Sign in with
Your question

CPU fan error on P5W DH Deluxe. Please help!

Last response: in Overclocking
December 16, 2006 9:32:56 PM

Hi there, my dad has bought this nice setup E6600 with Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 running on a P5W DH Deluxe. Everything works just fine when I build his system. Only one problem that just won't go away. When I boot I get this crazy error "CPU fan error" and I need to press F1 when I want to go further in booting. When I look into the rpm from this Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 I see that it only runs at 700 rpm while keeping the E6600 at a 32 C degree idle temp. The bios displays this rpm red.....I guess it won't accept the rpm for some reason. I find it really strange that Asus is not fixing this irritating error for as far as I know. So, my question is.......is the only solution to just put all cpu fan controlling functions on ignore in the bios? Would that not put danger on his system as nothing is monitoring it anymore? Or is there maybe another solution to it. His bios is v. 1305 the way he bought it. There are so many people who own this mobo so maybe somebody has a better solution.....thx for your help.
December 16, 2006 11:01:57 PM

Well, thx for telling me this...I'm not living at my parents place so I will try it out tomorrow. I presume you mean the target cpu temp that I should enter for the bios to know right? If so, I will let you know if it works.

If not Asus is not doing a great job in supporting cpu's coolers within their flagship mobo bios. I've read a lot of problems about this. Ignoring the cpu error problem usually helps but I mean comeon....we are talking about Asus here...the big BRAND. They should be able to fix this right?
December 17, 2006 5:29:19 AM

The BIOS defaults are usually set for the OEM CPU cooler; when you switch to a different one, you'll need to adjust the settings in the BIOS, as mentioned above.
In any case, the BIOS overtemp shutdown is mostly redundant these days, as modern Intel CPUs self-throttle to reduce heat if they get too hot.
Related resources
December 17, 2006 6:03:56 AM

Why should Asus help you when you remove the stock cooler and install an aftermarket cooler? YOU'VE made the decision to add a non OEM part, is ASUS supposed to be psychic and know that you did this and send you a motherboard specific to the cooler you bought?

This complaint is pretty stupid, how can ASUS be expected to account for every different type of aftermarket cooler? How is the motherboard supposed to detect that the cooler you're using is supposed to be running at 700 rpm? If you are going to use non OEM parts then learn what you need first.
December 17, 2006 6:16:22 AM

All very good questions, to which I have one answer.... DFI.
December 17, 2006 6:21:21 AM

How exactly has DFI managed to determine how to correlate the rpms from the temperature provided then determine what the correct rpms are supposed to be?
December 17, 2006 6:28:20 AM

The reason it is telling you there is an error is that 700RPM is a very low speed and would normally indicate a faulty fan.

If you don't like it, turn off monitoring.
December 17, 2006 6:37:40 AM

Quote:
It's not a matter of designing the motherboard to have settings for each cooler. It's a matter of having frexability so that adjustments can be made. Which most motherboard manufactures have. They go out of there way to leave boards open for OCing. All thats needed is to be able to adjust at what RPM level the motherboard sounds a warning. I can do it on my Gigabyte K8N SLI Pro.

WTF does this have to do with me? I know the settings in bios, I was explaining to the OP that if he's going to add an aftermarket cooler then he should know how to change those setting without crying about ASUS.... I've never seen an ASUS board that can't adjust those settings for rpm speed in the last 4 years...
December 17, 2006 6:38:34 AM

PLEASE RESPOND TO THE RIGHT PERSON.. I am not the OP...
December 17, 2006 7:11:29 AM

Quite nicely thank you...

They measure temps vs fan speed, and (if enabled) adjust accordingly. If not enabled, then you get a warning that your temps might be a bit high. All defaults...

You should try them. ASUS is not the end all MB maker, and I will be sorry if DFI ever bows out. Sadly, that seems to be the current rumour.
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2006 7:57:05 AM

Quote:
Hi there, my dad has bought this nice setup E6600 with Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 running on a P5W DH Deluxe. Everything works just fine when I build his system. Only one problem that just won't go away. When I boot I get this crazy error "CPU fan error" and I need to press F1 when I want to go further in booting. When I look into the rpm from this Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 I see that it only runs at 700 rpm while keeping the E6600 at a 32 C degree idle temp. The bios displays this rpm red.....I guess it won't accept the rpm for some reason. I find it really strange that Asus is not fixing this irritating error for as far as I know. So, my question is.......is the only solution to just put all cpu fan controlling functions on ignore in the bios? Would that not put danger on his system as nothing is monitoring it anymore? Or is there maybe another solution to it. His bios is v. 1305 the way he bought it. There are so many people who own this mobo so maybe somebody has a better solution.....thx for your help.

