scandisk can work because it needs exclusive access

I have tried in safe mode and it is the same answer - what to do??
7 answers Last reply
More about scandisk work exclusive access

    If you get an error something to the effect "cannot open volume for direct
    access" There is some system/boot start device that is reading/writing to
    the drive before chkdsk can get a lock on the drive. Some anti-virus
    applications do this.

    You can also run
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the password has been
    validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access
    to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your
    computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "bob" wrote:
    |I have tried in safe mode and it is the same answer - what to do??

    thanks alot for your reply, I haven't tried yet but since you know all about
    this I thought I would be more specific to see if you can help me with my
    original goal.

    I was trying to degrag the c drive, and it runs to the end of tghe program
    but does not defrag it, so the end result looks like the analysis, and it
    reallllly need to be defragged. my outlook pst is in 36000 fragments. But
    anyway, it doesn't seem to be able to defrag, someone suggested the chkdsk
    first before defragging and thats when the access issue came up.

    I got a 3rd party defragger and it can't get beyond 2 %, I have tried safe
    mode, and turned off norton.

    What to do??

    bob wrote:
    > thanks alot for your reply, I haven't tried yet but since you know
    > all about this I thought I would be more specific to see if you can
    > help me with my original goal.
    >
    > I was trying to degrag the c drive, and it runs to the end of tghe
    > program but does not defrag it, so the end result looks like the
    > analysis, and it reallllly need to be defragged. my outlook pst is
    > in 36000 fragments.

    Compact your PST file in Outlook, also. Run it a couple of times.

    > But anyway, it doesn't seem to be able to
    > defrag, someone suggested the chkdsk first before defragging and
    > thats when the access issue came up.
    >
    > I got a 3rd party defragger and it can't get beyond 2 %,

    Which one?

    > I have
    > tried safe mode, and turned off norton.
    >
    > What to do??

    Try Dave's suggestion.

    Also check the drive 'used space' / 'drive capacity'. When you get above 80%
    full there isn't much space for the defragmentation process to work with.

    --

    "bob" wrote:
    | thanks alot for your reply, I haven't tried yet but since you know all
    about
    | this I thought I would be more specific to see if you can help me with my
    | original goal.
    |
    | I was trying to degrag the c drive, and it runs to the end of tghe program
    | but does not defrag it, so the end result looks like the analysis, and it
    | reallllly need to be defragged. my outlook pst is in 36000 fragments.
    But
    | anyway, it doesn't seem to be able to defrag, someone suggested the chkdsk
    | first before defragging and thats when the access issue came up.
    |
    | I got a 3rd party defragger and it can't get beyond 2 %, I have tried
    safe
    | mode, and turned off norton.
    |
    | What to do??

    hi, there is one other detail. when I do the analysis on the drive, it says
    there is 30% free but it doesn't show up on the analysis bar- it is mostly
    red and there is no white at all , not even one sliver

    bob wrote:
    > hi, there is one other detail. when I do the analysis on the drive,
    > it says there is 30% free but it doesn't show up on the analysis bar-
    > it is mostly red and there is no white at all , not even one sliver

    Ouch.
    Might want to get yourself a third party defrag utility like Diskkeeper or
    something -
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    What cluster size? When you defrag is there any improvement? If so you may
    need to run it multiple time.

    --

    "bob" wrote:
    | hi, there is one other detail. when I do the analysis on the drive, it
    says
    | there is 30% free but it doesn't show up on the analysis bar- it is mostly
    | red and there is no white at all , not even one sliver

Safe Mode Microsoft Windows