command prompt

vasu

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003

When i run command from the start -> run
i get the following message
d:\winnt\system32\command.com
d:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running
ms-dos and microsoft windows applications.
choose 'close' to terminate the system

I can execute the cmd from the the run command.

please help

thanks

Vasu

Command.com is a DOS command. If you absoluteley must run command.com
then see this:

"16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error message when you run an MS-DOS or 16-Bit
Windows program in Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305521

John

Vasu wrote:

> When i run command from the start -> run
> i get the following message
> d:\winnt\system32\command.com
> d:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running
> ms-dos and microsoft windows applications.
> choose 'close' to terminate the system
>
> I can execute the cmd from the the run command.
>
> please help
>
> thanks
>
> Vasu

vasu

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003

Now i got

d:\winnt\system32\command.com
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
CS:04c3 IP:869c OP:63 6a 0959 67
Choose close to terminate the application

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Command.com is a DOS command. If you absoluteley must run command.com
> then see this:
>
> "16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error message when you run an MS-DOS or 16-Bit
> Windows program in Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305521
>
> John
>
> Vasu wrote:
>
> > When i run command from the start -> run
> > i get the following message
> > d:\winnt\system32\command.com
> > d:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for
running
> > ms-dos and microsoft windows applications.
> > choose 'close' to terminate the system
> >
> > I can execute the cmd from the the run command.
> >
> > please help
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Vasu

What are you trying to do with command.com that you can't do with
cmd.exe? Without doing any research it sounds to me that you are trying
to send illegal instructions to the Windows Executive Services. Windows
2000 doesn't run on DOS and it won't let itself be run by DOS.

John

Vasu wrote:

> Now i got
>
> d:\winnt\system32\command.com
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
> CS:04c3 IP:869c OP:63 6a 0959 67
> Choose close to terminate the application
>

> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Command.com is a DOS command. If you absoluteley must run command.com
>>then see this:
>>
>>"16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error message when you run an MS-DOS or 16-Bit
>>Windows program in Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305521
>>
>>John
>>
>>Vasu wrote:
>>

>>>When i run command from the start -> run
>>>i get the following message
>>>d:\winnt\system32\command.com
>>>d:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for
>
> running
>
>>>ms-dos and microsoft windows applications.
>>>choose 'close' to terminate the system
>>>
>>>I can execute the cmd from the the run command.
>>>
>>>please help
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>
>>>Vasu

vasu

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003

I had some problems on my dual boot and restored it from the ghost. It is
booting perfectly.
I was trying to release the ipconfig, for which i normally used to go to
command prompt rather than cmd.
so when i noticed that command is not working, I posted it to the newsgroup.

Thanks

> What are you trying to do with command.com that you can't do with
> cmd.exe? Without doing any research it sounds to me that you are trying
> to send illegal instructions to the Windows Executive Services. Windows
> 2000 doesn't run on DOS and it won't let itself be run by DOS.
>
> John
>
> Vasu wrote:
>
> > Now i got
> >
> > d:\winnt\system32\command.com
> > The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
> > CS:04c3 IP:869c OP:63 6a 0959 67
> > Choose close to terminate the application
> >

> > "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> >
> >>Command.com is a DOS command. If you absoluteley must run command.com
> >>then see this:
> >>
> >>"16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem" error message when you run an MS-DOS or 16-Bit
> >>Windows program in Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305521
> >>
> >>John

> > running

Just do ipconfig /release from cmd.exe, all that work is done from cmd
in Windows 2000, unlike Windows 9x.

John