Setting up a live cam through a router to a web site

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 30, 2005 6:19:03 PM

Hi

I have spent 3 days trying to set up a live web cam on a remote web site
without
much success, so I figured someone here might be able to help...

Hardware;
PC running WinXP Pro
PC running Win2003 Server
PC running Win 2000
Each connected to:
Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G)
via wireless network cards (also one can be hard wired if necessary)

USB web cam (1 Zoom and a 1 Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 USB)

I have managed to get ftp stills up on the web site but using WebCam32

I have the latest versions of WebCam32, WebCam2000 and WME (Windows Media
Encoder).

I briefly managed to get a live stream up which only I could view using
webcam32 by having the following code on a page
<applet code="JavaCamPush.class"
codebase="http://SiteName.dyndns.org:8888/applet"
archive="JavaCamPush.jar"
width="352"
height="288">
<param name="URL" value="http://SiteName.dyndns.org:8888">
<param name="cabbase" value="JavaCamPush.cab">
</applet>

Does anyone know how or can point me to a step by step guide

Thanks
January 30, 2005 7:16:48 PM

"Mettá" <metta-remove@this-metta.org.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have spent 3 days trying to set up a live web cam on a remote web site
> without
> much success, so I figured someone here might be able to help...

I take it you're wanting a similar situation to what I have at my site (url
in sig) The streaming part of webcam32 fell on it's arse due to a couple of
things, firstly, the sun java/Microsoft fallout which meant that java
doesn't come installed on later variants of windows, couple with the fact
that webcam32 isn't compatible with the latest version of sun java. There
are 2 workarounds though to get your streaming working, one of which I'm not
too familiar with which is using apache server to push the java, the other,
which I use, is using analogx simpleserver. You can find a LOT of help at
the forum here :-

http://www.surveyor.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi...

That should set you off on the right track. Look especially for postings by
"zoomkat" they are most informative.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com