Cannot upgrade to Win2k

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

For a while now I've had a multi-boot system, with Win98 and Win2k on
separate partitions.

I've now removed the multi-boot, leaving just Win98, as I intend to upgrade
it to Win2k.

I've removed all traces of the multi-boot: ntldr, boot.ini, bootsect.dos and
ntdetect.com files

As Microsoft say it maybe necessary, I've temporarily renamed "Uninstall
information", as I couldn't spot anything obvious there pertaining to a
multi-boot config.

I've also renamed the Winnt folder that contains Win2k, but as yet not
deleted it, as I would like to revert to a dual boot system if the upgrade
isn't possible.

When attempting to upgrade, the Win2k installer eventually reports that it's
not possible to do so on a multi-boot system and exits. It could perhaps be
the latter which is thwarting my attempts, but wish to confirm this before
deleting it.

Advice appreciated.

Regards
Gary

"Gary" <gary@franklin49deeleetdisbit.neinspamfreeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:d13vl9$htu$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> For a while now I've had a multi-boot system, with Win98 and Win2k on
> separate partitions.
>
> I've now removed the multi-boot, leaving just Win98, as I intend to
upgrade
> it to Win2k.
>
> I've removed all traces of the multi-boot: ntldr, boot.ini, bootsect.dos
and
> ntdetect.com files
>
> As Microsoft say it maybe necessary, I've temporarily renamed "Uninstall
> information", as I couldn't spot anything obvious there pertaining to a
> multi-boot config.
>
> I've also renamed the Winnt folder that contains Win2k, but as yet not
> deleted it, as I would like to revert to a dual boot system if the upgrade
> isn't possible.
>
> When attempting to upgrade, the Win2k installer eventually reports that
it's
> not possible to do so on a multi-boot system and exits. It could perhaps
be
> the latter which is thwarting my attempts, but wish to confirm this before
> deleting it.
>
> Advice appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Gary

You may have to restore the proper Win98 boot environment
before the upgrade can proceed. Boot the machine with a Win98
boot disk (www.bootdisk.com), then run this command:

sys c:

You can easily revert to your Win2000 boot in case you need
to, by booting with the same disk and running this command:

bootpart winnt boot:c:

You can get bootpart from here:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm

As a general remark: If I was given the choice between upgrading
a well-used and well-worn Win98 installation and doing a new
Win2000 installation then I would go for the new installation
without a moment's hesitation, as this would give me a vastly
superior product.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> You may have to restore the proper Win98 boot environment
> before the upgrade can proceed. Boot the machine with a Win98
> boot disk (www.bootdisk.com), then run this command:

Thanks for the advice, but it was too far gone to restore it, the problem
occured right at the very end of Win2k installation, when trying to upgrade
programs.

> I would go for the new installation
> without a moment's hesitation, as this would give me a vastly
> superior product.

Yes, I agree, but there was so much to reinstall program wise, I originally
chose this option.

As it turns out, after enormous hassle, I've had to revert to my original
Win2k installation, as my new Win2k clean installation refused to boot when
a certain piece of hardware was installed (not an IRQ issue). It's fine with
the existing Win2k installation though, truly baffling.

Regards
Gary