Small 64 Bit Question

cozwin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Are there special programs? in 64 bit, like there are versions of programs for mac and windows, are there special 64 biy programs?

and if so any know any?

As im thinking of taking my core2duo system 64 bit tonight.

Also will there be any performance loss from running 32 bit (x86) on a 64 bit windows?

endyen

Splendid
Not too many progs supporet 64 bit yet. AMD supplies this list of games You can also do a new search to check out specific areas.
Some progs do take a slight hit running short mode in 64 bit, but not so you wouild notice. Other progs do gain, but again, nothing major

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
32 bit apps, on 64 bit OS, should run at the same speed, possibly with a tiny performance hit.
64 bit apps, can have a performance boost in the range of 3-10% from using the larger register set.
In case of applications which use 64 bit integer math, like encryption, the boost can be much more substantial.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I have XP pro X64 on two home built systems. The biggest problem is still the drivers. Most modern day hardware is supported now though. I have a printer that is around 3 years old, and HP has even made x64 drivers for it awhile back. However, my X1900 AIW card does not have the overclock feature available in Catalyst, nor does the TV Tuner feature work with x64. If you do get it, just double check your hardware before you put together a system. With Vista having an official x64 release, I imagine that x64 gaming will start to come more into play. Afterall, it may very well be the future. All it's really going to take for a complete switchover is some real kick-ass games to be produced. (If EA would get on board...)

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
More And More Programs Are Becoming 64-Bit Coded For Example HL2 With The Latest Patch, Farcry, And Quite A Few Others, The List Is Getting Longer, As For 32-Bit Apps, Some Run The Same Same As They Would A 32-Bit Install Of XP And Others Actually Gain Some Performancre in Being Able To Use Memory Better And Due To Increase File System Performance, And Others Loose An Unoticable Amount Of Performance As Little As 1 - 5%.
Ive Been Running Windows XP x64 Edition For Almost 2 Years Now

AMD Supposedly Has Plans In Its Next-Gen cpu's That Actually Allow To The Best Of Its Ability To Take Two 32-Bit Lines Of Code And Process Them As A 64-Bit Line Of Code Actually Adding Performance To Most 32-Bit Apps Run On A 64-Bit CPU

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
More And More Programs Are Becoming 64-Bit Coded For Example HL2 With The Latest Patch, Farcry, And Quite A Few Others, The List Is Getting Longer, As For 32-Bit Apps, Some Run The Same Same As They Would A 32-Bit Install Of XP And Others Actually Gain Some Performancre in Being Able To Use Memory Better And Due To Increase File System Performance, And Others Loose An Unoticable Amount Of Performance As Little As 1 - 5%.
Ive Been Running Windows XP x64 Edition For Almost 2 Years Now

AMD Supposedly Has Plans In Its Next-Gen cpu's That Actually Allow To The Best Of Its Ability To Take Two 32-Bit Lines Of Code And Process Them As A 64-Bit Line Of Code Actually Adding Performance To Most 32-Bit Apps Run On A 64-Bit CPU
This is because many 64bit software are just COMPILED, not OPTIMIZED for 64 bit. A good 64 bit compilation should be coupled with SSE3 optimizations and in all these cases there is a good boost in performance.