disable "wait for F1 on error" or whatever it is on the asus boards, and 2nd make sure its connected to the cpu fan header not the case/video/chipset fan connectors, the cpu fan usually has its own connector dedicated for it
December 17, 2006 8:09:04 AM

I view the forums in a flat view not a threaded view and almost always reply to the last post, sorry if I offended you :p 
December 17, 2006 8:20:08 AM

Waylander, excuse me? It's really not that hard for Asus to fix such a problem as I'm sure they are able to come up with a solution. And also I'm not asking you to give comments on this little part of comment that I have against ASUS as I have always bought Asus mobo's my whole life. You should stay on topic and try to help instead of crying and getting me wrong. :)  It's just a problem you read a lot about with this mainboard. I never had that problem with other Asus boards before. So I'm sure this can be fixed too. That's all I'm mentioning. Thx.
December 17, 2006 8:21:29 AM

OK Guys, I'm going to try and fix the problem now...I'll let you know if it worked :)  Thx for all your help. I'll be back in a couple of hours.
December 17, 2006 9:12:19 PM

You say you never had that problem with other boards but have you ever replaced the hsf on another board before? All I'm saying is that there is a simple fix by changing the value for the rpm warning in bios... We go in there to tweek ram settings, to turn off other things we don't like so why such a big deal about this? When I installed my water cooling and had no fan at all I got the same message, I just went into the bios to fix it, I didn't complain that ASUS never thought of the fact that there are water coolers out there and should have taken that into account for the motherboard I have... jeez how stupid of them...
December 17, 2006 9:42:30 PM

Well indeed I was forced to do it like you've said and shut down some functions in the bios but I find it kinda strange that you have to shut down and ignore some very handy features in a bios to avoid problems while booting. Sorry but is it just me thinking like this? Whatelse are these features for. I even read there are people out there using a normal stock cooler on their cpu's also having this problem. You think this only happens with non stock coolers? Well look it up on The Internet and you will find out there are plenty of them out there. So that's why I'm talking about this problem.

BTW, thx for the help guys....this is also my answer...I could only solve it by shutting down some fan monitor functions in my dads bios. :( 
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2006 8:19:28 PM

Quote:
Well indeed I was forced to do it like you've said and shut down some functions in the bios but I find it kinda strange that you have to shut down and ignore some very handy features in a bios to avoid problems while booting. Sorry but is it just me thinking like this? Whatelse are these features for. I even read there are people out there using a normal stock cooler on their cpu's also having this problem. You think this only happens with non stock coolers? Well look it up on The Internet and you will find out there are plenty of them out there. So that's why I'm talking about this problem.

BTW, thx for the help guys....this is also my answer...I could only solve it by shutting down some fan monitor functions in my dads bios. :( 

Id prefer the warning there so if the fan WASN'T functioning id know

Second, i have a TT big typhoon with a 3 pin connector fan (non pwm) and it still works with the board and doesnt complain etc.

Safety feature, its a good idea.
December 19, 2006 9:31:00 PM

Yes totally true.....there could always be a cpu fan hardware failure and boom....maybe your house goes up in smoke etc ;)  It's just strange.....when I don't overclock my dad's quietly system that is very hard to hear. I mean REALLY hard....it's truelly amazing that you are like....ummm is your pc turned on? No kidding....but once I overclock it to 3GHz the Asus mobo tells the fan to blow like crazy (2600 and more rpm) while the cpu temps are still under the 40 degrees celcius. That's totally crazy. I really don't like it that Asus can't support many fans. They should really do something about this big problem. My dad does not like to have some jet engine running next to him and using speedfan everytime he boots to control the rpm of his Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. Where has the comfort gone Asus? We don't like jetengines as computers. Orelse...maybe a better plan for the people that don't have the money for watercooling...Asus should provide people earplugs instead for silent overclocking.
December 19, 2006 10:33:10 PM

If the fan on a C2D stops turning:

a) You'll hear it

b) The CPU will not be damaged as it will thermal throttle. Hell you can take the HSF off while it is running and it wont be damaged.

So I don't personally see that the lack of warning should be an issue :/ 
December 21, 2006 7:50:47 PM

That depends if the guy is playing music at the time or not if you want to count on your hearing only. Personally I always use AKG K501 headphones. Then again it's still not good if your mobo can't control cpu fan speed and even has problems with some stock coolers. Personally I find this a big mistake that should be fixed.
!