Just installed everything - nothing happens when powering on

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I just built my first computer, installed everything I thought neccessary for booting, then tried turning the computer on, and nothing happens. I'll list my hardware first, then what I connected.

C2D E6600 w/ Zalman CNP9500
eVGA GeForce 7950GT
Hiper 580W PSU
Gigabyte DS3 MB
Corsair Dominator 2GB DDR2 800
Antec 9000 Case

CPU and cooler installed, then memory and vid card, connected power to 24pin power connector and 12V 4pin power, connected cpu fan, connected SYS POWER and POWER RS connectors from case. Mobo is sitting properly on risers without touching case or anything else. I connected the monitor, turned the power on, and pushed the case power button, and nothing happens.

Am I missing something, or does this mean one or more of my components are dead? I had previously RMA'd the mobo and CPU, and prior to that had the case set up the same way. When I powered on, the CPU fan (stock, not the zalman) and the vid card fan turned on, but nothing happened on the monitor. No smoke, no sound, nothing. This time, with the new mobo and CPU, the fans didn't even turn on.

I tried removing the SYS POWER and RESET connections, and reversing them, and then reversing them again (since I wasn't sure which way to connect them.. they have a triangle on one of the two pins pointing down, but I'm not sure whether that means the + or - pin goes in the triangle.

I'd say it was probably a simple n00bish mistake, but I've been having problems with installing the C2D CPU into the DS3 socket, and am wondering if I fudged up again. If the socket was messed up, would something still happen on power up? I really have no guideline for troubleshooting this thing, please help.

KaMeWa

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Before you change any components:

First rule of troubleshooting is to remove/disconnect all non-essential devices, including the reset button connector (I've seen shorted reset leads cause this kind of thing). Seems like you've done all of this already, but I'd do it again. No LEDs, no reset, no usbs / firewire, no drives, no add-on cards, just your basic setup. Oh, and the orientation of the reset and power button connector doesn't matter, since the button simply shorts the pins.

Should it still fail to power up, I'd test with some alternate components.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
When you put the c2d in the socket and locked it, did you hear a crunch sound?

Did you check your PSU? I see the name of your PSU, everyone recommends at least a Thermaltake or Antec PSU. Did you check to see if your plugs were in? Did you feel any static when you were putting in your components? (if you can remember)

* think the voltage has been fixed on the ds3. I put in new memory that wasnt 1.8v and it posted normally. My board is version F3.

The power button on your case, I believe if I remember correctly, the triangle means positive (pin #1) Is your power wire from case in....try switching it maybe the wire is in wrong.

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
When you put the c2d in the socket and locked it, did you hear a crunch sound?

Did you check your PSU? I see the name of your PSU, everyone recommends at least a Thermaltake or Antec PSU. Did you check to see if your plugs were in? Did you feel any static when you were putting in your components? (if you can remember)

* think the voltage has been fixed on the ds3. I put in new memory that wasnt 1.8v and it posted normally. My board is version F3.

The power button on your case, I believe if I remember correctly, the triangle means positive (pin #1) Is your power wire from case in....try switching it maybe the wire is in wrong.

With the first mobo and CPU, I heard a scrunch sound (the socket cover was bent upwards too far, and I put too much pressure trying to sit the lever down). I assumed this meant someone was broken after trying to boot with no success. This time, the hatch on the socket of the new Mobo was still bent upwards slightly, and I was worried, so I took it to a computer shop and had them seat it. So I don't know. They might have messed it up again. Should anything happen if the cpu/socket are messed up? Also, can anyone tell me if LA775 sockets are supposed to have upwards bent covers? I think it's weird if not that I've received two in a row.

Everything non-essential has been removed, and I have no extra parts with which to test and try and isolate a faulty component. I suppose I'll just take the whole damn thing to a repair shop on Monday and hope they can sort it out. Should I be pretty picky about finding a repair shop? I'm home for Christmas at my family's house in Nebraska, and I'm not too sure of the level of expertise I'll find at the local stores.

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Also, if the memory is bad like someone said, bios should at least fire up right? What parts/connections would have to be at fault for absolutely nothing to happen (no sounds, no monitor activity). I figure I'll go get a cheap PSU tomorrow and possibly a cheap stick of DDR2, and hope one of those is the culprit.

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Well I just fiddled around with all of the connections, and after reseating the 2pin case power connection, the thing finally does something. The case fans are spinning up, then die and spin up again ever few seconds. Still no monitor activity. I tried taking both sticks of ram out (it should still boot into bios without ram right, so that can't be the problem) and also using each one separately in different slots, no go. So it must either be the PSU or the mobo/cpu. Since the PSU now appears to work (fans are spinning up), then I guess the mobo is f00ked (again, damnit send me a good mobo for once).

But with my first mobo and CPU, the fans stayed on until I turned the power off. What's with the constant spinning off and on?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
No you can't get into bios without ram...

The minimum components you need to get into bios are the motherboard, cpu, ram, video card, keyboard, mouse and monitor. The onboard memory of the motherboard called CMOS does a power on self test (POST), if you fail to POST then you can't get into bios. If you don't have any ram then the motherboard should give you a beep code from it's on board speaker (same with the lack of cpu or video card). If you can't get into bios with the minimum components that I've listed then one of them is bad, something is not seated correctly or the psu is bad. I would reduce the components what I've listed, remove the CMOS battery (looks like a big watch battery at the bottom of the motherboard) and move the jumper right beside it to pins 2-3 for a few minutes, move the jumper back, replace the battery and try to POST again. The instructions for clearing the CMOS memory should be in your motherboard manual.

If the above doesn't work then take it to a computer shop so they can test all your components, this should only cost $30 an hour and should take them no more than 2 hours to do. DON'T go to fry's or bestbuy, find a good local computer store.