Why purchase an FTP client?

I want to be uploading files to my web site. I see a number of FTP
clients that I can purchase for $40-$60. What is the advantage of using
such a client over simply going into My Network Places, defining an FTP
site as a "network place" and then using Windows Explorer to copy my
files up?

Rick C. <blue--nospam--.heron3@verizon.net> wrote:
>I want to be uploading files to my web site. I see a number of FTP
>clients that I can purchase for $40-$60. What is the advantage of using
>such a client over simply going into My Network Places, defining an FTP
>site as a "network place" and then using Windows Explorer to copy my
>files up?

FTP Clients give you a much greater control over your FTP sessions.
Moreover, they offer more advanced features than simply using the FTP
feature of the Internet Explorer. Plus they are easier to use.

I'd recommend SmartFTP from www.smartftp.com. One of the best ones out
there :)

--
Aarohi Johal
MCP, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA

In article <OMG$8WvJFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
aarohi@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Rick C. <blue--nospam--.heron3@verizon.net> wrote:
> >I want to be uploading files to my web site. I see a number of FTP
> >clients that I can purchase for $40-$60. What is the advantage of using
> >such a client over simply going into My Network Places, defining an FTP
> >site as a "network place" and then using Windows Explorer to copy my
> >files up?
>

> FTP Clients give you a much greater control over your FTP sessions.
> Moreover, they offer more advanced features than simply using the FTP
> feature of the Internet Explorer.

I meant *Windows* Explorer: simply doing drag 'n' drop or copy and
paste, between local computer and FTP site, in order to transfer files.

> Plus they are easier to use.

Thanks. But would genuine FTP clients actually be FASTER than using
Windows Explorer in terms of transfer speed?

"Aarohi Johal" <aarohi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rick C. <blue--nospam--.heron3@verizon.net> wrote:
> >I want to be uploading files to my web site. I see a number of FTP
> >clients that I can purchase for $40-$60. What is the advantage of using
> >such a client over simply going into My Network Places, defining an FTP
> >site as a "network place" and then using Windows Explorer to copy my
> >files up?
>

> FTP Clients give you a much greater control over your FTP sessions.
> Moreover, they offer more advanced features than simply using the FTP
> feature of the Internet Explorer. Plus they are easier to use.
>
> I'd recommend SmartFTP from www.smartftp.com. One of the best ones out
> there :)
>
> --
> Aarohi Johal
> MCP, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA

I fail to see how it could possibly be easier than a simple drag 'n' drop
from explorer. What useful features does SmartFTP offer that explorer
doesn't, the keyword being useful? I use Explorer as the OP described (not
Internet Explorer although IE is the vehicle through which the actual
transfer takes place) and it saturates my up pipe (512Kb) so there's surely
no speed advantage to using some other software.

So once again; what, exactly, is the advantage of using a 3rd party FTP
client?

The FTP client has benefits that are not in the Explorer interface. For example if the server cuts the connection for any purpose that's it. You lose the file AND you cannot resume. A FTP client CAN resume if the FTP Server supports it. Also it can be used for a secure FTP server Explorer cannot. If the FTP server is on your machine then Explorer (My Network Connections) is just fine.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

"Colon Terminus" <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Aarohi Johal" <aarohi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rick C. <blue--nospam--.heron3@verizon.net> wrote:
> > >I want to be uploading files to my web site. I see a number of FTP
> > >clients that I can purchase for $40-$60. What is the advantage of
using
> > >such a client over simply going into My Network Places, defining an FTP
> > >site as a "network place" and then using Windows Explorer to copy my
> > >files up?
> >

> > FTP Clients give you a much greater control over your FTP sessions.
> > Moreover, they offer more advanced features than simply using the FTP
> > feature of the Internet Explorer. Plus they are easier to use.
> >
> > I'd recommend SmartFTP from www.smartftp.com. One of the best ones out
> > there :)
> >
> > --
> > Aarohi Johal
> > MCP, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA
>
> I fail to see how it could possibly be easier than a simple drag 'n' drop
> from explorer. What useful features does SmartFTP offer that explorer
> doesn't, the keyword being useful? I use Explorer as the OP described (not
> Internet Explorer although IE is the vehicle through which the actual
> transfer takes place) and it saturates my up pipe (512Kb) so there's
surely
> no speed advantage to using some other software.
>
> So once again; what, exactly, is the advantage of using a 3rd party FTP
> client?

What is useful to some may be useless to others, so it really depends on
your needs. IE/Explorer are fine if you are just dragging/dropping a few
small files every now and then. If you regularly ftp the benefits would
quickly be seen. One of the biggest benefits I've experienced with a ftp
client (I use CuteFTP) is reliability; when transfering large files using IE
I would frequently lose connections (and the file) but there are underlying
mechanisms that allow the ftp client to maintain the connection. Other
benefits from using a ftp client (a far from complete list): resuming
transfers, scheduling transfers, throttling the bandwidth used, secure
connections and easier server navigation. I'm sure there are many more but
these are just a few items that I find beneficial.

Greg

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Rick C. <blue--nospam--.heron3@verizon.net> wrote:

>I want to be uploading files to my web site. I see a number of FTP
>clients that I can purchase for $40-$60. What is the advantage of using
>such a client over simply going into My Network Places, defining an FTP
>site as a "network place" and then using Windows Explorer to copy my
>files up?

Probably nothing at all in your case. Unless you are downloading huge
files over ftp for which resuming a transfer may be important, or you
need to schedule/script transfers and you don't want to resort to
command prompt and such, my suggestion is to save your money.

GeoffW

you do not necessarily have to purchase, I use FTP commander
(freeware) simple to use

give something like this a go, then if you want some
specific item not available in the freeware upgrade ot
purchase

Geoff

> I want to be uploading files to my web site. I see a
number of FTP
> clients that I can purchase for $40-$60. What is the
advantage of using
> such a client over simply going into My Network Places,
defining an FTP
> site as a "network place" and then using Windows Explorer
to copy my
> files up?

In article <#lFqID5JFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, aa533@chebucto.ns.ca
says...

> mechanisms that allow the ftp client to maintain the connection. Other
> benefits from using a ftp client (a far from complete list): resuming
> transfers, scheduling transfers, throttling the bandwidth used

By the way, what does 'throttling the bandwith' mean? Thanks.

-- New to All This

"Rick Charnes" <rickxyz--nospam.zyxcharnes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <#lFqID5JFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, aa533@chebucto.ns.ca
> says...
>
> > mechanisms that allow the ftp client to maintain the connection. Other
> > benefits from using a ftp client (a far from complete list): resuming
> > transfers, scheduling transfers, throttling the bandwidth used
>
> By the way, what does 'throttling the bandwith' mean? Thanks.
>
> -- New to All This

It means you can control the amount of bandwidth used. In other words you
can adjust the speed of the transferring file(s). Not necessarily a huge
selling feature but can be handy if you only have very limited bandwidth and
want to do something else with your connection at the same time.

TRENDING THREADS