Connectivity Problem

vamz

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I am using a Zyxel router, it was the cheapest thing I could find cause I am just buying time till the N standard becomes the norm. My problem is when connecting to comcast randomly it gets disconnected, but my laptop stay connected to the router. It shows full bars with good signal, but when I go to the router status page it says it's searching for an IP. The desktop that is also connected to the router, but connected with cat5, also gets disconnected. Once I repair the connections, it starts working again. It also starts working again if I reset the router. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
There should be a setting for leas time for the LAN side, Set to MAX.

The WAN side should be set to connect via DHCP. When you look at the status page is should give you a lease time. With DHCP it should auto connect. I have comcast and never drop or loose a connection.

You should always buy Quality Hardware. Short cutting hardly evers works. I use a Router + AP seperate units. That way I can upgrade one without affecting the other. As for 11n, you will have a long wait, 1+yrs. I have a 11g set up that will beat it, 125mbps.