. So do you
>think that webcam32 and apache is the way to go? Do you know anything about
>the newer software by the webcam32 people? If apache is the way to go,
>could you please give me more info, is it as easy to set up as analogx?

I use the apache 1.3.33 version. It installs like most any other
program. It has an ini file where you set the port you want it to
run on. It has itself in the program groups with start, restart,
stop, and configure optons. Pretty simple. Get it at the below
link. I think the newer surveyor product is more aimed at "pay
per view" people.

http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

> I use the apache 1.3.33 version. It installs like most any other
> program. It has an ini file where you set the port you want it to
> run on. It has itself in the program groups with start, restart,
> stop, and configure optons. Pretty simple. Get it at the below
> link. I think the newer surveyor product is more aimed at "pay
> per view" people.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

Would you say this is the best option, ie is it better than say, dumping
webcam32 and going onto webcamxp, or perhaps using webcam32 with a java pull
script as opposed to the apache pushing the java?

Looking at the trackercam software it's a really nice piece of software,
definitely the nicest webcam software interface I've seen, a shame I cant
use it as it doesn't do true streaming :eek:(

If the apache route is the way to go, I may have more questions re setup
when it comes to it ;o)

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:03:21 -0000, "Dion L Heap"
<NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote:

>"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I use the apache 1.3.33 version. It installs like most any other
>> program. It has an ini file where you set the port you want it to
>> run on. It has itself in the program groups with start, restart,
>> stop, and configure optons. Pretty simple. Get it at the below
>> link. I think the newer surveyor product is more aimed at "pay
>> per view" people.
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
>>

>Would you say this is the best option, ie is it better than say, dumping
>webcam32 and going onto webcamxp, or perhaps using webcam32 with a java pull
>script as opposed to the apache pushing the java?

I rather use the push than the pull. the pull has a blip, blip,
blip action as each frame is requested. You should be able to try
before you buy on webcamxp to see how well it works. VisionGS is
another similar webcam program. If you want to do the java pull,
below is a simple setup using the free webcam2000 application.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc2000.htm