Problems using Backup

Hello All

I have been tring to use MS Backup (under Accessories>System Tools) to make
copies of files, that I will use as backups.
I want to make a copy of a particular file (in fact the backend data file of
an MS Access mdb) and for the copy to be saved to a specified folder
according to the day of the week - i.e. on Mondays it goes to
\\JULIE\WKHCDatabase, on Tuesdays it goes to \\JOHN\WKHCDatabase, etc .

Am I right to assume that this should be a simple matter, with MS Backup?
The reason I ask is that I have found it extremely difficult to create the 7
scheduled backup jobs to do it successfully. The problem seems to be that
the selection of the file for backup seems not to be 'remembered' by the
system when the job comes to be run - when I go to the backup 'file' (as
opposed to 'folder', which is what I had expected) some of the 'backups'
contain all of the other files in the directory in which the desired file
resides.

If someone out there tells me that this must be my error, and that MS Backup
is great - and perfectly adequate for what I want - I will persevere. But I
have my doubts!

Hope someone can advise.

Many thanks
Leslie Isaacs

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:44:22 -0000, "Leslie Isaacs" <leslie.isaacs@gp-n85011.nhs.uk> wrote:

>Hello All
>
>I have been tring to use MS Backup (under Accessories>System Tools) to make
>copies of files, that I will use as backups.
>I want to make a copy of a particular file (in fact the backend data file of
>an MS Access mdb) and for the copy to be saved to a specified folder
>according to the day of the week - i.e. on Mondays it goes to
>\\JULIE\WKHCDatabase, on Tuesdays it goes to \\JOHN\WKHCDatabase, etc .
>
>Am I right to assume that this should be a simple matter, with MS Backup?
>The reason I ask is that I have found it extremely difficult to create the 7
>scheduled backup jobs to do it successfully. The problem seems to be that
>the selection of the file for backup seems not to be 'remembered' by the
>system when the job comes to be run - when I go to the backup 'file' (as
>opposed to 'folder', which is what I had expected) some of the 'backups'
>contain all of the other files in the directory in which the desired file
>resides.
>
>If someone out there tells me that this must be my error, and that MS Backup
>is great - and perfectly adequate for what I want - I will persevere. But I
>have my doubts!
>
>Hope someone can advise.
>
>Many thanks
>Leslie Isaacs

NTBackup is perfectly adequate to peform this job.
When you configure the backup, log on as the username you will use to schedule it under, so the .BKS file is save properly.
See tip 2265 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Hello Jerold

Thank you for your reply.

I am a little confused though: as part of configuring the backup won't I be
setting the Scheduler options (within the Backup programme), in which case
it will obviously be done under the same logon User Name? Or is it necessary
to use Schedler from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Scheduled Tasks
(as I think I saw suggested at tip 2265 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com)? Does it matter?

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious!

Thanks for your continued help.
Leslie Isaacs

"Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:44:22 -0000, "Leslie Isaacs"
<leslie.isaacs@gp-n85011.nhs.uk> wrote:

> >Hello All
> >
> >I have been tring to use MS Backup (under Accessories>System Tools) to
make
> >copies of files, that I will use as backups.
> >I want to make a copy of a particular file (in fact the backend data file
of
> >an MS Access mdb) and for the copy to be saved to a specified folder
> >according to the day of the week - i.e. on Mondays it goes to
> >\\JULIE\WKHCDatabase, on Tuesdays it goes to \\JOHN\WKHCDatabase, etc .
> >
> >Am I right to assume that this should be a simple matter, with MS Backup?
> >The reason I ask is that I have found it extremely difficult to create
the 7
> >scheduled backup jobs to do it successfully. The problem seems to be that
> >the selection of the file for backup seems not to be 'remembered' by the
> >system when the job comes to be run - when I go to the backup 'file' (as
> >opposed to 'folder', which is what I had expected) some of the 'backups'
> >contain all of the other files in the directory in which the desired file
> >resides.
> >
> >If someone out there tells me that this must be my error, and that MS
Backup
> >is great - and perfectly adequate for what I want - I will persevere. But
> >have my doubts!
> >
> >Hope someone can advise.
> >
> >Many thanks
> >Leslie Isaacs
> >

> NTBackup is perfectly adequate to peform this job.
> When you configure the backup, log on as the username you will use to
schedule it under, so the .BKS file is save properly.
> See tip 2265 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
>

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold

In light of what you said I have been persevering with MS Backup, but the
problem I'm having is that, although I specify one specific file that I want
to backup, what is actually getting backed up is a group of folders -
generally (but not always!) the folders in the path to the specified file.
No files are getting backed up.
e.g.

I specify the file called "gpms.mdb",the address of which is:
C:\Documents and Settings\Payedoc

After the backup has run,when I go to restore, I find that the bkf file
contains the empty folders 'Documents and Settings' and 'Payedoc', and also
the (empty) subfolders of those folders!

I could go on with more detail, but I hope I have given you enough
information for you to be able to say "Les, you're an idiot, you should be
doing it like this!".

Many thanks for all your help.
Les