Sign in with
Your question

E6300 at 2.8Ghz - too hot?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 16, 2006 8:14:05 PM

Hi

I wanted to get some advice regarding the temperature of my E6300 @ 2.8Ghz. ‘Core Temp’ has the CPU idling at 49C and 57C under full load (Twin Prime95 for 2 hours).

Is that too hot?

The system is virtually silent and rock solid, I use 3D Studio MAX for work and it’s running like a dream. My games (HL2 / Far Cry) are also fine.

I put the system together yesterday, read the overclocking guide at the top of this thread, threw caution to the wind and set everything at what seemed to be stupidly high settings, to my surprise it booted first time so I installed XP and here I am.

Only today did it occur to me that this might be running way too hot – eek!

Thanks,

ThatDude

My system spec:

MB: Gigabyte 965P-S3
CPU: Core Duo E6300
RAM: 2 x 1GB OCZ2G8001G
Cooler: Scythe Infinity
HDD: 2 x Samsung 300GB
GFX: Gigabyte Geforce 6600 GT
Case: Antec Sonata

I’ve taken some screenshots of CPU-Z and Core Temp to show the voltages I set etc, I don’t know if it helps though.

More about : e6300 8ghz hot

December 16, 2006 8:40:19 PM

Sounds ok to me - warm, but not dangerous.

One thing - it's probably a better idea to install Windows at stock settings. If anything was unstable, who knows what weird problems might have happened to your Windows install?
December 16, 2006 9:51:17 PM

At 400mhz fsb I would be more worried about that Northbridge. Mine could hit 70C at 375mhz FSB until I put AS5 and a fan blowing onto it.
Related resources
December 16, 2006 10:40:40 PM

How are you measuring the North bridge temp?
December 17, 2006 1:28:08 AM

Did you install Easytune? It is included in your Motherboard cd. Not sure if it's vista compatible though.
December 17, 2006 4:17:22 AM

Watch your temps once in a while. As dust will build up on your fan cooler, cooling will lose some of its efficiency
December 17, 2006 8:13:00 AM

I installed EasyTune5 but could not find the NorthBridge temp? Is it the SYSTEM temp in the hardware monitor section?

Also, the CPU temp is reported as being 16 degrees lower than by coretemp, which program is correct?
December 17, 2006 9:01:26 AM

Coretemp is correct, it reads from the on-die dode.

Why is Core 0 so much higher than Core 1? Did you set the affinity of each Prime95 instance to a different CPU?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2006 9:21:09 AM

You might want to check your heat sink fan.
703Rpm sounds alot low to me...

Also, core 0 runs hotter than core 1 on my rig also.
Anyone else show this?
Mby even know why it does this?
December 17, 2006 9:45:58 AM

700 RPM is normal with the stock HSF. the speed of that fan varies from 700 - 2400 depending on load.

My core temps are usually within 1-2 degrees of each other
December 17, 2006 12:47:37 PM

I have no idea why the fan speed is so low, I asumed the Scythe Infinity cooler was doing such a good job at cooling that fan didn't need much RPM to be effective.

darkstar782 - is the 2 degree difference in CPU temp between core1 and core2 a lot? I did set the affinity of Prime95 correctly but I had one of them running torture test1 and the other running torture test2.

So CoreTemp is correct and EasyTune is wrong! In that case how do I guage the correct temp of my NorthBridge?
December 17, 2006 3:49:38 PM

Your system is the northbridge temp. Easy tune doesn't measure on die temps . It is measuring the external temp of the processor that is the temp that you don't want to ever reach 61C. And the internal temp which is measured by core temp you dont want to be near the TJunction max which is 85C that is when the chip throttles. I don't know a program that measures the internal temp of the northbridge so I'm no help there. Not sure if it even has an internal sensor to monitor temps anyway.

Also my CPU has a 2-4C diff between cores.
December 17, 2006 8:05:19 PM

Quote:
I have no idea why the fan speed is so low, I asumed the Scythe Infinity cooler was doing such a good job at cooling that fan didn't need much RPM to be effective.

darkstar782 - is the 2 degree difference in CPU temp between core1 and core2 a lot? I did set the affinity of Prime95 correctly but I had one of them running torture test1 and the other running torture test2.

So CoreTemp is correct and EasyTune is wrong! In that case how do I guage the correct temp of my NorthBridge?

hmmm....

Quote:
49C and 57C under full load

Unless my maths is waaaay out that's 8°C not 2°C
December 18, 2006 5:52:18 AM

Quote:
49C and 57C under full load

Unless my maths is waaaay out that's 8°C not 2°C

That's idle temp vs load temp. The 2C he was talking about was the difference between the temps reported on the two cores.
December 18, 2006 6:03:18 AM

aaaaaaaaah

My bad. It seems I just failed reading comprehension. 2°C∆ is fine.
December 18, 2006 8:06:05 AM

Quote:
Your system is the northbridge temp. Easy tune doesn't measure on die temps . It is measuring the external temp of the processor that is the temp that you don't want to ever reach 61C. And the internal temp which is measured by core temp you dont want to be near the TJunction max which is 85C that is when the chip throttles. I don't know a program that measures the internal temp of the northbridge so I'm no help there. Not sure if it even has an internal sensor to monitor temps anyway.

Also my CPU has a 2-4C diff between cores.

Thanks guys and especially Derek2006, that explains everthing nicely. It looks like I'm well within the accepted norms.

Now I have another question but I'll start a new thread to avoid taking this one off-topic.
!