Scythe Ninja Plus or Infinity

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I've be stricken with the over-clocking bug, and it's time to upgrade my cooler. I'm currently running a stock cooler on my e6600 (on a bad axe 2), and I've reached the temperature threshold with which I'm comfortable.

I've been googling cooler options and I'm thinking one of the scythe coolers would be a good solution. The Infinity looks exceptional, but I'm concerned about the weight and size. That thing is heavy. The ninja is a bit more streamlined, it seems.

My case is a mini-tower... so the motherboard is vertically mounted. I don't want to potentially damage my motherboard by having that huge thing hanging off it.... but maybe it isn't really an issue?

I'm comfortable spending anything under $100 on a cooler. Should I just go for a Infinity, would a ninja be more than enough, or is there some other option I should consider?

matador_de_sa

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I would go the Tuniq Tower 120 but that's probably to big. The material the motherboard is made out of is so hard that no cooler you could buy could possibly break it, so don't worry about weight. My second choice after the tower is the Big Typhoon. I've heard a lot of good things about scythe, so it probably won't make too big of a difference anyways (except the tuniq tower is unarguably the best air cooler to date, but probably won't fit in your case)

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
The Ninja is a fantastic cooler (no experience with the Infinity, but I don't see why you'd need anything better than the Ninja anyway).

The Tower 120 is an awesome product, most of the prerelease OC experiments were done with the Tuniq. They're both great coolers.

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Thanks for the responses. I did some additional research and decided to go with the Thermaltake Typhoon VX. I have a side port for a 120mm fan. This will blow fresh air right into the cooler. One of the reviews showed the cooling results on a similar rig were exceptional.

Some people seem concerned about the mounting mechanism on the VX as there is no motherboard support brackets... but I figured I'd take a chance. Assuming the mounting isn't an issue, the easy installation will be welcome. Also, the extra fan speed (and fan control) make the VX more attractive than the original.