Checking for bad sectors on my second HD

On my primary hard drive if I run ChkDisk from a command prompt, it offers
to start when I reboot and I can read the results in Event viewer.
If I use the same command on my second hard drive

chkdsk e: /f /r

CheckDisk runs immediately within windows and there is no event in Event
Viewer.

Before I got my new PC, running that command on my second hard drive always
brought up the questions 1) do I want to dismount? (no) 2) do I want to run
CheckDisk when Windows reboots. (Yes)

I presume this doesn't happen anymore because my second hard drive now
contains no programs, only data.

So how can I read my scan disk results by running from startup.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:18:40 GMT, "Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On my primary hard drive if I run ChkDisk from a command prompt, it offers
>to start when I reboot and I can read the results in Event viewer.
>If I use the same command on my second hard drive
>
>chkdsk e: /f /r
>
>CheckDisk runs immediately within windows and there is no event in Event
>Viewer.
>
>Before I got my new PC, running that command on my second hard drive always
>brought up the questions 1) do I want to dismount? (no) 2) do I want to run
>CheckDisk when Windows reboots. (Yes)
>
>I presume this doesn't happen anymore because my second hard drive now
>contains no programs, only data.
>
>So how can I read my scan disk results by running from startup.

Using tip 8 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide,

autocheck autochk /r \??\E:

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Evi wrote:
> On my primary hard drive if I run ChkDisk from a command prompt, it
> offers to start when I reboot and I can read the results in Event
> viewer.
> If I use the same command on my second hard drive
>
> chkdsk e: /f /r

Note, you don't actually need the /f switch if you use /r - you can run
chkdsk e: /r alone as /r implies /f

> CheckDisk runs immediately within windows and there is no event in
> Event Viewer.

But do you see it running?

> Before I got my new PC, running that command on my second hard drive
> always brought up the questions 1) do I want to dismount? (no) 2) do
> I want to run CheckDisk when Windows reboots. (Yes)

Peculiar. It shouldn't ask you that at all unless it's your system volume -
chkdsk can't run on a system volume when you're *in* the system volume.

> I presume this doesn't happen anymore because my second hard drive now
> contains no programs, only data.

Nothing to do with it....

> So how can I read my scan disk results by running from startup.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Evi wrote:
> > On my primary hard drive if I run ChkDisk from a command prompt, it
> > offers to start when I reboot and I can read the results in Event
> > viewer.
> > If I use the same command on my second hard drive
> >
> > chkdsk e: /f /r
>
> Note, you don't actually need the /f switch if you use /r - you can run
> chkdsk e: /r alone as /r implies /f
> >
> > CheckDisk runs immediately within windows and there is no event in
> > Event Viewer.
>
> But do you see it running?
> >
> > Before I got my new PC, running that command on my second hard drive
> > always brought up the questions 1) do I want to dismount? (no) 2) do
> > I want to run CheckDisk when Windows reboots. (Yes)
>
> Peculiar. It shouldn't ask you that at all unless it's your system
volume -
> chkdsk can't run on a system volume when you're *in* the system volume.
>

> > I presume this doesn't happen anymore because my second hard drive now
> > contains no programs, only data.
>
> Nothing to do with it....
> >
> > So how can I read my scan disk results by running from startup.

Yes, I can see scan disk running, in the command prompt window. But there is
no information saved into the Event Viewer as there used to be when I ran it
from boot up.

I can also run scan disk by going the disk's Properties and tools but again,
nothing appears in Event Viewer.

Evi

"Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:18:40 GMT, "Evi" <evwool@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >On my primary hard drive if I run ChkDisk from a command prompt, it
offers
> >to start when I reboot and I can read the results in Event viewer.
> >If I use the same command on my second hard drive
> >
> >chkdsk e: /f /r
> >
> >CheckDisk runs immediately within windows and there is no event in Event
> >Viewer.
> >
> >Before I got my new PC, running that command on my second hard drive
always
> >brought up the questions 1) do I want to dismount? (no) 2) do I want to
run
> >CheckDisk when Windows reboots. (Yes)
> >
> >I presume this doesn't happen anymore because my second hard drive now
> >contains no programs, only data.
> >
> >So how can I read my scan disk results by running from startup.
> >
> Using tip 8 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide,
>
> autocheck autochk /r \??\E:
>
> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

I'm a bit nervous about getting this wrong so can I check. Are you saying
that if I type
autocheck autochk /r \??\E:
in the key which currently says
autocheck autochk *
then my system will run a checkdisk on my E drive when I boot up.
What do the two question marks mean?

Evi