Moving w2k Hard Drive From One Machine To Another

I have a scsi drive in one computer with W2k installed on it and would
like to move it to another machine and use it as the OS drive and
would like to keep 2k installed without needing to reformat and
reinstall- I basically want to plug in the drive and use it as is. Is
there anyway I can do this?

soinie wrote:
> I have a scsi drive in one computer with W2k installed on it and would
> like to move it to another machine and use it as the OS drive and
> would like to keep 2k installed without needing to reformat and
> reinstall- I basically want to plug in the drive and use it as is. Is
> there anyway I can do this?

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before
starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old
one (same chipset, IDE/SCSI controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very
least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent
hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:16:09 -0700, Bruce Chambers
<bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:

>soinie wrote:
>> I have a scsi drive in one computer with W2k installed on it and would
>> like to move it to another machine and use it as the OS drive and
>> would like to keep 2k installed without needing to reformat and
>> reinstall- I basically want to plug in the drive and use it as is. Is
>> there anyway I can do this?
>

> Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
>licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before
>starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old
>one (same chipset, IDE/SCSI controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
>to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very
>least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent
>hot fixes):
>
>How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175
>
>What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
>
> If that fails:
>
>How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

Thankyou Bruce. It might be easier to do the format and reinstall.

In my experience the move does not work and you end up with two dead systems.
I would recommend that if you are intending to try you use a third party
backup software such as Ghost and copy both systems. At least if it fails you
can restore the machines back to normal.