hockeydog3133

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Alright ...Im really in a pickle!!! [haha] Basically im torn between the x-fi platinum and x-meridian [which im hearing is much better than the x-fi]. Ive got z-5500 speakers and basically want whats going to be best for music but at the same time originally what drew me to the X-fi is that it had that i/O drive that I guess i could hook my tv up to through the rca [the only output available on my tv for surround, and z-5500's dont have a rca input]. So I have 2 questions
1st which of these 2 sound cards do you all reccommend
and
2nd Is there any way to get the X-meridian hooked up to rca [the red and white output] , I was reading about some extenderboard called the x-tender on that pg /what about that ,would that work http://www.auzentech.com/site/produ...p#xtension_pics
----by the way ill be hooking it up through analog [most likely]

I have heard both good and bad things about the X-merdian, but mostly positive reviews.

Also to note: you defiantly have the speakers to take advantage of the quality of both cards.

I personally use the X-Fi with a set of JBL speakers and the music quality is out standing. I do wish it had optical out, but that’s not Creative's thing. I would prefer to have Creative's support as well since they are a much larger company.

I also believe most people would recommend X-Fi as its the more common of the two, and it has had great success. As much as you paid for your speakers, you should pick up the SB X-Fi an enjoy as the quality is fantastic.

Weirdo0815

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I do wish it had optical out

Just so you know, Creative sells a $15 add-on thing to the X-Fi's that plug into the Flexi-Jack on the card that does Optical and Coaxial input AND output (it has 2 Optical and 2 Coaxial jacks, one for input and one for output). But I do agree, it's annoying it's not built onto the board instead...

But to give my 2 cents, I have heard some about the X-Meridian and I was given a demonstration of it. It did sound really nice but I still prefer my X-Fi. The options and settings seem easier to me. Wish I had your Z-5500 to improve over my X-530's ;)

Maybe this was the speakers but the X-Meridian didnt seem to play the really REALLY high and low end of the spectrum as the X-Fi does. The difference is marginal though and there isn't many sounds at those two ends of it. Either way, you got the speaker system for it :)

My choice: X-Fi (any of them should work but the Platinum is the one with the drive bay add-on)

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have an X-Fi Platinum. It sounds very marginally better than my "old" Audigy 2 ZS, so the sound is terrific. Also, most places don't advertise it, but the Platinum ships with the 5.25" front bay control panel. I honestly don't think you'd be able to hear the difference between the X-Meridian and the X-Fi Platinum with your Z-5500. However, one of the technologies that ships with X-Fi is supposed to be able to optimize sound output on low- and mid-range speakers, headphones, etc., but that obviously doesn't apply to you. If you had anything less than the Z-5500, I'd definitely suggest the Platinum, but it's really up to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts