Cannot Revert Boot Drive from Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 13, 2005 4:53:09 PM

how do I Revert Boot Drive from Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk with out a
reinstall
re Q217226

Is there a third pary App that can help me?
reinstaling is not an option, there is too much applications on this server
and I have a 4GB C and I need more space.
I also tryed to use the extend volume but I can not because my disks wore
originally created on a basic disk. is there a solution for this ?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:03:26 AM

bad luck ... you can't go back.

Try searching Powerquest or Veritas products for something that may help
you. From what I know the dynamic disk technology is from Veritas and they a
product that can do much more than Windows alone.

regards,

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"Teligen" <Teligen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do I Revert Boot Drive from Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk with out a
> reinstall
> re Q217226
>
> Is there a third pary App that can help me?
> reinstaling is not an option, there is too much applications on this
> server
> and I have a 4GB C and I need more space.
> I also tryed to use the extend volume but I can not because my disks wore
> originally created on a basic disk. is there a solution for this ?
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:49:02 PM

Hi,
We can revert back from dynamic disk to basic disk using a windows 2000
resouce kit utility diskprobe and converting the system id bit from 42 to 07
on the MBR but it is a complex process and i recommend you to contact
microsoft and have them do it. Anyway, you can also follow the following
articles.

Lukesh
"Teligen" wrote:

> how do I Revert Boot Drive from Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk with out a
> reinstall
> re Q217226
>
> Is there a third pary App that can help me?
> reinstaling is not an option, there is too much applications on this server
> and I have a 4GB C and I need more space.
> I also tryed to use the extend volume but I can not because my disks wore
> originally created on a basic disk. is there a solution for this ?
March 27, 2005 2:55:31 AM

have you succeed doing this with the boot hard disk? it's very likely to
have problems with Windows after doing this.
I have done this succesfully with some other disk (not boot) and still
having some problems after that if I try to make the disk dynamic again.

Some helpfull information here:

but still not recomending this.

--

"lukesh" <lukesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> We can revert back from dynamic disk to basic disk using a windows 2000
> resouce kit utility diskprobe and converting the system id bit from 42 to
> 07
> on the MBR but it is a complex process and i recommend you to contact
> microsoft and have them do it. Anyway, you can also follow the following
> articles.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Window...
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>
> Lukesh
> "Teligen" wrote:
>
>> how do I Revert Boot Drive from Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk with out a
>> reinstall
>> re Q217226
>>
>> Is there a third pary App that can help me?
>> reinstaling is not an option, there is too much applications on this
>> server
>> and I have a 4GB C and I need more space.
>> I also tryed to use the extend volume but I can not because my disks wore
>> originally created on a basic disk. is there a solution for this ?
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 2:55:32 AM

Hi,
Yes, it works well on the boot hard disk too. I have done this a couple of
times and never faced a problem. But we have to make sure we don't have any
windows open and not accessing the volume while using the disk probe as we
may get some problems while reverting back in case some handles are open on
some files.

Lukesh

!