anyone own a 3Com HomeConnect PC Digital Camera webcam??

cadnyc wrote:

> anyone own a 3Com HomeConnect PC Digital Camera webcam??

A lot of people do but obviously not enough for it to be worth 3com's while
to keep it in production. It was originally made by Vista Imaging, where
you can find some more information, and is currently apparently being made
by Inside/Out Networks, whose latest drivers are dated 10/28/02, which
shows how aggressive they are about continued development.

I have two of them. I never found either to be particularly useful.

Why do you ask?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

I recently bought a 3com homecoonect pc digital camera from a friend. On the
first setup, all the video/images came out blurry. I've tried to adjusting
the rotating lens without luck. So, I took it apart and I notice a blue
square glass that sat between the rotating lens and sensor was all blurry. I
tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and that didnt work. It looks like
some kind of mildew buildup. Can this blue square glass be replaced? I'm
currently using the webcam w/o it and the some of the image/video look over
exposed(too much white balance).

cadnyc wrote:

> I recently bought a 3com homecoonect pc digital camera from a friend. On
> the first setup, all the video/images came out blurry. I've tried to
> adjusting the rotating lens without luck. So, I took it apart and I notice
> a blue square glass that sat between the rotating lens and sensor was all
> blurry. I tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and that didnt work. It
> looks like some kind of mildew buildup. Can this blue square glass be
> replaced? I'm currently using the webcam w/o it and the some of the
> image/video look over exposed(too much white balance).

Not sure what to do there--mine do have that blue square but it appears to
be quite clean and shiny. Perhaps Inside/Out might have replacement parts
available. <http://www.ionetworks.com/> Note that the camera is under
"environmental monitoring".

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> cadnyc wrote:
>>
>>> anyone own a 3Com HomeConnect PC Digital Camera webcam??
>>
>> A lot of people do but obviously not enough for it to be worth 3com's
>> while
>> to keep it in production. It was originally made by Vista Imaging, where
>> you can find some more information, and is currently apparently being
>> made by Inside/Out Networks, whose latest drivers are dated 10/28/02,
>> which shows how aggressive they are about continued development.
>>
>> I have two of them. I never found either to be particularly useful.
>>
>> Why do you ask?
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

thanks, j.clarke. i've already emailed ionetworks.com and i hope to hear
from them soon.

> cadnyc wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a 3com homecoonect pc digital camera from a friend. On
>> the first setup, all the video/images came out blurry. I've tried to
>> adjusting the rotating lens without luck. So, I took it apart and I
>> notice
>> a blue square glass that sat between the rotating lens and sensor was all
>> blurry. I tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and that didnt work. It
>> looks like some kind of mildew buildup. Can this blue square glass be
>> replaced? I'm currently using the webcam w/o it and the some of the
>> image/video look over exposed(too much white balance).
>
> Not sure what to do there--mine do have that blue square but it appears to
> be quite clean and shiny. Perhaps Inside/Out might have replacement parts
> available. <http://www.ionetworks.com/> Note that the camera is under
> "environmental monitoring".
>
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> A lot of people do but obviously not enough for it to be worth 3com's
>>> while
>>> to keep it in production. It was originally made by Vista Imaging,
>>> where
>>> you can find some more information, and is currently apparently being
>>> made by Inside/Out Networks, whose latest drivers are dated 10/28/02,
>>> which shows how aggressive they are about continued development.
>>>
>>> I have two of them. I never found either to be particularly useful.
>>>
>>> Why do you ask?
>>>
>>> --
>>> --John
>>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>>>

> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I realize it has been several years but to update this thread:
1) As of September 2011 the 3com homeconnect can be used with Windows 7. See here
http://www.pixcl.com/3Com_HomeConnect_Win_7_Installation.htm
or search '3com homeconnect win7'

2) I had the same issue with foggy picture after the camera sat for a year in my car trunk. Actually it was so blurry I couldn't make out anything but light or darkness. You need a torq screwdriver to take apart the unit but the culprit is the blue/green square of glass. I had to completely disassemble the unit (much easier than it sounds) and clean the INSIDE of this glass, not the outside with rubbing alcohol and a qtip. Then image was crystal clear! The whole process took probably 15 minutes. Neat little camera.